Boyfriend extremely upset after given Christmas gift

fungal20

Hey there fungal,

Personally, I am inclined to believe that as his girlfriend of more than two years, who has, by your own admission given him many gifts, presumably in a somewhat similar vein, you are emmeniently more qualified than anyone here to gauge his reaction. If it seemed disproportionate and uncharacteristic for him, then I think you are probably right.

Which leads me to believe that this is about something else entirely, and in terms of your question "what do I do about it?", I suggest you approach him, gently, to find out what that something is. Perhaps just tell him, its cool about the blanket, but you're worried that he is so upset and is everything alright with him? Remind him that Christmas gifts are just the icing on the relationship cake, and really, if something is bothering him, whether its about you or not, you're there to talk and work it out with him. 

Good luck,

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

His response was over the top and hurtful. He could have handled that way better even if he didn't like the gift. Yelling at someone that just gave you a gift is totally uncalled for no matter what the gift is unless it is a severed ear or something gross.

I have a feeling this is about more than the blanket, probably that someone else saw you looking all sexy and he reacted badly.

I don't think you should do or say anything to make up for the gift, in fact he is the one that should apologize to you for blowing up like he did. 

Let him stew on it for a while and calm down and then simply ask him "Why did you blow up at me just because you didn't like the blanket?"  If he will not come clean with his own feelings then tell him you were really hurt by the way he reacted and talked you in a raised voice just because you tried to do something nice for him.

He was wrong to act like a child that didn't get the game console they wanted.

Lost

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Lambert said:

I think you should let him cool down.  And let him come to you.    

A grown man throwing a fit over a blanket.  One present.  Not even the only thing you got him.  That's pretty cringe worthy in my book.  And I would be thinking about what the future looks like with guy and consider if it's what I really want.  

Agreed 100% 

6 hours ago, lostandhurt said:

His response was over the top and hurtful. He could have handled that way better even if he didn't like the gift. Yelling at someone that just gave you a gift is totally uncalled for no matter what the gift is unless it is a severed ear or something gross.

I have a feeling this is about more than the blanket, probably that someone else saw you looking all sexy and he reacted badly.

I don't think you should do or say anything to make up for the gift, in fact he is the one that should apologize to you for blowing up like he did. 

Let him stew on it for a while and calm down and then simply ask him "Why did you blow up at me just because you didn't like the blanket?"  If he will not come clean with his own feelings then tell him you were really hurt by the way he reacted and talked you in a raised voice just because you tried to do something nice for him.

He was wrong to act like a child that didn't get the game console they wanted.

Lost

Thanks. I gave him multiple gifts, a new office chair, a few video games and this blanket. Crazy but the blanket cost double of all of the other stuff. My best friend took the photos as she's a photographer and put the gift together so there isn't really anyone else looking at me this way. Plus he doesn't mind showing me off anyway, so the whole thing is frustrating.

7 hours ago, smackie9 said:

I am not going to pick any sides here. Something about this gift triggered something in him to make him react badly. It is up to you to go find out. Tell him "Lets stop with the silent treatment and talk about it." "Help me to understand."

Using this! Thanks much!