Ex apologized to me for his wrongdoing. Is it ever to get back together again?

We broke up almost a year ago. Was a hard break-up, we admitted that we still like each other and that we miss each other all the time, and we both have mentioned to each other that if we ever did talk about our relationship again - it's once we've moved on from the hurt, so I don't think it's a 100% final break up where you never want anything to do with them again. I think because I still to this day felt like we broke up over very odd things and he thought the grass was going to be greener. Sometimes the texts will stop and he'll find a way to contact me weeks or even months later and it's always about how he's sorry about how things ended and just our relationship in general. He'll never directly ask me how things are unless we speak on the phone. But his texts will be wrapped in 'I hope you are truly happy and things are good'. He also apologized for things he did and says that he still feels guilty about a lot of it. He has apologized quite a few times before.

Any input?

**TL;DR** ex has apologized. We still like and care about each other and miss each other all the time. Unsure if his intent is to apologize and get together again down the road or to free himself from guilt.

If he hasn't asked you to consider getting back together,  he probably isn't interested in getting back together.

It's not because he's stubborn or shy or anything else. If he can apologize he certainly can ask for another chance if he wanted one. And he wouldn't vanish for weeks at a time either.

After a year, why keep clinging to the past? You could be moving on by now.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, minute_perception said:

Unsure if his intent is to apologize and get together again down the road or to free himself from guilt.

It's likely neither.  He wants to ensure that you are missing him to fuel his ego.  As I have mentioned in other threads, his biggest fear is that you happily move on from him and make him an afterthought.  It's possible you are playing the same game to some extent.

3 hours ago, boltnrun said:

If he hasn't asked you to consider getting back together,  he probably isn't interested in getting back together.

It's not because he's stubborn or shy or anything else. If he can apologize he certainly can ask for another chance if he wanted one. And he wouldn't vanish for weeks at a time either.

After a year, why keep clinging to the past? You could be moving on by now.

If you have to ask and can't ask him then you have your answer.  When my husband wanted us to get back together (we'd been engaged in the past) he said, after we met up platonically three times "Do you want to get back together?"  See - as simple as that.  And even more simply, after 30 seconds of surprise and some fear (because "getting back together!") I said -after some very random mumbling- 'yes". One word.  That's all it takes when you're on the same page and you're sure.