Should I break up with my bf?

Shanwa

2 years back I met a guy at work and we started dating. We have cultural differences (we are from a place where some parents are too particular about culture), so in the beginning itself I told him "if you feel our cultural differences becomes a hurdle in case if we want to take it further in future, it's better to stop dating right now". He said it won't be a problem.

5 months after we started dating, pandemic started so we moved to our respective hometowns. Then it became a distant relationship but we are in touch all the time. We never had any huge arguments it's all going fine for an year. Then oneday he said if this pandemic continues and we have to stay part for long-time it's better to move seperate ways because we have met each other in person only for 5 months also he added after staying with his parents for an year he's feeling cultural differences might also becomes a hurdle. But he doesn't want to end the relationship right away because of assumptions about future. I felt if he has breakup thoughts then we are just wasting our time, so I tried breaking up with him. But he's not accepting it as everything is going fine as of now. What Is the right way to handle to this situation?

Well, he has brought up the thing you were concerned about... the cultural differences, which seems to have now surfaced.  Plus the distance issue?

then you speak up and say there is no moving forward in this.. and you've wasted enough time.

How do you mean he is not accepting it?  he has no choice.

If you're done, you're done.  If you have explained yourself ( as HE has pretty much admitted it all), then you have every right to leave all of this behind now.

You remove all parts of him from your life.  Do not give in.. No reason to keep talking anymore.. Nothing.

And you move along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He doesn't get to dictate what your choices are.  He doesn't have to accept your efforts to break up with him.  That's his problem.  The right way to handle this situation is to be gentle, respectful, well mannered yet firm.  Since breaking up with him diplomatically is not working for you, then be more adamant.  Text this:  "We're incompatible.  It's time to go our separate ways permanently.  Please do not contact me.  I wish you all the best.  Your name."  You don't have to offer excuses nor explanations since both of you have already done that in the past.  He should honor your request by ceasing to contact you and if he's insistent and relentless, then ignore, ghost, block and delete him.  He doesn't have to like it, however, eventually, he'll finally grudgingly accept your final decision.  Time will allow both of you to move on.

• Thanks 1