He said I love you

coly16

Last August, I gave my number to this guy. He was funny and sweet and I enjoyed talking to him. However, we never actually went out on a date and eventually I got a boyfriend. If you've seen my other posts, my boyfriend ended up cheating. Long story short, when things were getting serious I texted guy 1 and told him that I was going to pursue whatever was happening and didn't want to lead him on. He told me "text me when you guys end. I'll be here." well, I ended the relationship with the cheater and texted him. We've gone on a few days. Rekindled the conversations and all in all have been doing well. He knows I'm fresh out of a relationship and he knows what happened. We've been getting closer and the other night before he hung up he said "Good night. I love you and I mean that." I asked him to repeat himself, thinking I heard wrong. He said the exact same thing. I'm now not sure how to proceed. He said it casually as if we were friends ending a phone called. We've been together physically so we're obviously not just friends. I don't know where to go from here. I haven't even let myself consider loving somebody else yet. I don't want to make a big deal out of something that isn't. Any advice?

Can you explain a little more?

When did you & the ex split up?  And how long have you been with this new guy?

IF you two have not been involved long, it is not 'love;,, especially if you barely really know each other yet.  Love evolves over time, as the bond strengthens, etc.

Is more like 'lust',  I've had a guy say this ( but he's known me for a long while).  I did not respond with the same .

Don't believe everything you hear...

I am a little concerned that you may not be over your ex yet.... So, is it a good idea to get involved again..?

On 8/14/2021 at 4:51 PM, coly16 said:

Last August, I gave my number to this guy. He was funny and sweet and I enjoyed talking to him. However, we never actually went out on a date and eventually I got a boyfriend. If you've seen my other posts, my boyfriend ended up cheating. Long story short, when things were getting serious I texted guy 1 and told him that I was going to pursue whatever was happening and didn't want to lead him on. He told me "text me when you guys end. I'll be here." well, I ended the relationship with the cheater and texted him. We've gone on a few days. Rekindled the conversations and all in all have been doing well. He knows I'm fresh out of a relationship and he knows what happened. We've been getting closer and the other night before he hung up he said "Good night. I love you and I mean that." I asked him to repeat himself, thinking I heard wrong. He said the exact same thing. I'm now not sure how to proceed. He said it casually as if we were friends ending a phone called. We've been together physically so we're obviously not just friends. I don't know where to go from here. I haven't even let myself consider loving somebody else yet. I don't want to make a big deal out of something that isn't. Any advice?

I think you may have answered your own question or provided the most sound advice to yourself: "He said it casually as if we were friends ending a phone call". 

It was casual so take it with a generous helping of salt. He can say whatever he likes but until his actions follow any words those words are empty. Enjoy your time together and see where it goes. 

Archived