Think you got what it takes to raise a child....?

roofer girl,

i agree with your post but maybe im just speaking for myself but i know i wont have a child until i have the money it takes to provide it with a home, food, clothing, diapers etc...its mucho dinero. and until those necessities can be providable for the child will it be possible to raise it the right way...(including endless love, devotion & dedication of course).

-DG724

Dragon girl, thanks for your positive attitude!!!!!!! (being sarcastic).

Children are the BEST thing and I am sick and tired of parents who mumble about thier kids. I have dealt with kids for several years...just all humans they have faults, but they are a joy to be with, and I would not trade being with kids for anything else in the world.

ALso, it doesn't neccessarily cost $250,000 to raise a child. As I wrote in a previous thread, raising children in a healthy manner can be done for a fraction of that cost...it all depends on how wise you are with your money, and whether you know how to take advantage of freebies and cheap stuff!!!!!!!

Children are awesome. Abortion is evil!!!!!! I want to have two kids naturally, and raise two adopted kids (4 altogether). I know some adoptive parents raise 15 kids...so 4 isn't unreasonable. Spend wisely, love your children and discipline them in love, and you will find that children are awesome.

hey rain,

this post was for those who think that they can have a baby when in all reality they dont have the means necessary to.

LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I DIDNT WRITE THE ARTICLE OKAY?!? if you want to, read it, if not, do us all a favor and dont.

"I am sick and tired of parents who mumble about thier kids"

"Children are awesome. Abortion is evil!!!!!! I want to have two kids naturally, and raise two adopted kids (4 altogether). I know some adoptive parents raise 15 kids...so 4 isn't unreasonable. Spend wisely, love your children and discipline them in love, and you will find that children are awesome."

LMFAO do you think im a parent complaining about my kids or something??!!?! IM 22 YEARS OLD! I DONT HAVE ANY CHILDREN!

ABORTION IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT TOPIC WHO THE HELL EVEN MENTIONED ABORTION?! you directed your reply to me so I ASSUME YOU THINK I MENTIONED ABORTION AT ALL DURING THIS TOPIC! WHICH I CLEARLY DID NOT! YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT PEOPLE WHO 'ASSUME' RIGHT? GREAT HAVE 50,000 KIDS WHO CARES. DO WHATEVER YOU WANT NO ONE HERE IS BASHING YOU OR YOUR DECISIONS.

AND WHO THE HECK SAID THAT CHILDREN ARENT AWESOME?! you need to read before you reply.

-DG724

Children are the BEST thing and I am sick and tired of parents who mumble about thier kids. I have dealt with kids for several years...just all humans they have faults, but they are a joy to be with, and I would not trade being with kids for anything else in the world.

Whether children are the "best" thing is a highly individual opinon. Not everyone is cut out to be a parent. Personally, I never wanted any, and am just fine living a completely child-free existence. Forget smoking/non-smoking sections in restaurants, I don't really care about that...but a kid/no-kid section...now there's an idea I'd love to see implemented. I don't find them a "joy" to be around, and I never have.

Here's the thing...most people in their teens or early twenties are still trying to figure out who they are. There's a really good chance that they haven't seriously, realistically determined if they're good mommy or daddy material yet. In the same way people can buy into a romantic ideal of a relationship, they can also buy into a romantic ideal of being a parent and having a family. I believe the original intent of this post was to give a view of the reality of being a parent.

Kids are expensive in terms of both time and money. There is no getting around that. I don't care how much financial management you do, there comes a point where there isn't enough money, time and attention to go around.

Those people you are sick and tired of because they complain about their kids are probably people who could've greatly benefitted from postponing parenthood or not becoming parents at all. You're sick and tired of them. I'm sick and tired of people who continue to have children even though they can't afford them, then expect assistance from WIC, food stamps, and other programs that MY tax dollars are funding.

I'm sick and tired of people who continue to have children even though they can't afford them, then expect assistance from WIC, food stamps, and other programs that MY tax dollars are funding.

MY POINT EXACTLY! that was really the reasoning behind this post topic.

shes2smart, you should have had 100 children! we need more of 'your type' roaming this earth.

*kid/no kid section of restaurants*.........GENIUS!

im a waitress & a bartender...i know all too well how much of a great idea that is. lol

ill have kids one day, preferrably 3. most, if not all of them, boys . but until then i will stay on the pill until i am married, have a career, and have what it takes to be an awesome parent.

-DG724

shes2smart, you should have had 100 children! we need more of 'your type' roaming this earth.

The world ain't ready for that many smart-mouthed, curmudgeonly old biddies screaming, "You little brats get outta my yard!"

Besides, the lower half of my body is in pain just thinking 'bout birthin' 100 babies.... You're evil.

I think that the problem is that so few children are being born that the world's population is going to be start shrinking soon. The fact is that the average woman in the world will only have 1.8 kids. Now common sense tells you that you every woman would need to have atleast 2.0 kids for the Earth's population to remain the same (because men don't give birth to kids). In fact, considering that many children die before reaching reproductive age, every woman would have to have around 2.1 kids. So since the number of children being born is below replacement level, the earth's population growth is dramatically slowing down, and soon it will be shrinking. IN many parts of the world this is already the case (ie. Germany, Italy, and other European nations). When the population shrinks, the younger generation is unable to support the older generation, and this will lead to the euthanasia of millions of elderly people. Stores of knowledge and ability that humans have accumulated will be lost as the older generations will die off, and cities and communities will empty out. So the solution is to have more kids!!!!!!!!!

Any look at stats tells you we are suffering OVERPOPULATION in the world. If everyone woman has 1.8 kids, and those kids have 1.8 kids and so on, underpopulation is the LAST thing you need to worry about. More people = more resources needed = more pollution = less environment = less food, less heat, less water. Talk to most people "in the know" about resources and population and the last thing that one should be worrying about is "not enough people".

You make a HUGE jump from "smaller populations in Germany" to euthanasia and to the loss of intellectual property. Intellectual knowledge gets passed down, and people die whether you bring more into the world or not..you are basing your "facts" on a sketchy understanding on the current population patterns.

ARE YOU KIDDING?!

The current annual population increase of about 80 million will remain constant until 2015. Currently world population is growing by about 80 million people per year.

read the stats!:

link removed

this post was meant to inform those who can not financially provide for their children maybe its not the best idea to have any at that time! rain, youre on something else here...

-DG724

If you actually take the time to study demographics, you will find that 1.8 kids per woman is a dangerously low number. It is a media myth that the world is becoming over populated. In the past that fear might have been legitimate, but now that the birth rate has dropped to 1.8 kids per woman, that means that we are below replacement levels (you need atleast 2 kids per woman for a population to remain stable...anything below that and the population MUST shrink. Do the math.). Thus, the worlds population growth will slow down and at around 2070, we will be having as many dying as babies being born. After that, fewer babies will be born to replace those who will die, and the world's population will shrink. This has been proven by numerous sociologists at respectable universities around the world. Its science.

Italy's population is expected to shrink from 55 million to around 15 million. China is also going to shrink dramatically. The one child policy has meant that the replacement population is only around half what the current population is...do the math. There is going to be massive population shrinkages around the world.

I am not even going to bother to get into this after this post as this is NOT the topic of the thread and we should not be taking it away from dragongirl like this anymore, but I do still disagree with your idea that having less people will be bad. We hardly have enough sustainable resources now to take care of how many people are in the world, how would you account for even more?

We had a baby boom many years ago, and since then there HAVE been less such "booms" but that is not a bad thing, unless you are looking at purely how to support older generations on younger generations money. And I STILL don't know where this idea of euthanasia came from, or where you get idea that world wide more babies will die then are born. There are some areas in world where yes infant mortality is high (states included) but in some parts this is also DUE to high demands on health care system (ie US) due to such high populations, and so much poverty.

You try and make it sound simple, but it is not. There are also is a lot of "science" I can refer to that does indicate that we are not in jeopardy from a smaller population.

Anyway, stick to the topic of the thread which is the individual person raising individual children and to have people think more about it carelessly bringing children into the world.

It is not true that there are not enough resources for everyone on the planet. IN fact, there is far more resources than we need. We have enough food to feed 9 billion people, even though the world's population is only 6 billion. The problem isn't a lack of resources. The problem is that certain countries (esp. AMERICA) take up far more than their fair share of the earth's resources. I am not America bashing, but the fact is that every Chinese person lived as every American did, we would need 3 Earths just to support the Chinese. Americans (esp. George Bush) aren't willing to share thier resources and that is why there is poverty in the world. Georgle Bush recently only coughed up less than 1 billion dollars to help Africa, yet he spends hundreds of billions killing people in Iraq (and claims he wants to create a "culture of life"). George Bush is the cause of poverty and suffering around the world.

OH MY GOD! MODERATORS PLEASE CLOSE THIS TOPIC!

OR ERASE THOSE POSTS THAT DO NOT REFER TO THE TOPIC AT HAND PLEASE!!!! SENSELESS RAMBLING ABOUT THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, UNPROVEN "FACTS" THAT AMERICA IS STEALING ALLOF THE WORLD'S NATURAL RESOURCES ETC...., THIS IS REDICULOUS AND NEEDS TO END.

THANK YOU!!!!

-DG724

You are never going to have a perfect allocation of resources.

I think the idea that most of the poverty of the world and lack of resources is caused by American greed is a little rediculous.

That being said, yeah, quit squirting rugrats people. Worry about raising a few right instead of a dozen wrong.

Finally since everybody hear seems to think kids are so great (except for the people who don't that is) there are a lot of spoiled and nasty annoying kids out there, and this is coming from somebody who kids generally like.

A lot of kids are great but then some kids just suck. And it isn't just their parents (although that is often times the factor), they are prone to being really nasty.

Oh yeah and finally say no to drugs, unless you are terminally ill -- then take whatever you want cuz you are gonna die anyway.