Grieving the loss of my former company

Stratford

I spent most of my career at a single company. I started entry level, worked my way through the ranks and after more than a decade made it into senior management. There were good years, there were bad years, but through it all I made friends and colleagues, learned how to get the best from people, and we were well on the way to a better corporate future. Last year we were bought out by a competitor. Not many from my company survived the transition and now I feel like I’m trapped in a foreign land. I don’t know these people, my friends are gone, the relationships I built don’t matter anymore, and the vultures are circling waiting for me to die so they can pick my team apart for themselves. On the one hand, I’m thankful that I still have a great job. On the other hand, it feels like I’m just dying a slow death now. Not really sure what I expected to get from this post but you may be the only people I have to talk to now. 

6 hours ago, Stratford said:

Not many from my company survived the transition and now I feel like I’m trapped in a foreign land.

I worked for a company that was bought out, and it was a little frustrating at times to see how the politics played out. 

Have you considered applying elsewhere? What's stopping you?

Do you feel maybe that you have outgrown the company? That perhaps you have learned and mastered all the things you needed to in the environment that you once thrived in. I like the questions posited above. Like have you considered looking at other companies or perhaps opening your own company on the side to see how it does before you considered leaving? I wish you the best. Sometimes we just outgrow an organization and need to rely on our confidence and value to move forward. Good luck to you.

Good points from all of you. I think the biggest thing keeping me here is the money. If I wasn’t employed here I would definitely switch industries but no other industry accessible to me in this location can pay like this. That pay check supports a good life for my wife and kids that I don’t feel I can risk right now. With COVID, job mobility has been pretty much dead around here the last year. As for starting my own company, if I felt the risk was manageable I would love it but the economy is brutal here right now. Maybe in a year or two. Nice to get feedback from other real people though. Thank you. 

Are you missing the people you lost or the old ways the company was run?  Being comfortable and having a nice place to work to me is worth way more than an extra 10K a year in my pocket.  I just retired after 30 years at the same place.  When I started there my boss was horrible and going to work was a chore so when I got promoted I vowed to make sure my people were protected and the workplace would never be a chore to come to each day.  It kinda sounds like you are missing the relationships you had built, not so much the company.

There has to be a few solid people in the new workforce you can start again with isn't there?  Perhaps a younger person you can mentor.  You sound like a good guy that had the respect and friendship of the people that worked for you and with you.  In time these new people (the good ones) will see that in you as well and gravitate towards you and you to them.  Be smart though and watch your back, these buyouts often bring on people that have a title but zero experience and when they screw up they will probably start throwing people under the bus to cover themselves.

It is kind of like moving to a new city as a kid and having to make new friends and go to a new school. You miss your old life and friends but there are a lot of possibilities...

Lost

Archived