Should I ask to be transferred back?

The past seven years I have been a part-time cashier at a supermarket in my town. Last October, I got transferred (and promoted to full-time) to the supermarket that is 45 minutes away from me. Suffice to say, the commute is not working well. During a ride home where the weather was a blizzard, I lost control of my bodily functions and urinated all over myself. I also feared for my life driving home because the roads were so horrible.

I decided to make an appointment with my doctor to have her write a note explaining that the commute is not working for the new job, and to request if it is possible to please transfer me back to the supermarket in my town as a full-time cashier.

However is a doctors note necessary? Or should I just ask on my own?

After 7 years of cashier experience, aren't there numerous other jobs where you could be hired in your own town? Perhaps even for more pay? No, I wouldn't give anyone a doctor's note. Knowing your work history, the other store might take you back if there's a full time position, but if there's not, what would they do with a doctor's note? Fire someone else so you could have the spot. Not going to happen.

I agree- no doctor's note -many people commute 45 minutes or more for work.  The commute works fine other than in bad weather -which is same for everyone. And if you are incontinent you can take medication for that I believe but it sounds like you were temporarily incontinent because of the circumstances.  I'd ask for a transfer back and also look for a cashier job closer to home.  I'm sorry the commute was scary!

18 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I agree- no doctor's note -many people commute 45 minutes or more for work.  The commute works fine other than in bad weather -which is same for everyone. And if you are incontinent you can take medication for that I believe but it sounds like you were temporarily incontinent because of the circumstances.  I'd ask for a transfer back and also look for a cashier job closer to home.  I'm sorry the commute was scary!

She is Autistic and was terrified, not incontinent. Many Autistic people have issues with driving. 

A doctor’s note won’t help but I would ask for a transfer for peace of mind. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, Andrina said:

After 7 years of cashier experience, aren't there numerous other jobs where you could be hired in your own town? Perhaps even for more pay? 

Being a cashier is honestly the only job I've been able to keep since graduating college. (I'm also an artist, cartoonist, and author. But obviously those take awhile to guarantee a steady paycheck with benefits.)

2 hours ago, TulipWriter said:

Being a cashier is honestly the only job I've been able to keep since graduating college. (I'm also an artist, cartoonist, and author. But obviously those take awhile to guarantee a steady paycheck with benefits.)

Has anyone ever paid you to create art, written material or cartoons and if so did it involve a deadline?

1 minute ago, TulipWriter said:

I have submitted to companies/publishers. No luck yet.

Right - so what I would do it work on employable skills that would permit you to have more and better options.  You can do that with actual training or you can read books and practice things like being places on time, working on attention to detail, following up appropriately, being reliable when there is a deadline. All those things will be essential if you ever are paid to write or create art.  

3 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Right - so what I would do it work on employable skills that would permit you to have more and better options.  You can do that with actual training or you can read books and practice things like being places on time, working on attention to detail, following up appropriately, being reliable when there is a deadline. All those things will be essential if you ever are paid to write or create art.  

I have my artwork on Redbubble, which is a site for artists to post their work. People can order artwork on a variety of items.

3 minutes ago, TulipWriter said:

I have my artwork on Redbubble, which is a site for artists to post their work. People can order artwork on a variety of items.

That's nice!  What do you do daily other than posting your artwork to network, to find opportunities to create art for people who will pay for it, etc etc and what do you do to improve your job prospects/employable skills?

Archived