How should I proceed?

I meet this girl at a programming meetup. She claims to have been only programming for a year and already landed a successful job.

She went to university as did I, but she also went to a boot camp on top of that. My friend went to a boot camp as well as university and also landed a job.

We just talked about some tech stuff and exchanged numbers on the way out. I didn’t get any vibes or anything like that.

Today she randomly texted me asking if I wanted a referral for a job that she works at. I said yes and there was a little back and forth with reguards to sending a resume and cover letter.

I sent it and felt like fine let’s leave it there and felt good.

Here’s where it started to get weird. She sends it back to me saying I would suggest editing this or that. It’s just a simple cover letter a page long. I explained that if I went into detail it would get too large.

The edits pertain to explain certain technologies I used in building web applications, or maybe explaining more about the web applications and what purpose they serve.

I figured no big deal whatever I will rewrite it, basically this all happened while I was working. Without access to a computer and figured out how to rewrite it and attach my resume just via my phone (great that I learned this).

Again she comes back with more edits saying this is an incomplete sentence and there were some spelling errors (2 words out of four additional paragraphs I wrote without a spell checker, on my phone and within half an hour) and now she agrees with me how it’s too long.

I’m frustrated but I decide to play nice and explain how I am just sending this via my phone. Jokingly I said, ‘are you sure you are not a recruiter’. Just based on how critical she was being over a cover letter I have sent on hundreds of applications.

She comes back, ‘haha how can we know if you can code if you can’t spell ;)’. I was taken back a bit. I’m guessing it was suppose to be a joke, but it just seemed rude and uncalled for.

Furthermore she contacted me after I had sent her a link to a website I had built, and other examples of code I wrote on my repository. I just don’t understand if I should let this slide and send the cover letter again or just move on and ignore her if she contacts me again, just based on that comment.

Am I being too sensitive?

I think you are being too sensitive. It was just a joke, she has been helping you with the edits after all.

Honestly, I would not have tried to edit on the phone, but would have told her I would come back the next day with the updated cover letter. You want it to be right, not have to go back and forth.

I agree that you should've told her that you would wait to get home and edit it instead of doing it in a rush at work on your cellphone. Edit it if you want it but take your time and then resend it.

From what you tell me she just seems to want to help and that she was joking. I wouldn't be too pressed about it, at least for now.

I think you are a bit too sensitive. While she was joking, there is some truth to it. She's trying to help you out with the referral, but if you were a poor candidate (e.g. spelling mistakes, seemingly halfheartedly made CV) that will make her look bad at her job. So take that in consideration, and - if you really want the job - present yourself from your best side.

I swallowed my pride and end up resubmitting the cover letter after another two revisions. You guys were right, she was just joking. I guess its hard to decipher the context or tone from an email. Also, she submitted the application and even offered to help meet me for coffee and give me some tips for the interview process. So all in all, it was good that i followed through rather then getting upset about this comment.

I've known people that have taken classes or rewrote their resume based on notes by people from the computer. They know what you need to get the job. She didn't have to give notes, or even offer to submit your resume. That's pretty awesome that she did. Be thankful for a hand up wherever it may come from.

I review thousands of resume each year. If you misspell, I automatically assume you aren't detail-oriented, and pass on the candidate asap.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived