What Lesson Can Be Learned From This Experience?

MIApac

For many years, I've played on a recreational kickball team. In my first year, my then-new team won a championship, with me making the game winning catch. Over the next few seasons, the team continued to be successful, despite some turnover of new people. Over the next few seasons one of the new members of the team began to gain influence over team decisions, largely because he would buy the team drinks after each game and began to take the game a little too seriously. The team started to struggle, particularly in the playoffs and he would openly blame teammates for losses and have them forced off the team. Eventually, I became the focus of his frustrations after dropping a few fly balls in the outfield and for laughing at his drunken motivational speech after a game.

The following summer, I was forced off the team and joined a new, much more easygoing team and made some new friends. That season, my new team struggled and missed the playoffs, while my old team ended up quitting the league after once again losing in the playoffs. The next season, I helped my new team win a championship by beating the same team that always used to beat my old team. Some of my friends think that my story is a little inspirational and that there is an important lesson to be learned from this experience?

What lesson can be learned from this experience?

• 1 month later...

Archived