Wife's brother threatening his life for money.

Wife's brother is lazy and is bad with money. Whether he is working or not, he is spending money like it's nothing. He borrowed a bunch of money from a loan place, and needs to pay some back really soon.

So, now, he is "asking" my wife to borrow money again. He never paid back the money from last time she let him borrow money, and she said never again.

The problem is he tries to make my wife feel guilty or feel like things in his life will get messed up because of her. This time, he is threatening suicide if she doesn't give him the money! What should we do?

Wife's brother is lazy and is bad with money. Whether he is working or not, he is spending money like it's nothing. He borrowed a bunch of money from a loan place, and needs to pay some back really soon.

So, now, he is "asking" my wife to borrow money again. He never paid back the money from last time she let him borrow money, and she said never again.

The problem is he tries to make my wife feel guilty or feel like things in his life will get messed up because of her. This time, he is threatening suicide if she doesn't give him the money! What should we do?

Next time he threatens that you call the police and an ambulance and state he is threatening suicide.

He's a con man. Tell the cops he's extorting you. Tell this scam artist that as well. You need to start a paper trail. Even though you'll never recover any money. Sever all ties.

He never paid back the money from last time she let him borrow money, and she said never again. This time, he is threatening suicide if she doesn't give him the money! What should we do?

Having been surrounded by people who think I'm lazy and bad with money, I can tell you it is easy to feel infantilised and start acting out and tantruming.

That said, I agree with everyone here. Not your responsibility and protecting your family should be first.

Archived