Fighting back?

TurtleDog

So, I have a terrible roommate who wont pay for bills unless prompted to, shorts me money on some bills, refuses to do any of the household maintenance like cleaning or taking out the trash.

She recently moved in someone else without asking me, the person didnt have a job and has been living there for 3 months now without paying any bills, and ever since he came in he has been making the electric bill go over $100 and he hogs the bandwidth for the WiFi. He was supposed to give me half of his half of the rent this month but has not paid anything.

My roommate has given me money for the WiFi and rent, but I feel like the bills should be split 3 ways and if her friend is living with us without my permission or the landlord's permission then she needs to also pay his half of the bills, because its not fair to me to have some random person come in and live with us and I never said whether or not it was okay.

Is it okay that I withhold the internet from them until they pay up despite the fact that she has paid her half? Because if I give her the password then her friend will also have it too and I dont like this free ride he is getting from us.

Is you actual room mate on the lease or are you the only one on it. If you're both on it then fine but if you're the only one then you're in breach of your lease just as much as she is in breach of it with you.

I agree that you should get tough but You should know your obligations and rights according to your lease before you do.

So: Are you both on the lease?

Personally, I'd be asking them both to leave.

Is you actual room mate on the lease or are you the only one on it. If you're both on it then fine but if you're the only one then you're in breach of your lease just as much as she is in breach of it with you.

I agree that you should get tough but You should know your obligations and rights according to your lease before you do.

So: Are you both on the lease?

Personally, I'd be asking them both to leave.

Myself and one of my roommates is on the lease, not the guy she moved in. I have called the landlord and he wont do anything about it.

I would be getting quite childish if all else failed then .... I would literally divide the cutlery and crockery etc and only wash my own and I would have post its everywhere when a bill comes in saying what their contribution is , or you wont pay yours ....she knows you will pay that's why she gets away with it ... so don't pay , can you cope getting cut off for a day just to prove your point ...

Also have a look at your lease , your landlord I am sure has an insurance problem if an uninvited guest has moved in , so you might have to get a bit dirty with him as well ..not literally .

I would be getting quite childish if all else failed then .... I would literally divide the cutlery and crockery etc and only wash my own and I would have post its everywhere when a bill comes in saying what their contribution is , or you wont pay yours ....she knows you will pay that's why she gets away with it ... so don't pay , can you cope getting cut off for a day just to prove your point ...

Also have a look at your lease , your landlord I am sure has an insurance problem if an uninvited guest has moved in , so you might have to get a bit dirty with him as well ..not literally .

By insurance problem and getting dirty, do you mean mentioning to him that if the uninvited guest gets hurt on his property then he could go after the landlord?

I did. Thats whats causing a problem, my roommate says she has anxiety issues when she doesnt have internet, but then she wont pay for it, or I have to beg her for the money.

Then she can set up her own internet.

"Anxiety issues" from no internet? That's hilarious.

yes something along those lines ..as a last resort , I don't like to encourage anyone to start with this kind of stuff , but you are hitting a brick wall with everything else .

I informed him before that my roommate had moved someone else in, he said he would call her and tell her it wasn't allowed, but 2 weeks later he is still here.

Archived