Struggling to eat, wanting to feel better

Brownhairgirl

I had just recently broke up with my first boyfriend and I am recovering from it still. I have stopped crying these past few days and started to feel okay emotionally. However, I noticed that my physical health has not been so great. The first day of the break up, I barley ate any food and hence my stomach is suffering right now. I have lost 10lbs over the past few days, which seems pretty crazy to me. I normally do not drink much water and started to drink more as I knew I was dehydrated from crying so much. However, my urine is clear and not sure should I keep drinking. I have been unable to eat as much as I normally would. I find it difficult to eat, I had only recently started to eat more- especially foods that are more liquidized such as congee. However, I would find myself up in the middle of the night wanting to eat, going to bed feeling hungry, but unable to down any food. At times when I would eat, I would start gagging- I have started to take antacids to get rid of the stomach acid and to stop the gagging, now I am simply burping often and it feels like I have a lump in my throat. I also got my period the other day, and have been sleeping most of my days off. I am worried at this point for my physical health as I am graduating tomorrow afternoon and want to feel better as soon as possible. Can anyone relate to this and tell me how to get over it? I want to start feeling better soon as I know I have a weak immune system to begin with. My ex and I are still talking on daily bases- simple things such as checking in from time to time. We have not been together for long and I think I am feeling okay emotionally- however my stomach is not feeling the greatest at this point. I am burning more calories than I have and I have not even gone out the past few days. What should I do? Thank you in advance.

You are suffering from extreme stress, OP. And it is manifesting in these physical symptoms. People often go through this dismal period after a break up or divorce. I don't think it is helpful that you are still in contact with the ex.

I would suggest a check up with a physician and get something to kick start your appetite.

I can understand this; I lose my appetite after a breakup, and food - all food - tastes like dust for a few weeks.

Make sure you're taking in enough fluids, and there are also vitamin supplements you can take which will help to boost your immune system. The fact that you are still having periods is a positive sign. Your body will tell you when you need to eat and drink, and all you can do really is go with the flow, and let yourself know that the feelings will all pass with time. The first time we have a breakup is inevitably the worst, not just for all the very painful emotions, but never having had the experience of living through them and then coming out the other side.

(((HUGS)))

Drink a little juice if you can manage it; that way you are at least still taking in nutrients. Otherwise, what you are going through is normal. I lost almost 20 pounds after I got dumped last year but after a little while mu appetite came back and I put the weight back on quickly; it was mostly glycogen and water, not fat or muscle. What you are going through is normal, it will pass, and the human body is designed to be able to handle it.

Try a liquid nutritional supplement until you can manage solid food again. It will give you the calories and some of the nutrients that your body needs.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope that soon the day comes when you wake up feeling a little better, even if just for a few minutes. Brighter days are ahead.

Sorry you are going through this.

First break ups are the worst and hurt like hell. But you WILL get better and you WILL be okay and you WILL be HAPPY again, I know it's hard to imagine, but it will be okay.

Try to get a better eating regime in place and take it one day at a time, small steps as you don't want to shock your body into eating a steak all of a sudden after days of a liquid diet.

I definitely am completely disinterested in food after a break up, and also got abdominal aches from the anxiety. This was horrible and worried me a bit, I took responsibility for the latter eventually and calmed myself and took an effort to make myself feel better, because I didn't want to hurt my body.

You have to step up and take charge if you don't want your body to suffer.

It seems hard at first but you'll thank yourself after you see improvements.

Good luck. x

After my breakup I would eat my guilty pleasures just to get some calories. I couldn't stomach a salad but could at least manage a small fry from McDonalds.

If you notice you're not eating much - which is normal - go ahead and have chocolate or cheese or something. Some calories is better than nothing.

You are suffering from extreme stress, OP. And it is manifesting in these physical symptoms. People often go through this dismal period after a break up or divorce. I don't think it is helpful that you are still in contact with the ex.

I would suggest a check up with a physician and get something to kick start your appetite.

I immediately went to the doctor after this and got help! Thank you'

Archived