Had to Give Away My Cat Today

Binoo

Are you kidding? That poor ****ing cat.

Comes from an abusive household, goes into a brand new environment (not "stressful," absolutely traumatizing for many, if not most, grown cats), sprayed by water by someone she's unfamiliar with living with, scruffed (adult cats' weights aren't meant to be suspended by the scruff), apparently approached and ****ed with even when it's visibly mad (why you even have to cue him not to is well beyond me).

Did you ever put your foot down? As much as I'm fuming at the guy right now, you should know better than him as the responsible owner and should have been asserting yourself. Chalking it up to her being from an abused home and your fiancee being big is, and I'm sorry to say, BS. There's so much wrong here to go around.

The correct answer was, "Yes, I'll make sure she's out of the house. I will be, too."

Look, I get that some people are just ****ty animal people, so I'll try not to completely vilify the guy. A lot of what he did boils down to common enough ignorance... still absolutely inexcusable, but unfortunately perpetuated by enough myths. That's where you failed in your responsibility. Regardless, should it end up you stay with this guy, I'd implore you not to get any more innocent animals mixed up with him and please do a better job asserting yourself when it comes to the well-being of the remaining cat.

+1000 for this post. I call BS too on the whole "the cat is scared of men and my fiancé is so big", total BS. Honestly OP, I don't want to be harsh but I have to be, you're a crap owner for not standing up for your cat.

Imagine if this was your child, a human, a small child who hasn't yet developed the logic and verbal skills to communicate their feelings of fear and anxiety and can't probably process or communicate mistreatment by an adult. This child moves into an unfamiliar environment with a STRANGER (your fiancé), and your fiancé takes upon himself to "discipline" this child by hitting him/her, and physically punishing her in other ways where he thinks she's "misbehaved", so much so that the child is developing behavioural issues, and when he/she finally fights back, he push even further to try to force them into submission and they bite or hit him to defend themselves and they did a good job of injuring him. And your fiancé blame your child for being naughty and demand you send him/her away. Would you do it?

Your fiancé is an unkind person and is a total a**hole for what he did to the cat and for asking you to get rid of it in an hour. Sorry just 1000 nope.

Being cruel to pets is also a sign of an abuser in other ways, so much so that it's a question that's asked by police in domestic violence interviews. THAT'S why I'd be having massive second thoughts about the fiancé... well, I'd have been out of there the moment he started treating her badly...

And yet she had the cat for 3 years with no problem whatsoever. Funny that.

Doesn't matter, completely irrelevant, please don't use that excuse. It wouldn't work for a pitlbull ripping someone to shreds and it shouldn't be used here. Animals don't get blame and for that reason don't get excuses either. Trying to make excuses for an animal is implying that it could be blamed for something and they can't.

Doesn't matter, completely irrelevant, please don't use that excuse. It wouldn't work for a pitlbull ripping someone to shreds and it shouldn't be used here. Animals don't get blame and for that reason don't get excuses either. Trying to make excuses for an animal is implying that it could be blamed for something and they can't.

I don't know what you're on about "trying to make excuses for an animal is implying that it could be blamed for something".

Moving to new environments is stressful for a cat and they need to get used to it. Harsh punishment doesn't work on cat especially the way her fiancé has been doing it. Approaching a cat when it's hissing and angry you will be sure to get scratched and bitten (I've got scratched and bitten many times by my cat, albeit minor, when he's irritated. That's just what they do). Cats don't get put down for biting and scratching, unlike dogs, and there's a reason for that. So what you said doesn't make any sense.

I don't know what you're on about "trying to make excuses for an animal is implying that it could be blamed for something".

Moving to new environments is stressful for a cat and they need to get used to it. Harsh punishment doesn't work on cat especially the way her fiancé has been doing it. Approaching a cat when it's hissing and angry you will be sure to get scratched and bitten (I've got scratched and bitten many times by my cat, albeit minor, when he's irritated. That's just what they do). Cats don't get put down for biting and scratching, unlike dogs, and there's a reason for that. So what you said doesn't make any sense.

Absolutely, punishment does not work on a cat. It only serves to make them worse .

The reason why you don't understand is because you think animals think and act like human beings.

Archived