i love fake ...

I do think you are still a virgin if you use a dildo before you have intercourse. I believe that technically you have to have penetration by a penis ( or in some people's views, have oral sex ). If inanimate objects could cause you to lose your virginity, then the same thing could be said about using tampons...

Using dildos is just a form of self-stimulation, and masturbation cannot take away your virginity.

My dictionary says a virgin is: 'a girl or woman who has not had sexual intercourse with a man; without experience of sexual intercourse'.

It's an older and thereforeeee less politically correct dictionary. So men are not mentioned except perhaps by inference in the second definition.

The way that a virgin was traditionally known to be 'virgo intacta' was that the hymen was not broken. However, the hymen can be broken in all sorts of ways, including exercise or a tampon. The fact that the hymen is broken does not mean a woman is not a virgin.

By the "technical" old fashioned definition - maybe, but I consider a virgin someone who has not had sexual intercourse involving penetration from a male (and I would include both vaginal and anal penetration in this....different people have different ideas on this though and on oral as well).

Of course, there can be variance in this - if you are a lesbian and have sex with another female and use dildos/vibrators, does this mean you are a virgin forever? I would say that in this latter case maybe by definition you are but emotionally and physically you aren't.

I guess ehm... there is no answer left in my head now.

You are right, Ray!

Didn't think of that, would this mean we need a different definition of virgin for lesbians? Because if not, for a woman to be touched by a man 'sexually' but with no penetration, we'd have to say she is no virgin anymore.

Which I think is not what is thought generally.

Ilse.

I guess ehm... there is no answer left in my head now.

You are right, Ray!

Didn't think of that, would this mean we need a different definition of virgin for lesbians? Because if not, for a woman to be touched by a man 'sexually' but with no penetration, we'd have to say she is no virgin anymore.

Which I think is not what is thought generally.

Ilse.

Confusing isn't it? Kind of why I tend to think of being a virgin as being more of an emotional thing as well as physical. We use the term virgin for males too for example, but then the true definition would not apply either right? So it has to be a mindset or cultural reference for it. Explains why so many people seem to have so many different ideas of what it means or does not mean!