He's very broke but treats me like a queen

MissB23

One of my criteria for a partner is that he is able to support himself financially. I can support myself, and he should be able to as well. My current boyfriend makes less than I, and he has two kids, so money is tight for him. We trade off paying for things, or we split things (i.e. on a weekend trip, we might each pay for one night of the hotel, and we'll each pay for a few meals). I don't expect him to pay for everything for me, but I DO expect him to pay his own rent, buy his own groceries, pay his own bills, etc. -- as I do mine. If/when we get married, I would expect to split most things, but since we're not, and we have separate bills, he needs to be able to pay his own. That said, if there was an emergency (i.e. an unexpected expense) that he couldn't afford at the moment, I would help out if it was an amount I could afford to give.

It sounds, in this case, as though this guy depends on you 100% financially, and without you, he'd be starving and homeless. No matter how nicely he treats you (and I agree with the poster who said that of course he treats you well because you're his source of income), this is not a recipe for a healthy relationship. You need to consider whether you can accept this arrangement as a long-term thing because it sounds like it will be.

How do you expect him to succeed if you're not supporting his dream? Stop focusing on his negative side and concentrate more on what he's bringing to this relationship. What's the point of dating a guy who's 'already there ' if he doesn't treat you like a queen? When he does make it, he will make you incredibly happy. So help him with all your heart he needs you beyond what you can imagine.

Archived