Attracted to guy that looks like ex...

So I've been single for over 2 months now after my ex broke up with me. I'm slowly healing, but it's hard and I still love him very much. I've been so hurt I feel like I've been masking my pain by hooking up with guys - I know, it's a terrible thing to do but I have somehow found comfort in it. This past weekend I was camping and I saw a guy that reminded me physically of my ex. We ended up hooking up that night - and he was 3 years younger than me! I feel awful that I don't know if I was attracted to this guy because he seemed like a cool person, or because he slightly reminded me of my ex. But even when I see a guy that looks like him in any way, I am instantly attracted. Why is this? And will I always be attracted to the type of men who resemble the ex. By the way, the ex I am referring to was my first major relationship and first love.

So I guess you're feeling bad about yourself because you slept with a guy who resembles your ex while you're still in the healing phase from the breakup?

Also sleeping around after a breakup doesn't seem the best way to the healing process.

Do you want your ex back? It's been only two months.

It sounds more like you see your ex in everyone because you are still hung up on him. Casual sex is fine for fun, but as long as you're aware. Don't you feel worthy of dating?

I've been masking my pain by hooking up with guys - and I saw a guy that reminded me physically of my ex. We ended up hooking up that night

Meh.. sounds to me like you have a particular "type" you find attractive and there is nothing wrong or abnormal about that. It's just something that's more specific and pronounced with some people and less so with others. For you, it seems more so. So rather than thinking, "omg I'm attracted to someone who looks like my ex", consider that you were attracted to your ex simply because that's your type and it only follows that you would be attracted to other guys who match your type.

Archived