Relationship being held back by my issues.

DarkBlue82

So I met a woman in late Feb and we went out on our first date in mid March, dated for about 3 months and then decided to start a relationship. She is quite an outgoing and social person, she will be invited to a lot of events including family related ones. I have been invited to a formal extended family event (cousin) who I have barely interacted with. Am I wrong for feeling uncomfortable about attending a formal family event (christening) so soon after becoming bf/gf (mid june)?

I am not as outgoing as she is so I sometimes see these events as a negative rather than a positive.

Sounds like you are making this out to be something more than it is. You are her bf, so you would be expected to attend these kinds of events, whether you like them or not and truthfully......most people just grin and bear it outside of the immediate family that is....... It's one of those social norms you have to do. Nothing to do with being social or not social.

Anyway go and be present. Be yourself - quiet, polite with people, say the appropriate/expected goo goo gaga comments about the child, move on with the rest of your life. In short, this is just about basic civil manners and nothing else.

As for your gf being super social, perhaps she likes that you are more quiet, laid back and don't compete with her for attention and the spotlight. That's a good thing in your relationship, also known as balance.

Yes, this is about your relationship with her, not her cousin; it's also about acknowledging your relationship in public, in this case her family. It would be a lot more worrying if she were keeping you a secret in her life!

You've known her four months - it's not unreasonable to be attending an event like this with her.

Good luck!

Archived