A smelly situation at work...

I'm glad this situation has been resolved for you. The people who state why the drama are the people who I suspect allow their managers to walk all over them and are subservient to their management because they are scared of standing up for themselves. I'm delighted that you aren't one of these people and took a stand by going home early. Keep your eyes wide open with this manager, I would start documenting all of the interactions you have with him, if I was in your position. If there's any more unprofessional conduct from him then I think you should file a report but that's ultimately your decision.

I'm pleased to read that you and the secretary have patched things up, she created unnecessary drama when all she had to do was explain the situation to you in private and I am sure you would have been a compassion and considerate member of staff and washed the perfume off. The fact she went complaining to her manager says everything I need to know about the content of her character. Also I find it baffling that she wears perfume as do other members of the staff and yet it's only become an issue now. Strange that, but it is what it is, I'd let it slide and move on.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a big difference between getting pushed around by management at work and knowing when to pick your battles. I've raised many issues at work with my boss and others but I know when to pick my battles. I've had small grievances that I didn't bring up/report because it's simply not worth the hassle. It's a damn perfume. Frankly, everyone has better things to do with their time than to deal with the fallout from a scent. Just don't wear it. Easy. Save your voice for things that really need to be called out on.

There's a big difference between getting pushed around by management at work and knowing when to pick your battles. I've raised many issues at work with my boss and others but I know when to pick my battles. I've had small grievances that I didn't bring up/report because it's simply not worth the hassle. It's a damn perfume. Frankly, everyone has better things to do with their time than to deal with the fallout from a scent. Just don't wear it. Easy. Save your voice for things that really need to be called out on.

You miss the point, it's not the perfume that is the issue, it's the lack of respect and the snake like politics and tactics being utilised and the poor treatment of a innocent worker who's only mistake was wearing a little too much perfume.

You miss the point, it's not the perfume that is the issue, it's the lack of respect and the snake like politics and tactics being utilised and the poor treatment of a innocent worker who's only mistake was wearing a little too much perfume.

I agree. The manager is tactless and unprofessional. I would start looking for a new job based on that. However, I wouldn't continue to wear perfume nor would I go to report the manager. It's pointless. OP may need a decent reference or a new prospective job may call to get a reference.

So glad to hear things went well. At now you know that other people feel the same way about your manager that you do. Still, probably best to start looking for a new job and in your exit interview at this place you can make it clear one of the reasons you are quiting is because of your managers lack of people skills.

When you have a group of people in the same place over time, sometimes there are glitches. People don't always respond the way we wish they would, and it probably goes both ways. I'm glad things are smoother between you and the secretary, sorry to hear about the yogurt complaint (maybe a sign ON the fridge forewarning, in addition to emails…that may not register in the world of over information online), and really sorry to hear about the theft. One good thing about working under someone with poor people skills is it helps raise your awareness of what behavior not to perpetuate. Hang in there, good luck job hunting, and may your next job be the best yet.

You have to pick which hills you want to die on. Don't make them every hill. People then think you are loopy too.

I don't care what people think, I fight every battle, I will die on any hill. I won't ever let anyone disrespect me because they think they can hide behind a job title. Take a new manager at my job, he knows I don't like him because I stared him out on the first day he started in the work place, he now knows not to cross me and he will actively avoid going anywhere near me. Good, he keeps his distance and I keep mine. He knows from our first interaction what I'm about and there won't be any problems between us.

It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like someone needs talcum powder to ease their soreness.

Sounds like projecting to me. An hostile attitude to authority, especially at work is rather immature imo. Plus, keep management for taking you seriously for promotions and the like. That had been my experience at least.

Sounds like projecting to me. An hostile attitude to authority, especially at work is rather immature imo. Plus, keep management for taking you seriously for promotions and the like. That had been my experience at least.

You're right it is your opinion and your opinion matters not one jot to me, pal.

Seriously a friendly suggestion. You seem hostile and angry. You should probably speak to a therapist to get to the root of whatever is making you so angry.

Angry? Not angry, I am sit here calm and collected enjoying a nice glass of spring water on a hot summer's evening. What you sense and what I am are two entirely different things. Concentrate on your own life instead of casting stones.

Angry? Not angry, I am sit here calm and collected enjoying a nice glass of spring water on a hot summer's evening. What you sense and what I am are two entirely different things. Concentrate on your own life instead of casting stones.

Perhaps you should take your own advice before giving it.

Archived