What's the point in trying?

ButterflyWrists

Seriously? What's the point in trying to better myself, improve my career prospects or anything? I just started a masters module, and as if on cue, I got an ear infection. Bleeding ear, nearly totally deaf and in a huge amount of pain, started last week. So now I'm missing 2lectures out of the 5 we have.

Just want to give up, I'm never going to be well enough to study I struggle at work due to the pain and inability to hear no idea what possessed me to think I could do this module.

Any pretty cliffs I can call down?

1) have you been to the doctor? That doesn't just sound like an infection, that sounds like a ruptured eardrum.

2) If so, can you call the doctor and have them write you a note to allow you extra time to make up the work or some leniency?

I'm sorry about your pain and frustration. Crap happens. It's not a cosmic sign of the universe that you shouldn't do something. If it's something you want, there are ways to succeed; I got a brain infection my first semester of grad school and my professors worked with me to change my learning plan.

1) have you been to the doctor? That doesn't just sound like an infection, that sounds like a ruptured eardrum.

2) If so, can you call the doctor and have them write you a note to allow you extra time to make up the work or some leniency?

I'm sorry about your pain and frustration. Crap happens. It's not a cosmic sign of the universe that you shouldn't do something. If it's something you want, there are ways to succeed; I got a brain infection my first semester of grad school and my professors worked with me to change my learning plan.

I've been to the doc, well nurse, she couldn't look in my ear due to the amount of pain I'm in. She gave me anti biotics and said she'd get my doctor to chase up about my operation (as have to have yet another operation which probably won't work grrr). I need to ask about extenuating cirucumstances, this module isn't the same as actually doing a masters, it's a profesional development module and the lecturer doesn't know if it will be running again next near. There are only 10 students on the module when it's max is 30.

Remember how far you have come butters. It is totally worth it.

I'm trying Vic, it just sucks so bad that I'm ill again just as I think, oh it's only a 6 week course, I've not been REALLY ill in ages so I should be ok to do this, and then bam 2 weeks in and my ears are doing this.

Why don't you stop pushing yourself and take a semester off?

It's not a semester long module, we have 5 days in (2 of which I've already missed).

Have you tried to talk with the professor so you can have assistance or exception?

Please take care of your ears first. Master module can wait, but your ears' health can't!

I've spoken to him and I need to apply for extenuating circumstances if they can be applied to the type of module I'm doing. I've been trying to take care of my ears for the past 20 some odd years and they've never got any better, I doubt this next operation I have to have will help either in the long run.

Yes, take care of your health. It may be a sign that you need to take a break and focus on yourself. Hugs.

I'm trying

Archived