Scared I won't make friends...

Lotusavx

I have always been an introvert and I only am able to make friends with people who I genuinely connect with. Almost like I have a certain chemistry with them. I had no problem finding these people in highschool. Now I'm 21, just getting out of a live in relationship with my ex. My life was on hold for a bit as I didn't go to college right after high school. I didn't have many friends during my relationship either because I put everything I had into the relationship, and just didn't have the opportunity to connect with potential friends, mostly because where I worked they were all 20 years older. I will be starting college in the fall and I'm so afraid that I won't meet anyone or they will all be 18 and on a different level maturity wise. I want to have a solid group of friends so bad. It's just so hard to find people I can connect with. I feel like no one will have my interests, as I'm not a typical 21 year old in today's culture - I don't listen to new pop music, I don't put my whole life on Facebook or snapchat every 10 minutes... I'm just a really easy going person who wants genuine friendship. I have had problems with opening myself up to people before...but college is the perfect opportunity to change my life and I'm so afraid it will fail. And advice is strongly appreciated thanks.

Lotus.

You will be glad to hear that not everyone is tethered to the psychological "soother" that is FB or the like.

Do join some of the associations or societies in the college which would be in your area of interest.

You don't need a group of friends. Just be friendly, get to know people one-on-one, you already have something in common. You don't have to keep in step with the crowd to make friends, you just have to be approachable and friendly.

I'm so afraid that I won't meet anyone or they will all be 18 and on a different level maturity wise.

Archived