What would you do-in your life- if you were 24?

marolua

I know that seems to be a funny question, but I turned 24 a couple of days ago, and I just don't feel like 24, I know that it is a young age, but I just haven't understood how the past SIX years have passed, I still feel that I have recently started to attend university.

Whenever I have to make a decision about my life, I ask myself what would I think of this if I were 30, 40 or 60. Extending one's perspective is a good way for making decisions. So my question is for people who are above the age of 24, when you look to your past, is there anything that you would like to change?

In other words, what do you advice as an art of living for me at the age of 24? I really wonder how this age seems like when viewed from a perspective of a person who is above or around 30?

ps: I would especially appreciate advice about 'personal growth' and finding the "Right ONE"( if there's any

Marolua,

That is a great question. I often wonder the exact same thing. Since, I've got a couple years on you, I'll throw in my 2 cents:

1) Educate yourself. Get a degree, or whatever educational goal it is you have, and finish it.

2) Stay healthy. I've been active since I was a kid, and I see people I grew up with who don't take any pride in their health or appearance. This includes eating your veggies, and participating in vigorous exercise a few times a week.

3) See the world. Travel, get out there and meet every and any type of person. This will give you a global perspective on cultures and will enhance any conversation you have with anyone.

Those are my tips. Hope they help, and i look forward to you older folks' responses, no pun intended.

From looking at my past 25 yrs of living, I will say that as long as you live a life to the fullest by not being afraid to fail or take risks that you will not regret where you are now whether it be in terms of school, career, love.

In terms of love, relationships, don't be afraid to put yourself out there & to meet plenty of guys & don't worry if you haven't met the one right now. Just have fun meeting new people, learning about yourself so that you will have a better idea of who you will be compatible with. Looks can only take a person so far, but how a guy treats you is far more important that stands againts aging time. I don't believe in that opposites will necessarily will lead to a serious relationship unless there are similar values & standards. So far the most compatible guy for me has been that has been the most similar to me.

Hi , Get an education that is the most important thing . I am 34. I have had a lot of fun in my 34 years. I travelled ,I raced bikes for a living for a while. At the age of 33 I had no work skills, so I went back to school.

I am studying a trade because it is the fastest way to secure a job at my age , but it is not my passion. If I was 24 I would pursue my passions ,I really wanted to be a paramedic or work in the Health industry but it would have taken me a couple of extra years to upgrade my high school courses to get into the paramedic program or 4 years of Uni for the other courses I was interested in. i wish I had done these things when I was younger. I cant really afford to take the time needed to that now.

Educate yourself in whatever respect that means you to for some it may be a Bachelors, a Masters or some Doctorate. Be mindful of the future and live out anything that you want to experience, this could mean travel, extreme activies, learning a new hobby or skill.

The general idea is to keep an open mind and realize what you want to accomplish. Dont let yourself be held back, do what you want to do.

My advice:

1.) Choose a career and go for it. Job security is the most important thing you will ever have.

2.) Take care of your body. Its the only body you will ever have in this life time. The effects of smoking and drinking do catch up with you as you age!

3.) Make investments. IRA's, stocks/bonds, real estate, savings acct., etc...build that nest egg for the future.

4.) Take advice from people who have been there, done that...grow wise from other peoples mistakes.

5.) Never date anyone you wouldn't consider marrying. (I learned the hard way and live by this religiously).

6.) Makes decisions wisely, use your time wisely and hopefully you won't look back at your life in 20 years with any regrets.

If I could go back to my 24 year-old self, this is what I'd do sooner:

Learn to truly love and accept yourself and enjoy your own company.

Getting into a strong, healthy, lasting relationship becomes much easier if you learn how to have a good relationship with yourself first.

I didn't really get that until my mid-30's...when I finally did, the rest just fell into place.

24 was around the age I started to really be comfortable with who I was, or rather acknowledging that I was comfortable with who I was. Er... if that makes any sense.

Do I have any regrets? Maybe, but they're things in the past, they can't be changed they all contribute to who I am. Would I change anything? Well, as you can tell, no I wouldn't change anything. I made choices every moment of my life and this is where I am. For better or worse, well mostly better, this is who I am and where I am in life and I'm okay with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am 24, and I found everyone's reply intriguing. I love hearing different perspectives on things, especially from those older and wiser.

I feel as if I'm in a huge transition in my life right now as far as spiritually. For the first time I'm beginning to feel comfortable in my own skin and feel I'm beginning to scratch beneath the surface in discovering who I truly am. As far as relationships, I'm not looking for anything too serious at the moment because I do feel I am just in the beginning process of discovering myself. I have a lot of fun going out once in a while with my friends and meeting as many new faces as possible.

I really look forward to what the next 5 - 10 years will have in store for me. Life is definitely a journey, and I'm proud to have finally reached a point in my life where I can honestly say I am living without regrets, and learning to truly love myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I am 23 and I find this very insightful to read. Especially in a time where I am startign to be gratefuy of being single and having no commitments, when I had preplanned my life with my ex 4 year relationship,I had planned to be married and have kids in teh next few years now its completely changed.

My degree is finishing this summer and in a couple of years I want to change my field completely. I want to buy a house, get a car and travel LOADS! Its amazing how the tables turn on you but this is what I want right now and it may all change in the future but since I was 16/17 I have been in a relationship thst nearly 7 years OMG!! I am scared right now being on my own but as i sit here and right this I am excited at the same time...

In other words, what do you advice as an art of living for me at the age of 24? I really wonder how this age seems like when viewed from a perspective of a person who is above or around 30?

ps: I would especially appreciate advice about 'personal growth' and finding the "Right ONE"( if there's any

Very interesting question.

Personal growth. a) date, meet as many people as you can, be selective but not picky. b) go to school for another degree, it will never hurt in the future. But choose somehting you really enjoy: do some research what universities offer for you in your area.

1) Educate yourself.

2) This includes eating your veggies, and participating in vigorous exercise a few times a week.

3) See the world. Travel, get out there

and meet every and any type of person. This will give you a global perspective on cultures and will enhance any conversation you have with anyone.

1. I agree.

2. No you gotta be moderate no vigorous exercise: you better develop a good mindset: exercise if you wish but not often, you be better off if you keep it thorugh your life, not just vigoroous exercise when you are young.

Agree: develop a healthy outlook on a diet: what is good and what is not.

It is very simple: read 5-10 books about healthy nutrition.

3. Well, it might be not easy to travel when you are young. I would not advice you to concetnrate on travelling.

But the the seocnd part if good: meet people! meet all people you can!

1.) Choose a career and go for it. Job security

2.) Take care of your body. Its the only body you will ever have in this life time. The effects of smoking and drinking do catch up with you as you age!

3.) Make investments. IRA's, stocks/bonds, real estate, savings acct., etc...build that nest egg for the future.

5.) Never date anyone you wouldn't consider marrying. (I learned the hard way and live by this religiously).

1. No. Do not go for career. Go and get a degree first! Job security is a fickle thing, do not worry about it now. Get all education you can get and after that you will automatically find job security.

2. Definitely yes.

3. Investments at 24? It sounds good, but I kinda doubt she should focus on that at 24.

5. Date all of them, one date will not hurt! You gotta learn who you like and why.

Learn to truly love and accept yourself and enjoy your own company.

It would be informative if you could elaborate on how to trully love and accept yourself. It sounds good, what could be practialy steps to accomplish that?

SummerBreez wrote:

1.) Choose a career and go for it. Job security

1. No. Do not go for career. Go and get a degree first! Job security is a fickle thing, do not worry about it now. Get all education you can get and after that you will automatically find job security.

2. Definitely yes.

3. Investments at 24? It sounds good, but I kinda doubt she should focus on that at 24.

5. Date all of them, one date will not hurt! You gotta learn who you like and why

al7: Its not your job to critique other people's opinions on this topic whether you agree with them or not. Its not very polite. You didn't post this topic in the first place.

1. al7: Its not your job to critique other people's opinions on this topic whether you agree with them or not.

Its not very polite.

2. You didn't post this topic in the first place.

1. Absolutely right. I agree. I volunteer my opinion here

By the way, it is not your job to tell me what style I should you when talking to people: believe me, it is better to have something which is not very polite but informative, that makes you think! Makes you analyse what is good for you and what is not.

We play politeness in real life, and as a result quite a lot of people go to this forum to get some REAL advice. They basically run away from politeness.

2. No I did not. If I see that somehting that does not make sense, I cannot comment on it and warn people to at least think about it?

Well Al - the specific question is "What would you do if you were 24?" So, obviously, everyone has a different idea of what they would do. It's what makes us as humans interesting. Of course, there is no right or wrong answer. We all make different paths and go on different journeys. You can't really critique a goal/desire unless you know that person and all of their life's circumstances.

Annie,

Yeah it makes sense. Just if somebody says "if I was 24 I would by 10 gallons of ice cream every week." You know, It is obvious that some circumstances made thsi person say that. But would you refrain from commenting on that unusual advice?

Well - like you commented to someone to get the degree first, job later. But, that doesn't work for everyone. For some people they have to work for many years until they figure out what it is the REALLY want to do with their life.

Besides, no one on here's suggested anything as ridiculous at 10 gallons of ice cream a week.