Is it a bad idea to date your coworker ?

Bad idea. I've seen it at work. Co-workers get together, one gets jealous everytime they see their bf/gf talking to someone else or they end up spending too much time together, and they break up. Then, they have to see each other at work all the time. And who really wants to see their ex 5 days a week?

I'd say it depends on the situation. If you work in a huge department store where you only see each other once a week when your schedules over lap then I dont see a problem with it....after all its not a career. However if your talking about a full time job in a company where both of you are making a living at doing then yes you might want to steer clear.

Don't date a co-worker if at all possible! Unprofessional.

But, we're human, we sometimes don't listen to our heads when there's a new co-worker with dark hair, and gorgeous blue eyes...

If you must, keep things 150% professional during working hours. Don't act like a couple at work. Don't hold hands. No goo-goo eyes. Don't say, "Hey babe, where do you want to go to dinner after work?" within anyone's earshot. And don't tell anyone that you're dating. If possible, if one of you can transfer to a different part of the company, then do so. For example, if you both work for the same bank, perhaps one of you can start working at one of the bank's other locations.

But, to reiterate, don't date a co-worker.

I have in the past dated 2 co-workers. Different places. Both times it just kind of "happened". One guy was a complete a-hole after we broke up and it sucked to work w/him after that. But the other guy was really nice and fine to work with even after we decided to just be friends.

Generally, it is not a good idea, but as a previous poster said, sometimes it is difficult to resist.

I don't have the experience, but at one place I've worked before, there was a couple who dated for a few months (I don't know what happened later on after i quit the job). I think they were going on strong but they're from completely different departments and normally wouldn't see each other that often.

I agree with what a couple of you have said. If it's a full time job, where you'll see each other pretty much every day, then it's probably not a good idea. But if it's the kind of job where you will barely see each other, or you just see each other for a few moments a day, then I don't see the problem. Just try not to make a public spectacle of yourselves at the workplace.

But again, if you can't help yourself go in and see for yourself. You never know, you could be the happy case to all the bad ones. It has happened!

Betty!

Oh, one other point no one's brought up...

Some companies have specific written policies either strongly discouraging or outright banning co-worker dating. Before you decide to throw caution to the wind, you'd be best served to see if your employer has such a policy in place and what, exactly, it says.

Unless, of course, you really wanted another job anyway.

• 5 years later...

I have always been told, "You don't sh*t where you eat" and I agree. As other posters have said, soem companies have policies about dating in the workplace, others don't but it is generally frowned upon because what happens when the relationship goes sour? You are stuck working with someone you'd rather not see on a daily basis, if ever.

Nope, not a good idea. Never have heard of this ending well.

Never mix business with your personal life! I think it's ok to make friends at work, but when it comes to a tricky thing like dating, not a very good idea.Trust me I tried this before years ago and it was very messy.

Anyway back when I was a teenager, I started dating one of my co-workers who worked in the same department as me. To make a long story short, I found out he was cheating on me. To make it so bad, I had to see him and work with him everyday which just prolonged the healing process for me and I DREADED going to work each day because we always argued and got into altercations. Let's just say that we kept arguing & fighting to the point that we both lost our jobs..

So that's why I say it's never good to date a co-worker.

It's generally not a good idea. I'm in a similar situation as I think some girl is interested in me at the place I work, but she works for the store I'm stationed at, where as I'm a security guard for a company that happened to put me at the same store. I don't interact much, if at all with the store employees.

Haven't read the other replies but from personal experience and seeing it at my workplace:

1. If it doesn't work out, it'll be tough to treat that person the way you're supposed to at work: As a coworker.

2. If you're dating that person and another co-worker starts hitting on him/her, you'll have to try extra hard not to get into a personal conflict with that co-worker. Last week I had to talk some sense into a guy I work with because the co-worker he's dating is getting hit on by another guy we work with. Guy A wants to kill Guy B now.

not a problem at all if you are two sensible, easy going, respectful people, and drama-free people. if not, then dont even try.

i dated a coworker for a couple years and it was never a problem, even after the breakup. i mean, there were about two months that it sucked having to see him/hear about him, but other than that... perfect.