Interest in gaming ... Fading away gradually

Ng Zhi Xiang

Hello all!

I'm in a dilemma.

Short background information a 15 Y/O male, overweight and lives in Singapore.

All these years in my adolescence I've been primarily gaming all these while. What bothers me is that I've not been able to enjoy even the slightest feel I've had since I was 10 or so ( started gaming on consoles/pc on 6) .

Back then, it was all fun , devoting almost as if my whole free time into gaming! This is the reason why I am overweight.

Recently , I've switched over from the console to PC. Found wonderful games I've enjoyed. But... I had this addiction wish I thank god I got rid off.

It was "CS or known as counter strike: global offensive , a game . A game corrupted my mind and throwing money into the game as if it was never ending! The game I spent on was almost s$800 ! In just simple 5 months! The Gaming PC I also had bought was 2K SGD in probably around may. These money are from my allowances , which I save up to get these items as well as the necessities for the Gaming PC. The allowance was $50 a week that was meant for schooling purposes( food, writing materials , etc.)

All the while , I was selfish , never thought that my parents worked so hard to give me a proper life but instead, dumped the money on the entertainment which now I find futile.

All this time, I was spending tons of money into video game , especially free to play games as well as CS . Where they had this prepaid card ,etc .

Feels like it's time to get rid of this once and for all.

Since there I'm really tired of gaming , couldn't look at the past of me . Till the point where even just 1 minute of any game I own , I was bored to tears.

The real question now . Time I had was 90% in gaming . Now I started going to the gym , trying to lose weight . Sports, wasn't really sociable , don't really know where to start one . Going to the gym only takes 20% of my time . Where else can I spend my time on? What can I do in the evening nights?

PS: I don't really like watching movies or TV . Only interested in wildlife documentaries but have not touched the TV in 5 years due to this gaming burden.

Thanks a lot for taking your time into reading this !

Much appreciated !

Start reading, join any clubs you can... sports club, something that interests you BESIDES gaming. You can meet friends and go from there.

Don't feel bad, a lot of people have been addicted to games. They're not bad if you sit down and play for some time with friends, and move on. They become bad when that's the only thing you're doing.

Hi, I feel you dude since I'm also addicted to games since 4th grade until I graduated college. Seems like you're doing good.

Back then for me my life seems to revolves on video games (other interests are rock music and anime), most of the time I skipped school just to play PC games. I got bad grades in high school (and sometimes failed) and my college is screwed because of it. I used to study electronics engineering but gave it up after 2 yrs and doesn't care much because all I want to do is play video games. I also don't have much friends, only have a small circle of friends which also have the same interests.

Things changed after I'm about to finish the 3rd college course that I tried (electrician course), I had my OJT at a manufacturing company and been exposed to industrial controls and robotics, now after 3 years I'm working as an electrical protection and control technician. Now I'm more focused in my career as well as planning to take electrical engineering to upgrade my career.

I guess it's true that change is the only thing that is permanent in this world. I myself never thought that my interest in gaming will subside. It's not that I don't like gaming anymore, it's just that gaming is not my top priority now. Sometimes specially when I'm feeling burned out at work or stressed, I'm wondering why am I so worried or thinking too much about my career and my future plans when back in the days I can say that I'm living a care free life and playing my favorite games makes my life complete.

I think my new interests in electrical engineering/technology overwhelmed my interest in video games, maybe because of the challenges that I'm facing. Also I work as a field service technicians which means part of my job is travelling which also became my interest. Maybe before when gaming is my top interest, all I know is that is my life but now I have come to realize that there's still more to this life. I don't know maybe in the near future, finding a partner and starting a family will be my main interest (just like my former gaming buddy) instead of further enhancing my career and travelling. Who knows?...

Archived