Sex Education Controversy

I'm curious about people's opinions on this subject. I have seen a lot of young people on this board asking questions about sex that most of us older individuals think are no-brainers. I know that in most schools in the US, the only contraception taught is abstinence. I think that's good in a way because it encourages kids to avoid having sex too young. BUT, that only works for kids who are willing to make that choice. This means that a good number of teens end up having sex without much information about STDs, pregnancy, and contraception. While health classes touch on these subjects, other forms of contraception are not thoroughly explained or encouraged.

Do you think that schools should provide in depth information about other forms of birth control? Why or why not?

my HS did. we got alllllllllllll up in the penis & vagina. lol probably a little tooooo into it.lol

given there werent any 'demonstrations' or what not ha but we got very descriptive in class. & discussed prevention methods. all kinds.

i think its more important to know about preventing STDs & pregnancy then knowing what the vas defrense's purpose is....

-DG724

I think kids need to be educated on the good and bad sides of sex as they're going to encounter both, although i dont think most teenagers would need educating on the good side

Thinking back we didn't get an actual 'sex ed' class or anything, what we did get was stuff on anatomy and physiology- quite cold and clinical- ie: structure and function of various parts. We were told about HIV, STDS, pregnancy, contraception, abortions etc - to us it was like any other boring class and the info went in one ear and out the other

After high school i went on to do 2 science degrees focusing on human physiology, diseases, laboratory testing etc.. and I still remember the lectures we had on STDs and HIV- VERY graphic pictures, (for example, a slide was an acute case of male genital warts, and as a guy all i'll say is it wasn't pretty ). I'm not trying to gross everyone out but it was a powerful way that to me really drummed home the fact that theres a bad side to sex aswell as a good side, you make a bad choice and you have to live or die with the consequences..

So basically i'm saying that my education was too soft and didn't really hit the mark. I think that information on all aspects of sex and sexuality should be provided to kids at the right age, because if you dont all they have to go on is what they learn from the images propagated by the media and music industry- which as we all know is seldom like real life.. (or is that just me )..

Just my thoughts...

I was in matric in 1990 and let me just say our sex-ed was NON existant

I was in Std 8 (grade 9) and I still thought you had sex through your navel...

Anyway, my mom eventually bought me the book "What girls/boys should know".

I had it for about a week, then it got stolen from my bed at boarding school. I guess other girls also needed to know, and did not have books to read about it. So the total of my early sex education was dependent on what my girlfriends thought they knew about it..... It wasn't pretty....

Well, I learned about birth control/STD control (not just abstinence) and the biological aspects/clinical aspects of reproduction, but the program still leaves a lot to be desired. I am against teaching ONLY abstinence (though see nothing wrong with incorporating it as part of program information. Why? Because even if you promote ONLY abstinence and ignore other aspects of control/safety teens are still going to have sex and are not going to be prepared for SAFER sex.

There have been many studies showing that many of those who were taught only abstinence still had sex, and the rates of STD's and pregnancy were higher among that population than others. I definitely do not think we should be advocating promiscuity, but safer sex, loving sex, the option of abstience (or at least waiting until you are emotionally mature, not just physically). I think that things like masturbation should not be "taboo" subjects as they are in many school systems.

I don't believe teaching kids about birth/STD control "urges" them to have sex, not when it is done correctly. You should show them pictures of STD infections (like herpes, genital warts) and explain how some infections you don't even know you have until you are infertile, that'll make them think twice (in the military they show these up here...ugh!). Graphic yes, but boy did they ever make me be careful! Bring in a young mother/father who can talk about how hard it is being a young mother, or how hard it was to adopt their child out. Teach kids that yes they are physically able to have sex, but that emotionally it is a huge responsibility. And for parents, I know they often think they can't tell their children about their past as they want kids to do what they say and not call them hypocrites...but tell them how you felt about sex, whether you waited or not and if you would of done things differently. Have open communication about sex with your children, geared towards their age of course.

I think having well informed kids, who know about abstinence but also how to be safe if they choose to have sexual encounters when they are ready. Be prepared. Kids are bombarded with sexual imagery dozens and dozens of times a day, pretending they can ignore it, or that they can just say "okay I'll be abstinent" and not be knowledgeable enough to truly make a choice can lead to bigger troubles.

We were taught about STDs and birth control in my hs. I think it's the PARENTS job, not just the school's to terah about sex. I learned more from my mom than my school coudl ever teach me. At first, I want to giggle at some of these no-brainer questions, but then I relaize that these young teens are never taught these things. I realize a lot of parents are prudes when it comes to talking to their kids about sex, so it has to be done somewhere. I know that teens will have sex no matter what anyone says, so they need to e informed. I plan on teaching my chidlren about sex, but by also letting them know that they shouldn't be having sex as a teen anyway. All it leads to is heartbreak anyway.

i actually teach "family life" to 9th grade girls. i teach everything from anatomy to abstinence to STDs to pregnancy & childbirth to forms of birth control and % of failure and we get into how to tell if they are in an abusive relationship and how to have the strength to say NO. They have some great questions and i am very open in the answers. Should it be taught at home? Of course!! Is it realistic to teach abstinence only, I don't think so considering all the information that it out there. The best thing for me is to remember when I was that age and all the emotions & feelings and questions I had. Ultimately, the choice to have sex is theirs, I simply want them to go into it having all the facts.