The Flesh Trade: Knowledge and Opinions

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disturbing...

Really makes you wonder how people can live with themselves for doing something so disgusting and immoral. To take someone who is 13 and use them in such a manner, and to threaten and abuse them like that is too dispicable to put into words. I agree, more should be done about this and its a shame that things like this aren't brought to the publics attention. If you find a way to do something about this, let me know. I want to help people are suffering like that too.

its like the poor young girls in asia that are tossed around & turned into prostitutes at the age of like 10 or 12. this is something that unfortunately will probably always be around. or in africa where woman are forced to undergo female circumcision (have their vaginas painfully sewn up) against their will only to be ripped apart by men who force themselves onto them. these are issues that unfortuanly will never go away.

we cant play police to control & punish people in other countries. though im sure we all wish we could. this is where the United Nations have to step in.

-DG724

some governments are doing a little to stop it. In Canada (and I believe in Britain) it is an offence to visit a foreign country for the purpose of engaging in sex with a minor.

It is a criminal offense in Canada. Under s. 4.1 of the Criminal Code a person who has sex with a minor in another country can be charged with sexual assault when they return to Canada. It is also an offense to organize sex tours. Section 212 (a) makes it an offense for someone to encourage another person to seek prostitution overseas, and section 212 (g) makes it an offense to to help someone enter or leave Canada for the purpose of that person committing prostitution.

Also, I think this topic is in the WRONG section. It should be in the "abuse" section, not the "sex and romance" section. There is nothing romantic about prostitution.

if you want to do something about it badly..start some sort of an organization that will make this kind of stuff more well known...

Well for starters, wouldn't this post itself be an attempt to make people more aware? Secondly, there are several groups organized to combat this issue, but there is little anyone can do without government co-operation.

the United Nations is the 'organization' that has to deal with these kind of issues.

and i agree this should be in the abuse forum. i dont like to associate preteen prostitutes w/ sex & romance. *ugh*

-DG724

Well, UN personnel are some of the offenders. In Africa, they have in recent years engaged in rape, pedophilia and prostitution. Saying they need to deal with it is like asking the burglar to secure the jewelry.

See: link removed

Agree, this is no sex and romance issue.

I think that our country has some policies that seem to ok prostitution and drug use on the one hand and seem to come down on drug use and prostitution on the other hand.

We see nothing wrong with desensitization of young people to office politics and freedom of speech at a young age, but when something goes too far, and people are actually hurt physically or emotionally by some random act of an aggressive individual, then we take notice.

Empathy training in every walk of society, but for the grace of god, go I...was the way that my mom taught me lessons of empathy...

Prostitution hurts people and lives. Women and girls get trapped into a pact or agenda that they cant get out of without severly self distructing emotionally and breaking ties that are a part of their very persona.

Have you ever seen the Movie Taxi Driver with Jody Foster as a teenage prostitute? We know what happens to run away children. Why?

If someone is paying then someone is selling...just like smoking and drinking, we need to be aware of our children and ask yourself who is their biggest role model, if it isn't you or your husband, then it is probably going to hurt the child in the long run.

The UN has no power to stop anything...why do you think that our country has had to go into military conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq, the UN knows of the atrocities in those places, but they don't have a policing power, only the power of suggestion.

Our country holds more clout in the world than the UN, since we have the economic and military strength...unfortunately we have a reputation for not playing fair with other countries--well-deverved reputation, I might add.

In a way it is something that cannot be stopped completely. There will always be military, there will always be poverty, there will always be people who are either taught or educated to sell their bodies in some form or another.

Legalize prostitution? I really don't think that will serve a purpose, other than the old slipperly slope...

The UN has no power to stop anything...

this is what i was talking about!

"There's another humanitarian crisis spreading, yet hidden from view. Each year, an estimated 800,000 to 900,000 human beings are bought, sold or forced accross the world's borders. Among them are hundreds of thousands of teenage girls, and others as young as five, who fall victim to the sex trade. This commerce in human life generates billions of dollars each year -- much of which is used to finance organized crime.

There's a special evil in the abuse and exploitation of the most innocent and vulnerable. The victims of sex trade see little of life before they see the very worst of life -- an underground of brutality and lonely fear. Those who create these victims and profit from their suffering must be severely punished. Those who patronize this industry debase themselves and deepen the misery of others. And governments that tolerate this trade are tolerating a form of slavery.

This problem has appeared in my own country, and we are working to stop it. The PROTECT Act, which I signed into law this year, makes it a crime for any person to enter the United States, or for any citizen to travel abroad, for the purpose of sex tourism involving children. The Department of Justice is actively investigating sex tour operators and patrons, who can face up to 30 years in prison. Under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act, the United States is using sanctions against governments to discourage human trafficking.

The victims of this industry also need help from members of the United Nations. And this begins with clear standards and the certainty of punishment under laws of every country. Today, some nations make it a crime to sexually abuse children abroad. Such conduct should be a crime in all nations. Governments should inform travelers of the harm this industry does, and the severe punishments that will fall on its patrons. The American government is committing $50 million to support the good work of organizations that are rescuing women and children from exploitation, and giving them shelter and medical treatment and the hope of a new life. I urge other governments to do their part.

We must show new energy in fighting back an old evil. Nearly two centuries after the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade, and more than a century after slavery was officially ended in its last strongholds, the trade in human beings for any purpose must not be allowed to thrive in our time."

-President George W. Bush September 2003

whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/09/20030923-4.html

(last 7 paragraphs from the bottom)

-DG724

i personaly despised the united nations we contribute about a quarter of all the financial rescources yet all they do is work against us rather then with us.

plus they have abosolutely no credibility. just take the iraq situation for example. whether your for or against the war...how many times did the UN say "do this or..." and then did nothing...they're all talk.

if a girl is brought here and is being used as a prostitute, what happens to her if it is found out, if her "owner" is caught?

Our country holds more clout in the world than the UN, since we have the economic and military strength...unfortunately we have a reputation for not playing fair with other countries--well-deverved reputation, I might add.

Certainly cannot and will not agree with that statement.

Are we perfect? No. But in comparision to other nations, I think we are more than fair.

LOL, I somehow knew that this would turn into some kind of political argument. I opened the can of worms though, so don't really have anyone to blame but myself.

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this issue. I was just curious to know how much people actually knew about this, and to perhaps gain more knowledge myself. I'll admit, I was pretty clueless up until a couple of years ago, so I'm still learning, and won't make any claims as to which country has done more/ less. Let's be honest here, none of us really know what goes on at the upper-levels of government.

The truth is that every country that is directly, or even indirectly involved in this issue is at fault. Even the countries that are trying to help, and make things better seem to have corrupt practices (which includes the United States and Canada from my research, but more from the ground-level as opposed to government).

Again, thanks to everyone who has taken their time to reply! Let's try to be nice to each other eh?