Jealous of husband while pregnant?

Madamdiva007

This may seem like a strange question, but has anyone else felt jealous of their SO while pregnant?

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I guess I feel a little bit of jealousy or resentment towards my husband because he's able to continue doing things that I, of course, am not. We really enjoyed going out and having a few drinks together before I got pregant, it was actually something we did all the time. He still goes out, and sometimes I go with him, but it's just not the same so I usually pass on tagging along. He also got a free ticket to a concert I really wanted to go to on Tuesday night. I feel so angry and upset that I can't go, but it's not his fault and I can't hold it against him that he gets to go and I can't.

I feel a lot of anger, sadness, depression, so I don't know how much of this is just my pregnancy hormones making me a total psycho, but maybe there are some other women out there who have experienced the same thing?

When I finally got pregnant I was so overjoyed (understatement!!) that the sacrifices meant nothing to me. I remember telling my husband to go out on NYE when I was in my 8th month and he did (he was home by midnight I think to ring in the new year). I was happy he could go out and I had no interest whatsoever in going out in the cold with my big belly. During my pregnancy I was more emotional, very anxious about the health of the baby and far more tired of course. I think hormones play a big role in enhanced emotions of all kinds.

Your husband doesn't get to experience growing a life inside of him.

How badly did you want this pregnancy?

Why can't you go to the concert?

Well I've never been pregnant, but it makes sense to me for you to feel a bit left out. Why don't you and your husband plan fun things together that you both can do. I think it's the dead of winter where you are, but you can go out for afternoon tea, go on walks and have hot chocolate, go to museums together, that sort of thing. I'm not saying your husband should have to give up drinking or going out entirely, but I think he could make an effort to modify his social activities a bit so that you can come with and have fun too (especially if this means you're now spending a lot less time together).

It was actually not a planned pregnancy but not a surprise either. We both are very excited as it's our first together and we feel like it's time to take that next step together.

I've always had a pretty bad problem with depression and have felt incredibly depressed for the last several months, so I have a strong suspicion that maybe this is all just related to the hormones. I hope it is. I've been giving my husband a hard time about EVERYTHING, it just feels like nothing makes me happy right now. But I am very happily married, have a great job, and very excited about the baby. Does that make sense, haha?

Sophie, he got a free ticket through his work. So I can't go unless I buy one for myself

You are right, and I've been pushing him a lot to try and do other things with me. Right now we work pretty much completely opposite schedules. And he hasn't been off work in several weeks so we haven't had a full day off together for a while now. I think that's also been bringing me down. I really miss him and miss spending quality time with him doing fun things. His work schedule has been such an issue and has made me so upset that he hasn't really enjoyed coming home to me because I've been so depressed about it. I don't blame him.

Why can't you go to the concert?

Well I've never been pregnant, but it makes sense to me for you to feel a bit left out. Why don't you and your husband plan fun things together that you both can do. I think it's the dead of winter where you are, but you can go out for afternoon tea, go on walks and have hot chocolate, go to museums together, that sort of thing. I'm not saying your husband should have to give up drinking or going out entirely, but I think he could make an effort to modify his social activities a bit so that you can come with and have fun too (especially if this means you're now spending a lot less time together).

I couldn't agree more with your response.

Plan activities you both can go out and do. I think it's only fair for him to be with you most of the time, at least while you're pregnant. Or when he's out, maybe have a girls night with some of your friends, or at least hang out with them just so you have something to do.

& I'm sorry that you two have complete opposite work schedules. Must be hard to try to see eachother. I wish the best for you two and your little one.

Archived