Am I going to have to work until I die?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes you are understanding correctly and unfortunately no the job does not pay well. But I need a job so I stay...well until I can find something new.

I work Monday-Friday and I work oncall. My job gave me a cell and I need to answer it when nurses call out and need to be restaffed. I can't do that if I'm at another job. No job will let me take time to staff a nurse while I'm on their clock.

I see. So that means you are also on call during the evenings M-F? I just think it's amazing that a company can own you 24/7. How do you do anything else, like go to a movie or dinner or the doctor?

Perhaps you should look into some kind of alternative way of making extra money, then. Dog-walking, pet-sitting, freelance computer anything, stuff that is flexible and you can talk on the phone or just get up and leave if you have to.

I have a one bedroom apartment and I really do not feel safe or comfortable moving in with a strange person. Its one thing I just do not feel comfortable with.

You may have to get over this if you don't want to work until you die. You could also get a studio instead of a one-bedroom apartment.

I see. So that means you are also on call during the evenings M-F? I just think it's amazing that a company can own you 24/7. How do you do anything else, like go to a movie or dinner or the doctor?

Perhaps you should look into some kind of alternative way of making extra money, then. Dog-walking, pet-sitting, freelance computer anything, stuff that is flexible and you can talk on the phone or just get up and leave if you have to.

I can't do movies also I schedule Dr. Appointments and then go and have a co worker cover until I get back.

actually I CAN do movies but if the phone rings I gotta walk out and take care of the call. Dr. appointments I just have to get back to them. If its an emergency my boss can take my on call but I can't just drop all my on call I need the money. If I didn't have oncall my check would be less than unemployment pays

You may have to get over this if you don't want to work until you die. You could also get a studio instead of a one-bedroom apartment.

I can but I live in California its still expensive. I might actually do this when my lease expires next year though get a studio somewhere, its so strange because the studios are just as expensive! I guess I would rather work until I die than to live with some strange person. I'm not moving in with a stranger here. Its dangerous.

I can but I live in California its still expensive. I might actually do this when my lease expires next year though get a studio somewhere' date=' its so strange because the studios are just as expensive! I guess I would rather work until I die than to live with some strange person. I'm not moving in with a stranger here. Its dangerous.[/quote']

It doesn't have to be dangerous. You are certainly able to research someone pretty well these days.

What about alternative jobs where you can talk on the phone, as suggested?

Have you thought of living with roomates? That's what I did when I was making low pay. Are there things in your life that you can cut out? So like I cooked everything from scratch, clipped coupons, bought second hand clothes, didn't have cable or a fancy phone, had friends over for potluck dinners instead of going out etc. I still do these things even though I am financially ok now (knock on wood). Have you been looking for work in other states where the cost of living is less expensive?

I also found this website helpful (it's Canadian so keep that in mind when it comes to some of the financial stuff) link removed

It just has tips and life hacks to lower your expenses and save more money. There is also resume help and budgeting spreadsheets etc.

It's rough out there these days on the job front, I know many people who are so educated, smart and dedicated who are totally underemployed and in some cases with multiple jobs and still having a hard time making ends meet. Good luck, and I really hope it gets better or you

Okay I see your post! I have a medical condition where I cannot be around dogs or cats so thats out. I can certainly work from home but I have never heard of a job where you can just walk out and do another job at the same time. Do you have any job names or descriptions.

I don't know specifically what you're qualified for. I think you should just look at craigslist. Just off the top of my head I'd say housesitting, any kind of delivery job, a front-desk/security type of position, cleaning jobs (where you're on your own), etc.

thank you. I just keep kicking myself for not going to college. I keep thinking that if I did I probably wouldn't be in this situation. I made lots of posts about it. All of this is affecting me physically and mentally, I have bad anxiety, I grind my teeth have breathing issues. I know stress is wearing me out.

a lot of my anger stems from how hard I work and how low my wages are. I'm really trying to cope with this. It feels sorta like abuse.

The job you have now is low paying AND has you tied down 24/7? Is that correct? AND it means you work hard and are angry? Seriously consider doing something else, almost ANYthing that offers you something better/ Any one of these things would be an improvement: Better pay, provides your room and board (so reduces your expense), a regular (and reasonable) schedule, predictable time off so you can take another job. When things aren't working I think you've got to think creatively, consider all sorts of options, and be willing to make a drastic (and perhaps temporary) change in order to boost you to a new level.

If your current job ties you down 24/7, figure what that income *really* translates to per hour by taking your weekly income and dividing by the 168 hours that you are committed to it each week. You might consider nannying (room and board and stipend, plus time off), house cleaning, eldercare, a side business...

Also, try tracking your job calls, and see if there is a pattern to when the calls come in or when the scheduling takes place. If certain blocks are always free, maybe you can schedule another income producing activity during those times.

thank you. I just keep kicking myself for not going to college. I keep thinking that if I did I probably wouldn't be in this situation.

It's not too late to go to college or a vocational school. Many people put it off and go when they're more motivated or have a specific reason to go.

Why do you feel a roommate would be dangerous? You'd be just as much a stranger to them as they are to you, but you meet, get a feel for them, before you accept. Look for friends of friends, or family members of friends...

When you get a call for staffing nurses, how long does the task take? Is it hours at a stretch where you are scheduling, or part of an hour here and there? If it is the latter maybe you could run your own side business gardening, house cleaning, or running errands, and you pause from it to do your scheduling, then get back to it. Look into ways you can be your own boss.

Seems to me like you are going to have to make changes if you want to get out of your rut.

There is an old saying that is very true, "in order to get something valuable you have to give up something valuable". So maybe for you, in order to get your finances in order and live a happier life, you actually need to move to a different state where costs of living are lower and employment is more ample, which means moving away from your family. Or suck it up and live with a roommate, so you give up some privacy but actually gain financially. In other words, it's time for you to take serious stock and sacrifice something to get ahead. Nobody has it all.

As far as side jobs go - home cleaning is one. Get a few good customers and that will help a lot and won't get in the way of being on call if all you have to do is stop to answer the phone. Another possibility, since you have some experience in construction industry if I remember right, maybe get certified as a home inspector and build a business around that if the housing market in CA is good. I know it's crazy hot where I live. Even if you have to start slow, it's something to think about. At some point you really have to sit down and figure out what you CAN do instead of focusing on what you can't all the time and then wrecking your health with resentment and anger. Nobody owes you a living and most all employers pay market value for the job. Meaning that just because you think that you are underpaid, for the job you are doing, you are not. There are probably at least a 1000 applicants who would absolutely jump on your job and drive to work singing with joy. It seems to me that you got lucky with a well paid job despite a lack of qualifications and now you are stuck on that past. The problem is that the job is gone and nobody else is willing to hire you for more. So harsh as this sounds, you are facing your market value. If you don't like it, seek out additional skills so your value increases. You don't have to go to college to make good money. A client of mine has a GED and a booming cleaning business to the point where she needs and has the means to hire professionals to help her manage it. She started it out of desperation, literally with a mop and a bucket and a willingness to prove herself. Now she has over 50 employees, but to this day, if there is a crisis, if someone is out or sick, she'll run and clean and do anything it takes to make sure her customers are always getting what they paid for, no excuses as she likes to say. That's pretty much her mantra - no excuses, just do it.

Only you can help yourself and change your attitude.

I have been on my own on and off almost 6 years now (mid 30's). I don't earn a big amount, just award wage, but I am good with my money. I save a little each week, sometimes more than other weeks, but it all adds up. I have 2 mortgages yes 2 (one half of an investment property) so only a small amount of one mortgage is covered by rental income. But I still manage to get by. There is so much more to life than money. Friends and family are what is most important at the end of the day.

Slow down and get drop the anger/stress. Accept your situation and throw out some gratitude for what you do currently have. You're 33 and probably not even half way through your life yet. If you want to change something then change it. it's only you who can do it for you. This is not a test...this is it, your one chance at life. Look for a new job on fixed hours, ask your company if they have any fixed hours or go out and look for a new job. It's difficult at times, we all know that but you got a job once, pretty sure you can do it again

Archived