Facebook relationship status

Reminiscence

One of my coworkers (who I have a crush on) recently changed his relationship status. It used to say he had been in a relationship for so and so for x amount of time. But now all I see is an "Ask" button. So this either means he is hiding it so only he can see the status or he is no longer in a relationship?

I'm not sure if I should try approaching him. His status previously said he had a girlfriend for about a year. But it wouldn't make sense for him to hide his status all of sudden if he had been so proudly showing it to the world for the past year. I haven't seen him take down photos of them together but then again I think guys don't really do that.

On a side note, does the "ask" button appear if say his girlfriend changed her status to single? I know that in order for you to say you are in a relationship with so and so you have to send a "relationship request" to so and so. By logical extension, if one person changes it then the other person's status should change too, right?

"Ask" is because he no longer has it listed publicly.

It could also mean that you haven't labeled yourself. Before Facebook added this button I had left my relationship status blank/declined to state but now mine it has the ask button because my relationship status is "--". Unless "--" means you don't want to list it publicly?

Hence my thinking of the whole what if the girlfriend changed her status and he just hasn't "relabeled" himself. Unless I'm wrong about how the relationship linking works.

And yes I won't rush up to him right away.

Archived