Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

Thinking of you and your son and wishing you luck.

A lot of people get refused the first time around for the provincial pension. This unfortunately was just the intake. You used to see a caseworker right away but now they're so busy you see them second. The intake worker could tell though that he needs a spokesperson. She had him write out his own consent form allowing me to speak for him. She could see that he needed help because I had to spell out most of the words for him including my name because he can't remember how to spell it. I'm really hoping he gets the provincial pension though.

• 2 weeks later...

Victoria, have you heard of that "Cheryl birthday" problem?

My brother is a math genius. He is in college for math. I can't do math unless it's strictly practical and in formulas.

Anyway, for me, it is not a math problem. It's a logic one and in order to solve it, you have to place yourself in each person's shoes, ie change your perspective. I solved it in 10 min and got the right answer.

My brother racked his brain for a while and had no idea. It's because he has Aspergers. He said, he can't put himself in the other's perspective to solve it.

He's good at them and he even took a class in Logic. But changing perspectives? No can do.

It is funny because I have great logic in some instances and not in others. I attribute my crappy math skills to moving 25 times as a kid in grade school and high school. We were always moving and math is something that you have to learn in sequence not in bits and bites. So I would cover the same topic twice or miss a topic or whatever. You can't learn math skills that way.

And strange enough little R his math skills are pretty abominable but his linguistic skills are much better. His spoken linguistic skills are superb.

My husband ,his math skills are outstanding.

R is starting to accept his diagnosis. This is a good thing we had a really easy conversation about it last night. We came to the agreement that yes there needs to be acceptance. He doesn't need to be changed he needs to be accepted. There is a big movement among people who have autism. They don't want to be changed ,they don't want to be forced they just want to be accepted. Some are really hardcore about it and think that all therapies are evil. And that evil NT people just want to abuse them with therapies. Personally ,I believe we all have to live in this world together. And I think I should give my son every opportunity to live in this world successfully. And if a few therapies have to be done to help him be successful I'm all for that. But yes ,absolutely he should be accepted for who he is.

I agree with Temple Grandin!

I believe there's a balance. Therapy and meds are often needed to make it so that they are functional, able to communicate, able to cope. Those skills are key. But we shouldn't be changing who they are as people. That's not the point of therapy.

My sister (brother too) has been in therapy and taking meds for years and she has come a long way but she is still, well, her. She loves animals and cartoons and fan art of her favourite shows. I would never force her to "grow up" in her personal interests. I like to take her to see new Disney movies because I want to see them too and she's the only adult I know who enjoys them!

Therapy has allowed her to talk, cope, comprehend, and now she can hold down a food service job with some help and direction. She is functional to the best of her ability and that's all anyone can ask for. I am happy for her.

I am happy for her too. Yes,we all have to live in this world. And people deserve a life and independence. And if we can give them skills to do that awesome! And you're right the point of therapy is not to change who they are as a human beings but to give them coping skills.

From Autoimmune the cause and the cure

IS AUTISM AN AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE?

There is increasing evidence of immune dysfunction in children with autism. For example, in the following study the researchers stated that published findings have identified widespread changes in the immune systems of children with autism and that autism may in fact be a systemic disorder with connections to abnormal immune responses.

Immune dysfunction in autism: a pathway to treatment.

Careaga M1, et. al. Neurotherapeutics. 2010 Jul;7(3)

"...Published findings have identified widespread changes in the immune systems of children with autism, at both systemic and cellular levels...Together, these reports suggest that autism may in fact be a systemic disorder with connections to abnormal immune responses..."

link removed

We know that all autoimmune diseases follow the exact same underlying disease pathway and that this pathway originates with a lack of the enzymes required for dietary protein digestion - protease and DNase 1. So, if autism is an autoimmune disease, then we should be able to show that autism follows this same underlying disease pathway and that this pathway originates with a lack of the enzymes required for dietary protein digestion - protease and DNase 1.

AUTISM AND PROTEASE

Research confirms that children with autism lack the ability to digest proteins due to a lack of protease. For instance, in the following study the researchers found that all of the children tested with autism had abnormally low levels of a protease called chymotrypsin and concluded that the lack of chymotrypsin may have the potential to be used as a biomarker (a biologic feature that can be used to measure the presence of disease) in autism. In addition, the researchers stated that the inability to break down proteins into amino acids, due to a lack of this protease, may also undermine the synthesis of new proteins such as neurotransmitters, which in turn would ultimately affect cognitive and behavioral status.

Low Endogenous Fecal Chymotrypsin: A Possible Biomarker for Autism?

M. F. Heil1, Et. al.

"The objective of this study was to ascertain whether or not children with autism have abnormally low levels of the enzyme chymotrypsin, a serine protease that cleaves essential amino acids...All children in the autism group had abnormally low FCT [fecal chymotrypsin]...In contrast, no children in the neurotypical group had abnormally low levels of endogenous FCT...these group differences were highly significant...it may be the case that fecal chymotrypsin (FCT) may have utility as a potential biomarker for at least a subset of children with autism...This inability to break down protein into component amino acids may also undermine the synthesis of new proteins such as neurotransmitters, which in turn would ultimately affect cognitive and behavioral status..."

link removed

DENDRITIC CELLS - "THE PRIME INITIATORS OF AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE"

An additional consequence of lack of protease and DNase 1, besides the inability to "break down protein into component amino acids" would be that undigested protein particles and DNA would enter the bloodstream. The presence of these foreign protein particles and DNA in the bloodstream would activate immune cells called dendritic cells. Dendritic cells have been identified by researchers as "the prime initiators of autoimmune disease" (please see post dated Dec. 14th 2014).

DENDRITIC CELLS AND AUTISM

Research confirms that dendritic cells are activated in children with autism...see more at: link removed

DENTRITIC CELLS AND INFLAMMATORY CYTOKINES IN AUTISM

Dendritic cells release large amounts of inflammatory cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-6 (IL-6). So, we would expect to find that these cytokines are elevated in patients with autism.

Research confirms that patients with autism have elevated levels of these cytokines. For example, in the following study the researchers concluded that IL-6 was significantly increased in patients with autism and that this increased expression may be partially responsible for the pathogenesis of autism.

IL-6 is increased in the cerebellum of autistic brain and alters neural cell adhesion, migration and synaptic formation

Hongen Wei13, et .al. Journal of Neuroinflammation 2011, 8:52

"...Recent evidence shows that IL-6 has a crucial role in the development and plasticity of CNS...In this study, we found that IL-6 was significantly increased in the cerebellum of autistic subjects.

Our results provide further evidence that aberrant IL-6 may be associated with autism. In addition, our results suggest that the elevated IL-6 in the autistic brain could alter neural cell adhesion, migration and also cause an imbalance of excitatory and inhibitory circuits. Thus, increased IL-6 expression may be partially responsible for the pathogenesis of autism."

link removed

ELEVATED IL-6 AND A DEFICIENT IMMUNE RESPONSE TO VIRUSES IN AUTISM

As we have previously discussed, elevated levels of IL-6 can lead to reduced cytotoxic function of the immune cells that attack virus infected cells - CD8+T cells). This would explain why research has shown that children with autism can have a deficient immune response to the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine. For instance, in the following study the researchers found that children with autism were not only mounting an immune response to dietary proteins, but that they had a deficient immune response to the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine.

Possible immunological disorders in autism: concomitant autoimmunity and immune tolerance.

Kawashti MI1, et. al. Egypt J Immunol. 2006;13(1)

"...It is concluded that, autoimmune response to dietary proteins and deficient immune response to measles, mumps and rubella vaccine antigens might be associated with autism, as a leading cause or a resulting event..."

link removed

OTHER PARTS OF THE AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE PATHWAY

A lack of protease and DNase 1 would lead to many other disease ramifications in children with autism. For instance, we have recently been discussing how a lack of protease leads to elevated levels of the potent nerve and blood vessel toxin homocysteine in patients with autoimmune disease.

Among other things, elevated levels of homocysteine are associated with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke, cancer, diabetes, and abnormal collagen metabolism.

Homocysteine is elevated in patients with autoimmune disease due to an inability to properly metabolize vitamin B12 into the cells - the missing enzymes (protease and DNase 1) are responsible for this.

Due to a lack of these enzymes, children with autism also have low levels of vitamin B12 and elevated levels of homocysteine. For instance, in the following study the researchers found that homocysteine levels were significantly higher (more than twice the average) in children with autism as compared to healthy controls and vitamin B12 levels were significantly lower in autism as compared to controls.

In addition, the researchers concluded that elevated homocysteine may be involved as a causative factor and/or involved in the progression of autism and may be used as a biomarker for early testing for autism.

link removed

We have been having an increase in expressions of caring. I know my son deeply cares but people with autism have troubles with expressing interest in caring even though I know he does. The other day when we were out he turned to me and said, " how are you mom? Are you happy?" My heart just melted. MELTED. I said, " yes son, I am happy. Thank you so much for asking. I love it."

Last night we were watching the issues in Baltimore. He was very very concerned and saddened. We had a very long discussion about social issues. He is VERY observant and bright actually. He stunned me with some of his own observations about social issues. He is very much in tune with the pains of the world.