How to Handle This New Boss and New Job?

ChellyV

I am in the satellite installation industry for over 9 years, working from home.

I jumped to another contractor recently, but with a whole new software and system handling. I was trained for 2 hours by my new boss, which was a week ago. After that, NO COMMUNICATION. Like Poofftt. Since I work remotely, I have to make sure i am handling things very well and as expected. Like stated, this is a whole new system and politics. I have been calling, texting, emailing since Monday and it is now a Friday, ZERO RESPONSE. Everyday I start work at 7 am and end at 4 as agreed upon but through out the day I do go through some unique situations that need guidance to handle, although on my own I know how to do so. Just making sure I am doing it right.

How do I address this with the new employer in such a way that I do not appear demanding, at the same time remind him that hey we are a business here and there is a turn around time expectation?

I think that "reminding your boss" that we are in a business is not a good idea. In fact, it is a really BAD idea.

As Batya pointed out --- keep an email trail of what you have done and when you have asked for assistance. And if you KNOW how to handle it, then just handle it. He/she doesn't need to hold your hand. You have 9 years of experience ---- you should be fairly competent in your field.

That sounds really annoying. I work from home too, although not in the same type of job, and my clients are very responsive if I need them. Anyway, I agree with Batya that you should try to figure things out as best as you can yourself and if you do make a mistake you can (as tactfully as possible) bring up the fact that he was unable to answer any questions. I can see why you'd have questions even though you're experienced because every company has slightly different ways of doing things.

That sounds really annoying. I work from home too, although not in the same type of job, and my clients are very responsive if I need them. Anyway, I agree with Batya that you should try to figure things out as best as you can yourself and if you do make a mistake you can (as tactfully as possible) bring up the fact that he was unable to answer any questions. I can see why you'd have questions even though you're experienced because every company has slightly different ways of doing things.

Exactly! I have questions because this company has its own policies and hierarchy.

Still have not heard back but will definitely keep an email trail. Just a bit paranoid that he changed his mind about my employment...

through out the day I do go through some unique situations that need guidance to handle, although on my own I know how to do so. Just making sure I am doing it right.

Tell this to boss and ask him to designate a fellow colleague or team lead that you can exchange details with when you uncover an issue or need confirmation and a go-ahead.

If he fails to provide that contact, consider yourself covered by the request and follow up with it regularly stating that 'this is my second request...' and 'this is my third request."

This should cover you on potential liability, but you may want to consult with your local department of labor, a labor attorney or a professional group for advice.

I've worked as a contractor or consultant for most of my professional life, and once I've requested guidance on an issue and have documented my followups, I've at least given myself mental freedom from concern about an employers choice to ignore my red flag.

Exactly! I have questions because this company has its own policies and hierarchy.

Still have not heard back but will definitely keep an email trail. Just a bit paranoid that he changed his mind about my employment...

Yeah, hopefully you receive your first paycheck. If you don't I'd get suspicious. I've had disappearing clients as a freelancer and have been tempted to disappear myself occasionally, but I don't recall ever doing that. I know one of my clients is unresponsive for a few days sometimes (which I don't think is a long time, really) because he's travelling and kind of lives a digital nomad lifestyle, but I'm not sure if that's the case for your boss.

UPDATE!!!

Today I was laid off. The reason given was the company received its 30 days notice from the contract.

On top of my two weeks worth of work, he is throwing in another two weeks for the inconvenience. Duh. I did not pursue it anymore. I just accepted it as it is. I will never know why he let me go but oh well. Lessons learned.

UPDATE!!!

Today I was laid off. The reason given was the company received its 30 days notice from the contract.

On top of my two weeks worth of work, he is throwing in another two weeks for the inconvenience. Duh. I did not pursue it anymore. I just accepted it as it is. I will never know why he let me go but oh well. Lessons learned.

Congrats on the extra 2 weeks, it's rare for a contractor to get that. You dodged a bullet. You weren't being trained or supervised, which means that these people likely mis-managed their way off this job.

Head high--you weren't comfortable with this situation anyway, and at least you got some unbilled money our of the deal.

Archived