Eating good to lose weight and gain hair?

I know a lot of people diet when they are trying to get their bodies into shape...but do you also consider including good things for your hair? I experienced hair loss last year after having a baby and it seems like, though I've changed eating habits to lose the baby weight...it's not helping my hair return to it's pre-baby state. I read up on it and I know there are foods to make sure to include in your diet like proteins, etc. which I try but still nothing. Any recommendations???

It is entirely normal to lose some hair after having a baby. It is the shift in hormones. I know it is distressing and you want to be exactly the same as before but we are seldom exactly the same after a baby as before. There are some body changes that are permanent. Certainly there are treatments you can use on your hair to make it looks better and there are vitamins to take etc. Eating well and sleeping well will all add to one looking better. But as far as dramatic changes I don't think they happen.

My son will be 4 next month and I still shed hair a lot. The first 6ish months after I had him, I went to my doctor crying because I just knew all of my hair was going to fall out. I already have thin hair as it is and my hair was falling out by the handfuls. It's gotten better but like I said, I still shed a lot. In the shower, when i'm brushing my hair, taking rubberbands out of my hair, at work...everywhere!

I eat a lot of fish...salmon, tuna, tilapia. I take biotin and fish oil supplements as well. Prenatal vitamins are also really good for your hair and nails.

I know a lot of people diet when they are trying to get their bodies into shape...but do you also consider including good things for your hair? I experienced hair loss last year after having a baby and it seems like, though I've changed eating habits to lose the baby weight...it's not helping my hair return to it's pre-baby state. I read up on it and I know there are foods to make sure to include in your diet like proteins, etc. which I try but still nothing. Any recommendations???

I would purchase Hair, Nails and Skin vitamins and following the instructions to the letter. In 3 months you will see a change in your nails and 6 months is when the hair strength kick in. I agree with others to go to you gyney and get your thyroid checked. Also there is a topical products that are herbal that you can supplement with all the other suggestions you have received.

Biotin supplements helped me get my hair back after an illness thinned it out coupled with a very clean diet of protein and green leafy veggies. I know Sephora also sells a hair and nails vitamin packet, which I have a friend swear by. Never tried those myself, but would if I needed to.

In the meantime dry shampoo in a matching hair color will give the illusion of fullness and more hair if you do it right. I love the stuff!

I have experienced devastatingly massive hair-loss in my life, not because of a baby, but due to a thyroid issue and really low iron. So I know how you feel. It is totally normal to have a big shed about three months following a change in hormones (so giving birth), but it should stop and start growing back. Has yours stopped shedding and do you see new hair sprouts? If not, go to your doc and get your thyroid and hormones checked. It is really common for your thyroid to be knocked out of balance after giving birth, and a symptom of low-thyroid is hair loss. Get your iron (ferritin) checked too, anything under 80 could promote hairloss.

if you do see knew sprouts growing, start eating protein (eggs are great)--hair needs it to be strong, and eat really clean in general, whole grains, veggies and fruits, healthy fats, low sugar/caffeine/fat/fatty meats.

Get some silica gel (not the pill, the gel) and take a spoonful in water everyday--silica helps hair growth and helps to strengthen your hair. Also, scalp massages, everyday, tip your head forward and down to get the blood flowing to your scalp, flip your hair over and apply some oil (Castor, grapeseed, camellia, coconut, avacadoe, olive, almond...whatever) and massage for 5 10 minutes. This increases blood flow which will stimulate your scalp to grow more hair.

I made an oil that really helped me, it was half/half castor oil and camellia oil (castor oil works wonders to promote hair growth, you can even use it on eyelashes to get them long and thick--it's really sticky so you need to cut it with a lighter oil) and added a few drops each of lavender/rosemary/clary sage/thyme essential oil. Those essential oils are known to help stimulate your scalp to grow hair.

Oh my goodness, thank you all so much for your suggestions/tips. I was losing hope, afraid I'd have to do something huge like those commercials I see on tv for Bosley (I even started doing research and found this... link removed which just depressed me even more). I especially appreciate the straightforward tips from happpybear. I will definitely get right on the oils and everything. I always like to try the natural solutions before going the pill route but wasn't sure of any so thank you again.

And I'm assuming all the oils you mentioned can be found at like a whole foods store, correct?

Oh my goodness, thank you all so much for your suggestions/tips. I was losing hope, afraid I'd have to do something huge like those commercials I see on tv for Bosley (I even started doing research and found this... link removed which just depressed me even more). I especially appreciate the straightforward tips from happpybear. I will definitely get right on the oils and everything. I always like to try the natural solutions before going the pill route but wasn't sure of any so thank you again.

And I'm assuming all the oils you mentioned can be found at like a whole foods store, correct?

Yes you can get all the oils at the healthfood/natural food stores--the essential oils can get a bit pricey, especially lavender.

--This is really important--

I don't know if you have ever dealt with essential oils before, but just 2-3 drops of each will likely do, but they HAVE to be mixed with a carrier oil at a ratio (google it, darn I can't find my recipe anymore and I don't know the ratio offhand, sorry) you don't want to add too much of the essential oils because they can burn your skin, or cause headaches or worse if applied to strongly too the skin.

Hope it all works out for you and you get your hair back! I know how awful it feels when it starts to shed out, really does a number on the self-esteem for sure.

Archived