Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

How I Met Your Mother finale

hers

I'm gonna start by saying if you get pissed about spoilers, then you shouldn't have clicked this thread.

Anyone watch it? What are your thoughts?

I, for one, am ridiculously disappointed and angered by that ending! 9 years spent watching this show and being loyal to it and loving the heck out of it...and then this. Wow.

I'm ok with them killing the mother off. I think the way they did it was quite emotional yet lovely. But they could've ended there. Instead, they kept going for about 3 or 4 more minutes just to have him go after Robin again, bc we all know how well that worked for all 9 years. Plus, the whole 9th season took place during the wedding weekend (which was disappointing too) and they got divorced 3 years later.

Just...everything about it. Disappointing.

I haven't read the buzzfeed yet, but I will after I finish watching the show (I'm watching it currently).

I did read the spoilers though, and I agree it seems a HUGE disappointment. I mean, there's such a build up for the mother and then she dies and serves a little place in the gang, only as a filler for Robin? What the-?

However, it does sort of make sense though. Ted always wanted kids. Robin didn't and couldn't. Tracy had her love of her life that died. So perhaps, Robin and Tracy to him, is like two people he could have been with. Robin, he couldn't because of the technicality of kids (just as Tracy couldn't be with her first love). So Tracy and Ted got together, had kids and a wonderful life until she went. Now the kid part is fulfilled... The technicality is gone... Robin and Ted can be together. So it works.

BUT WHAT THE HELL.

The show's called How I Met Your Mother, not How I Finally Got Robin.

But is robin just supposed to be a happy step mom now? really, if she didn't want her own kids, did that mean she's ok with step kids or no?

I just feel like he settled when he saw he couldn't have robin anymore and he never really loved the mom, based on how they finished it.

Finished the show! Buzzfeed next. And omfg, the actors looks soooo young (at their final credit thing).

Well, I do get the sense that the kids are nearly or are at the age they can go to college, so that's less of "having" kids for Robin, and she won't really be a mother but a fun aunt-type anyway. If he needs to punish the kids or talk to them or whatever, that's his job, never hers. Robin did mention some episodes before that she doesn't mind being a fun aunt. I get the feeling that she's scared to screw up a kid, so that won't ever be her fault now. Plus, Robin also fulfilled her desires of traveling the world, too. That part fits for me, I guess.

As for Barney, I do get the sense that he's torn over it but masking it with all the antics he usually does. Just as he did before. Mommy issues perhaps, or just abandonment issues. Dunno. When he get his own kid, he's now realizing this kid won't ever leave him, and it's a girl. He has to be that person for his own girl, nothing else. That part fits too. Sorta. I'll just accept this part.

But I still don't like the inclusion of the mother. It doesn't feel like when they finally... Introduced her, they included her. It was more like an exclusion. I mean, I get you, it does feel like Ted settled because hell, it's Robin's wedding and he immediately finds a girl? Never mind the fated aspects or the "destiny" thing he felt by meeting her, the timing is still wrong. I thought it would make sense if he missed her anyway but bumped into her later, after an adequate time for him to move on. But especially, I was expecting the show to have at least a good amount of episodes or maybe another season about silliness of the gang with the mother. It makes sense that way. I mean, there's so much build up for the mother... And then she doesn't give much significance to it. At least, for the people who's watching the show!

Read buzzfeed, and I do agree with the weekend thing. I do want the season to take place elsewhere normally as it usually does, not just for the wedding. Doesn't make sense anyway -- too many things happened that it ought to be a week! Plus, if the season wasn't so focused on the wedding, then the divorce of Robin and Barney could make sense. I mean, there was so much feelings, figuring out how to solve conflict, and etc between them on that weekend, and then it ended? Well. It does make sense in a way because Barney has so much issues. I would think that caused the divorced, feeling abandoned perhaps by her working all over the world? And he never really... Talked to figure out a solution? I dunno. Needs more work there.

I MIGHT could have lived with Ted ending up with Robin if they had done it in a subtle way and not focused so much on their getting back together. Like mentioned it as an afterthought or something.

And they completely screwed up by doing the last season during Barney and Robin's wedding for them to divorce three years later!! I mean, my God!

Archived