Frustrated at work

Not sure if this is me being emotional from having a very crappy night, it being Thanksgiving and all.

Thinking about work, it gets me very stressed out. I work as a tech in a pharmacy...a somewhat new tech. It's so frustrating for me, and not because of the customers being upset about not getting their meds or their insurance. I'm stressed out about it because I feel like I have to constantly ask the other techs or the pharmacist on duty 10 questions an hours (I can't even keep track)...

I don't think I'm dumb, but maybe something just doesn't click in my mind about all these various very specific codes.

I hate to be so dependable. There is only one pharmacist at time for most of the day and I feel so bad when I have to ask them so many questions. I was told it takes a long time to really learn everything, but that doesn't help me feel better.

I think my pharmacists probably think I'm slow at catching up. My self-esteem isn't very high right now, and I just feel AWFUL. I don't think I've really felt this dumb. All the jobs I held in the past, I've always been on top of things, but this whole tech thing is really challenging me. I used to pride myself that I always stuck to my job, but numerous times already I say to myself that I want to quit this, which honestly makes me feel like I'm a loser.

Are my feelings normal? Am I being too hard on myself or maybe perhaps pharmacy just isn't my thing? I was also heavily considering pharmacy school, but I'm glad that won't be an option anymore.

Yes, you are being verrry hard on yourself. I know someone who also worked as a pharmacy tech and she was miserable....but more because she couldn't deal with all the 'pill heads'. I've heard that there is a LOT you have to remember in that field....and you just started. Your co workers understand this, and if they don't, then explain it to them...'listen, I don't mean to be an annoyance, Im doing my best. Is there something that made this easier for you?'

Your co workers have been where you are, so they will probably have no problems with helping you. Just ask.

Is there a way that you can create a cheat sheet, or carry a notebook to jot down all the information?

I know that typically when I'm learning something new, I like to take massive notes, and when I'm not sure about something, I go back to my notes.

Is this an option for you?

I would approach the pharmacist I feel most comfortable with and ask his/her suggestions for things I can study on my own time to become better acclimated to the job.

I'd also ask whether I appear to be having more trouble learning than average, or whether my questions have been reasonable and on target for learning something so new and complex.

You may be able to find out which areas you perform the weakest -OR- that the only person you're driving nuts with your own perfectionism is yourself.

One more thing: I've asked myself this question, and his has helped me to change my self talk, which is a habit like anything else. "What would happen if my critical voice decided to be kind and supportive rather than critical?"

Liberate yourself from perfection, and just do the best you can. In most cases, that's all anyone really wants from you.

Archived