a blow to my manhood...

wanderer

i'm single and definetly looking to start dating new people. of course, one of the most common dates that people do is go to the movies. now, i love a good comedy or action flick, but i really have this problem with scary movies... to be perfectly honest, scary movies (not to mention scary rides at themeparks) do exactly that, they scare the daylights out of me. i hate seeing gore and other scary stuff like that, and i usually get nightmares after seeing a scary movie. obviously this is a problem because if i'm on a first date with a girl i like, and she wants to see a scary movie, i'm in trouble. aside from dating, when i watch movies with my friends, i always have to make excuses why we shouldn't watch a scary movie, stuff like "oh it's stupid" or "i don't feel like watching that".

this is really embarrassing to say all this, it feels like a huge blow to my manhood. i feel like girls i like will think i'm a pansy because i don't like scary movies, and my friends alsogive me crap about it on occasion. my question is, is there any way i can get over this fear of scary movies? i just don't understand how people can find them so much fun to watch, but i'm sick of being the pansy all the time. sometimes i tell my friends that i'm busy on a saturday night so i don't have to go with them to see "the ring" or something like that.

advice is appreciated... help me..

Okay, well, It's not a huge blow to your manhood, but its not something you should be afraid of. Movies are ...movies, never lose sight of that. Btw, 'the ring' isn't gory, just little scary. People like seeing scary movies just to get a little rise or something, like riding a roller coaster. When I was little, I used to hate watching them, but even as an 18 year old now, I can't find a movie that really 'scares' me now....they're almost boring b/c they aren't as good as they used to be to me.

You're just gonna have to face your fear, go see some movies....or you can rent some.....see them with some good friends first, or with family. Renting them would probably be better b/c if you get that scared, you can always stop them. The best thing tho would just be to face it though if that's what you really want....

Don't worry about it. I honestly think most of these gore movies are basically snuff films and very disturbing. And I know lots of guys that don't like scary/gross movies. In fact, none of my boyfriends that I can recall liked them, and they were very masculine guys!

Hi there,

I don't think this should be a big deal. Next time you are out with a girl and she wants to watch a horror flick just tell her that those type of movies upset your stomach. You don't have to tell her you are scared.

I'm not into horror myself but I have gone to some gory movies on a date. Honestly I never thought about what my date wanted to see --but if he would have said no it would have been ok.

Mun

Hey, when was the last ime you've seen a scary movie? Heres my story, I havnt seen one for years, because I knew I didnt like them and didnt want to watch them, but on one of my dates, my gf wanted to go see a scary movie, it was supposed to be a really scary movie, so I tried talking her out of it, but she was really looking forward to going so I didnt want to disappoint her, so I went, then I realized that scary movies are not bad at all, after that Ive been able to watch them, and I dont get scared, Ya, when something pops up, its goin to scare you, but just becasue you wernt expecting it, but if you think about, most scary movies have retarded plots, so go see it, and maybe you'll feel the same as me, and they wont be a big deal anymore, goodluck!

Hey there! I'm exactly like this. If i'm with friends and they say to watch a scary movie, I will usually back out as well. However, if i was with a lady that then I would have no problem watching it. My best advice is to fall asleep half-way through the movie or something!

Good Luck!

Don't worry your not the only guy who doesn't like those movies. I don't like gore or excessive violence, especially when it seems to be put in for no reason other than to just have more blood. People like it for the same reason they like rollar coaster or extreme sports, they find the rush thrilling. When you think about some of those scary movies they can actually seem quite silly and predictable. Maybe you could try to laugh off your fear.

About going on a date, i'm thinking some girl might think its cute and like it. Also if there is a really scary part the two of you can hold each other.

ok well the guy i am talking to now is 22, and i had no idea he was afraid to go see scary movies, and he didn not tell me this. So when i first met him, we planned on going to see a scary movie and i'm all thinking "ok yay! he is totally gonna hold me, cuz i get sooo scared!" haha BUUUUTTT....he was scared as well, and it honestly turned me on, becuase he was himself and did not act all macho and what not...we actually held eachother, and jumped a mile high out of our seats at the same time haha it was fun, and i got to hold him as well and he would put his face nuzzled in my neck when he didn't want to watch. I have no problems with it at all. Just as long as in real life, he could have the courage to help me if i was in danger at all...which any guy would do that for someone they care bout....hope this helped

wow what has the world come to!? you guys don't like gore or violence!!? my my

ok ok i know im not helping, but its nothing to be ashamed of i dont like chick flicks and thats no diffrent then scarey movies, its just another genre...just flat out say "i dont like scarey movies...they dont intrest me, lets go see a comedy"

I'm actually a make-up effects artist (one of my many film related jobs) and I just want to say I'm glad to see there are men out there that still honestly get bothered by the effects-work in horror films.

It's nothing to be ashamed of...as long as yer not one of these burly macho tough guys who act hard. How hard can a person be if they cant handle fake blood and latex?

Okay, No. I definently think thats the cutest thing ever. Aww.. But I'm obsessed with scary movies! They're so awesome.. you should find a girl to snuggle up with and watch one.. You'll probably be more focused on each other and you'll learn to like scary movies more. *wink wink*. Lol just kidding, but its really cute you're scared of scary movies.. But oh my gosh, I'm soooo scared of rollercoasters.. I went to Cedar point one year and my sister was like yeah this isn't scary, and i got on.. even though I had my doubts. Oh my gosh i was cussing so much and like closing my eyes trying not to die.. lol.