Anyone else despise cleaning as much as me?

oitnb

I mean, I HATE it. I will procrastinate cleaning the house for hours before I actually start. And it's not laziness, I work a hard job, am planning on getting a second, cook frequently, and take care of my two fur-babies.

I just can't stand cleaning. I don't like a messy house, so I eventually force myself to do it. Any tips to make it less miserable? & anyone out there who hates it as much as me?

It's like exercise --- the thought of doing it is worse than actually just getting started and getting it done.

Blast some music, sing at the top of your lungs ---- and just do it.

Or, do what I do --- hire someone.

Ha! I wish I had the money to hire someone, I would do it in a second! But yes, it's the procrastinating doing it that makes it worse.

I've found cleaning in short spurts to be helpful. Let's say you are watching a 1 hour TV show. The show is actually only 42 minutes long, with 18 minutes of commercials. During each one of the commercials, get up and go clean something, or organize. At the end of one show, you've done 18 minutes of cleaning. Imagine if you watched 3 shows in one night! Almost an hour of cleaning done, with barely noticing it.

When you are walking from one room to another, put away one thing back into its place. These little things help.

Have you ever looked into the costs of hiring a cleaning service in your area?

I hired a service about 3 years ago. Got a couple companies to come out and provide estimates (free) before deciding who to hire. There was a pretty big difference in the prices each charged for comparable services. Settled on a locally owned company to come out 1x a month for less than $100 per visit. I have a 1300 sq ft house and they send out a crew of 3 and are in and out of here in less than an hour. They are bonded and insured, so if they accidentally break anything, it's covered.

You could also see about hiring an individual who'd work for cash under the table or, like, the teenage offspring of a friend or something like that....but they probably won't have the liability coverage a cleaning company does. On the plus side, they'd probably do the work for less than a cleaning company.

I've found cleaning in short spurts to be helpful. Let's say you are watching a 1 hour TV show. The show is actually only 42 minutes long, with 18 minutes of commercials. During each one of the commercials, get up and go clean something, or organize. At the end of one show, you've done 18 minutes of cleaning. Imagine if you watched 3 shows in one night! Almost an hour of cleaning done, with barely noticing it.

When you are walking from one room to another, put away one thing back into its place. These little things help.

Ohh good tip! I like it! While it won't help tonight, my whole house is a mess so I really just need to get down to it, i will def do it in the future!

Ohh good tip! I like it! While it won't help tonight, my whole house is a mess so I really just need to get down to it, i will def do it in the future!

good. And you know, even just setting the timer works for me. "CLEAN UNTIL THE HOUSE IS DONE" is too big a task for me. But if I set a timer and tell myself "I will clean for 20 minutes tonight" - that usually goes by quickly. After a few nights of that, things look better soon.

good. And you know, even just setting the timer works for me. "CLEAN UNTIL THE HOUSE IS DONE" is too big a task for me. But if I set a timer and tell myself "I will clean for 20 minutes tonight" - that usually goes by quickly. After a few nights of that, things look better soon.

Yes, very true. It's a daunting task to say "the whole house will be clean tonight". I'm just going to start forcing myself to clean 20 mins a day, after tonight of course, lol.

Am I the only freak here? I am a bit like Monica from Friends, I love cleaning. The buzz I get from sitting down when it is finished and seeing a sparkling house is amazing.

My Son's gf used my ensuite once and the hand towel was put back in a different position, so I knew someone had used it. They looked at me like I was insane when I asked which one of them had been in there LOL.

Am I the only freak here? I am a bit like Monica from Friends, I love cleaning. The buzz I get from sitting down when it is finished and seeing a sparkling house is amazing.

My Son's gf used my ensuite once and the hand towel was put back in a different position, so I knew someone had used it. They looked at me like I was insane when I asked which one of them had been in there LOL.

Haha no, I know alot of people that love cleaning. I wish I was one of them!

No Monica -- my college roommate was like that....when she got on a tear, I just directed her to my room and left the house!!!

My boyfriend starts compulsively cleaning whenever we argue! Lol sometimes it's hard to take him serious, argueing while running around with a wash rag & windex!

I love cleaning also! It does get old if I do all of my weekly things at one time, but if I do half at a time it's not bad & I love how my house smells after I've vacuumed & lit some candles!

It is easier to clean if you pick up after yourself in general. Ie, loading dishes directly into the dishwasher, putting things away after you get them out, tossing out junk mail as soon as you get it. I say this while I have books, magazines, mail & other things all over the place. Easier said than done!

My boyfriend starts compulsively cleaning whenever we argue! Lol sometimes it's hard to take him serious, argueing while running around with a wash rag & windex!

We have the same boyfriend apparently, lol. He cleans when he's upset or angry. Or is on the phone, he'll put things away WITHOUT even thinking of it. Like afterwards, he'd be wondering where he put a specific object that he JUST put away on the phone. He's OCD with cleaning apparently.

Having a boyfriend like him helps, for me that is. I don't like to clean (not counting my random odd spurts where I'm in a cleaning whirlwind), but I like to clean for him. Funny though, he's a clean person and I'm more of the organized person. Everything in its place. Combine us together, you get a superhero team, lol.

We have the same boyfriend apparently, lol. He cleans when he's upset or angry. Or is on the phone, he'll put things away WITHOUT even thinking of it. Like afterwards, he'd be wondering where he put a specific object that he JUST put away on the phone. He's OCD with cleaning apparently.

Having a boyfriend like him helps, for me that is. I don't like to clean (not counting my random odd spurts where I'm in a cleaning whirlwind), but I like to clean for him. Funny though, he's a clean person and I'm more of the organized person. Everything in its place. Combine us together, you get a superhero team, lol.

Lol my bf is the exact same way! It does help a lot, especially since I hate cleaning!

Archived