Was I wrong here ?

EQIQ

Just want some opinions on this, not a big deal, but I am curious none the less.

I spent the weekend with my GF, and was yesterday at her friend's home, where she is staying for a while, since her apt is under renovation, and here's what happened. I was very tired from 2 nights of very little sleep, but we still wanted to hang out and do something before I headed home.

The first option was going out to play soccer with some friends, but that got cancelled. And then she mentioned, well how about we watch "X movie", that we had been meaning to watch together for a while anyway? And I said, cool I'm down for that. This was at 4PM or so. She had told me earlier that there is a show she likes that she wanted to watch at 9PM, and I had no problems with that.

Then we take a nap from 4:30 - 6:30 or so, I go wake her up, ask her if she wanted to come watch the movie, she said she would do it soon, and started fixing some stuff up in the room she is staying. No problem, I went do some other stuff. Then around 7:40 we were about to go start the movie, and she told me she would have to stop at 9, and that I would have to watch the end on my own, because she wanted to watch the other show on the other TV. Then I said, no, I am here to watch the movie with you, if you are going to do that I am just going to go home (1 hr away), and get some sleep. If I am to watch it alone, I can download it and watch it at home another time.

So things played around that for a while, she got somewhat annoyed, but I didn't back down. In the end we watched the full movie together and she missed her show.

I think I was not wrong because 1) I traveled there to spend time with her, and am not going to compete for attention with a TV show, if that is more important, then I rather head home on my own terms, than to be left hanging as a second option. 2) She not getting to watch the show is her own fault. I woke her up around 6:30, and she wanted to get other things done first, we could have watched the movie, had time to spare, and still catch the show... so too bad. 3) Even though she mentioned to me that she had watched the movie recently, so I understand her not being super excited about it, she brought up the idea in the first place. If she had told me this previously, and said she was not too excited to watch the movie, I would have had no problems doing something else with her until 9.

Should I have just agreed with her, was I wrong in this? It's not a big deal, but it is something that maybe I can see repeating in the future, where I can be in the other side of the coin.. for example... "Babe at this time I gtg because my friends scheduled a soccer game..." .. Or... "Brasil is going to be playing a game right now, so you can come watch it with me, but I am def watching the game". Or something along those lines.

I don't have much experience with relationships and want to be balanced about this.

I think it's a bit ridiculous of her to set that 9 PM rule - especially where there is DVR, Tivo, and you can watch shows the next day on Hulu. is the show "Revenge?" I love that show!! But it is shown on Hulu the next day. so she can deal.

I think you were right - why play second banana to a TV show when you can go back to your own apartment? she was being a poor host and rude GF.

ps - if it's a spoiler issue, like my coworker likes Revenge as well, I just tell her I haven't watched the episode and we can talk about it on tuesday (after I watch it on Hulu on monday night).

I think it's a bit harder to do with sports games - the scores are splashed on the front pages of the news paper the next day and on the cover of link removed and such.... On the other hand, I can pretty much avoid hearing what happened on Revenge last night.

I think it's a bit ridiculous of her to set that 9 PM rule - especially where there is DVR, Tivo, and you can watch shows the next day on Hulu. is the show "Revenge?" I love that show!! But it is shown on Hulu the next day. so she can deal.

I think you were right - why play second banana to a TV show when you can go back to your own apartment? she was being a poor host and rude GF.

Yep, right on lol Revenge it is. And that is also another point. She mentioned to me that she missed the show last long weekend (we were travelling), and she watched it later in the week.

She told me when I was leaving that we would talk about it later. After the first 5-10 minutes of the movie (I could tell she was a little annoyed lol), she was fine, affectionate, lying on lap, hugged / kissed good bye, but she seemed down for some reason. Anyway, it wasn't like she was pissed or anything.

I just think that I should refuse to be made someone's second option, principally my GF's. I think that if I allow someone to do that to me, they would start taking me for granted, and not give the proper respect.

I think you are right. You went over to spend quality time together and it was agreed that a movie was the activity. That was your purpose for being there longer. She had enough time to watch the movie and her show but she procrastinated. Like the others said, there are a dozen ways to catch up on the tv show.

You weren't wrong so no worries. I would let it go since you said she was fine after the movie got going.

Yeah I ain't gonna bring it up, but if she does I just wanted to see if I should compromise a bit, or if I should stand by the action I took. And well I should stand and not back down on this one. Unless she brings something up that I totally missed...

Archived