Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Elderly parents going to Australia

princess5

Hello my dear people hope you are all well. My spirits are low tonight. This week my parents are heading off to Australia for a five week trip of a lifetime. We are from a country in Western Europe. They are both pensioners, my dad has just hit 70 and my mum is not far behind him. Obviously both are now retired, and always wanted to go to Australia. While I am delighted they are getting a chance to fulfill their lifelong dream, I can't help but worry about them. Questions like, are they able for the long haul flight, the numerous internal flights they will be taking, are there hotels safe, keep buzzing around in my head. My mother organised the trip singlehandedly by herself, as she is a very independent, travel loving woman.

I guess I just need some reassurance they will be okay. I love them so much and would be devastated if anything were to happen them.

They will be fine! I assume they are smart people who know how to take care of themselves and Australia is a safe place. How are they getting around everywhere? Hire car, tour bus? Or just public transport/cabs?

I would suggest they take group tour buses around Australia. It's very popular for the elderly here. All the work is done for you, you just have to sit back and relax and take in the scenery. They pick you up/drop you off at hotels.

As someone from Australia, I can say that your parents are no less safe in Australia than they are in Western Europe. Our country and cities beat nearly all European countries in various standard of living, Human Development and liveability indexes (Norway tends to beat us).

I'm not sure what country you are from, but Australia has reciprical healthcare agreements with some countries in Europe for travelers. Regardless, make sure they have travelers insurance in case of anything going wrong.

They will be fine as long as they stretch their legs once and awhile. If anything they will find the long flight BORING.

As far as when they get there, its the same as visiting any other country, take care of your valuables etc.

I hope they are going to visit Port Douglas in Cairns or Kings Park in Perth!!

Archived