Someone help me to get slim!!!!

Normally, I'll write about my recent breakup and ask for advice on how to get over my ex COMPLETELY. But who cares about that chick? Anyway, since I've been back in school, I have quit football, joined theater, started writing music and began dieting and exercising. The problem is I do not have a real workout plan. I've been eating right (with the exception of this weekend), running 4-5 days out of the week and lifting lightly 3 days out of the week.

I was an offensive lineman (I'm not fat). Now that I'm a regular student, for once in my life I'd like to be slimmer and kind of cut up. Does anyone know of any great workout plans with a lot of cardio? I'm really trying to change my body so that I can look better, feel better and get more attention from females.

Lots of different types of cardio, weight training and do plyometrics. You can overdo cardio so switch it up. Run, bike, elliptical, rowing, etc. Your body gets used to one thing and you build muscle memory for that one thing. Also too much cardio can cause you to lose muscle mass and not keep burning the fat off. You can get "skinny fat". Weight training will help build the lean muscle mass. Low reps with heavy weight builds mass muscle. Higher reps with lower weight helps sculpt and tone what's already there.

Less calories. Aim for less. Make sure input is less than output and you'll shed some lbs.

I don't know what you mean as eat right, but eating clean and eat natural food will help. Replace complex carbs for simple, brown/wild rice for white. Even though the calories in one cup of either are the same, brown/wild rice is more filling - which cause you to eat less and be full longer. More veggies, digesting some veggies actually burn calories so it helps. Proteins, get more of this. Eat more turkey, chicken, beef, chicken, less pork since it's less lean. Eat avocadoes, incorporate olive oil in your meals, get good fats as most people don't get enough of it. Stay away from sodium, don't want to retain too much water.

Do/look into doing HIIT 3x a week.

Lift heavy (muscle failure after 3-4 reps) at least once a week, and limit your daily carb intake to a one hour window immediately post-workout. On days when you don't workout, cut out carbs completely.

Eat all the meat and vegetables you want, but you have to earn your carbs.

Read labels. Sucrose / fructose is in almost everything. Avoid it like the plague.

Better yet, eat food that doesn't have an ingredient list on the label.

Well, I feel as though my advice would be welcomed in this thread. I played offensive line all throughout high school (but now play MLB in college). There are many programs you could do, but I'm guessing you've already made your "noob gains", since you were playing football, right? So, I wouldn't necessarily recommend Starting Strength. However, one program I would recommend is Sheiko. There are many Sheiko programs, but generally, you want to start with 29, then do 37, then do 32. It is VERY high volume, and the workouts are long, but you will make gains. It IS a powerlifting routine, however, I like to incorporate bodybuilding into my assistance exercises. After my first month and a half on the program, my deadlift went from 425 to 500, and my bench went from 315 to 370. Really good gains, and this was all on a caloric deficit (I'm cutting).

Also, if you're looking for more bodybuilding advice (they have many experienced PLers and athletes [football players] there as well), what better place to go than link removed? Just avoid the Misc section if you want serious advice.

As for dieting, have you tried keto or low-carb? I like to consume about 50g of carbs, 150g of fat, and 250g of protein a day, and my body recomposition has been pretty successful. I've not only retained all my strength from when I was 295 (I'm 215 now), but I've gained strength, obviously gained speed, and I just feel great. Combine that with intermittent fasting, and I've had great results.

As for paleo, I'd avoid it unless you plan on carb-loading on weekends. I also personally don't like CF for a whole host of reasons (mostly because it's just random stuff that makes you tired), but I don't really care if others do it, as it leaves the power rack open for me.

Hey top-five,

I'm not any kind of fad dieter, but earlier this year I buddied up with a co-worker who wanted to lose weight and we did the "17 day" diet. I actually followed the plan for the time period, but now that I'm on my own, I find a lot of the things in that diet are really good habits to have and help you maintain your weight.

A great way to kickstart any 'diet plan' is to really reduce the amount of carbs you in take and ramp up your vegetable and fruit consumption. With the diet I mentioned, most carbs/sugars were consumed earlier in the day so you could burn them off the rest of the day. I still try to aim for this in my current routine.

Another tool for any diet/exercise program is link removed where you can track what you do each day. I personally found this really helpful to be able to track what I'm doing/eating and if I have deficiencies. I believe they might even have exercise plans.

I have never followed an exercise plan I just try to do something each day (walk, job, bike etc)

Check out link removed to access lots of information about diet and exercise specific to your request. They also have a forum. There were some good suggestions here, but your best bet would be to go to link removed to look for answers.

Also, if you are serious about results you may want to consider getting a trainer. You can find trainers through local gyms and even on Craigslist. There are trainers right out of college with degrees that you may find less expensive than seasoned professional trainers. Remember, sometimes you get what you pay for, but that doesn't mean you can't interview them with the right set of questions to week out those that don't have a clue. If you don't have the money for seeing a trainer several days each week then consider seeing a trainer once or twice a month, if you can adhere to a workout plan and basic nutrition plan they provide you. Results don't come easy and nothing comes over night. If you do go the trainer route, consider it an investment you can use for the rest of your life.

I would say "good luck", but it's not a matter of luck, it's a matter of time and commitment

Archived