Stuck at 42lbs!!!! Help

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some advice really, I have been very over weight for a long time and at the end of last year I decided to do something about it. Since November I have lost 42lbs from eating a sensible low calorie low fat diet and doing regular exercise. I still have approx 50lbs to lose to be my healthy weight. However I'm stuck at 42lbs lost, for the past 3 weeks I haven't lost anything and i'm gutted! Even a pound a week would be fine but nothing. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I'm looking for advise you may be able to give me on kick starting my weight loss. I can't afford the gym but I walk to work 5 days a week which is 5 miles a day and I do an aerobics dvd a couple of times a week. I'm sticking to 1500 calories and 50g of fat a day at the moment. Any ideas?

Not looking for a quick fix, just feeling so disheartened right now

Thanks

Sugar xxxx

First, congratulations at the weight loss! 42 lbs is a fantastic amount...

It is normal to hit plateaus in weight loss as your metabolism adjusts. I'm a big fan of low carb diets where you can lose weight quickly... so you could switch to a low carb diet for a few weeks to jump start yourself again, then go back to the low calorie again when you've broken the plateau if you prefer high carb diets to low carb diets.

Congrats on your weightloss!! I just started up mine again after my weight went up after New Year's.

I don't know how much fiber you are currently eating, but if you ensure that you consume 35-40 grams of fiber a day, then you should start seeing some weightloss again.

Good Luck!!

I forgot to add that if you increase your fiber intake, then make sure you are drinking plenty of water along with it

yeah, plateaus happen for many people. i suggest you mix it up and try something different. as ld said, a low carb diet for a few weeks, or try some very different exercises at the gym (maybe take a cardio class is that is not something you usually do?). i think sometimes our bodies get stuck and need something different for a while. congrats on your loss so far!!!

You have to shock your system to break the plateau. Thats why people cycle diets (3 days low carbs, 1 day high carbs), or add cheat days (which is actually increase calories, then next day reducing it again). You might want to research this, no one can tailor your diet, its all personal.

Also, whatever you are doing, should have some form of progression. "Shocking your system" also includes exercise. Weight training combined with cardio is good for getting rid of stubborn fat. Reducing calories, and further burning it off (which is a loss in fat, water, and muscle- you dont use/grow muscle, it becomes useless and will be burned off, which lowers your metabolism), will make your body prioritize protecting fat (fat is a survival mechanism in our body).

I agree that cheat days can help !!! Sometimes having a high calorie day (like Easter dinner) followed by a low calorie day shocks the metabolism. I have noticed actually losing weight during holidays where I indulged one day, but not the other. 6 days in the week.

What do you mean by low fat? I wouldn't cut out any good fats as they are essential in burning excess fat. Cheat day I agree is a must; don't go overboard and eat pizza, cheeseburger and 32 oz of soda in one sitting either. Slice of pizza and 8 oz of soda wouldn't kill your progress of course. Without seeing your daily nutrition break down it's hard to say what you're exactly missing.

Archived