Moving internationally with a cat

anna0511

I'm going to be moving to Asia in December, to study and to be with my long-distance boyfriend. Until now, I was all set on bringing my 4 year old kitty with me. But as the move dates near, I'm not sure it's such a good idea, and I wonder if it might be better to leave her with here with a friend of friend, who's willing to take care of her. Obviously, I adore her and only want what's best for her. I'm wondering if any pet lovers here might have some advice.

Reasons why I'm getting anxious:

-It's going to be an 18 hour flight, plus layovers.

-I'm not sure how permanent this move is (could be anywhere between 7 months to 1 year and a half, before we come back).

-My boyfriend has a cat allergy, though he really likes her and is willing to cope with it (I've used a product on her fur to help control it)

-The country I'm going to is not particularly pet friendly, and I'm worried about not being able to find cat sitters when necessary. Also worried about the smallness of housing. And while she's an indoor cat, she occasionally slips out and comes back without me worrying too much. If she somehow got out there, I don't think I would see her again

The problem with leaving her behind is that I'm not sure how reliable her "host" family would be. While I know he's a responsible person who would take good care of her, his living situation is somewhat precarious as he an out-of-town student who may or may not be going home to his family during school holidays. Another option would be to find another home, but I think we all know how difficult it is to re-home adult cats.

Also, cost is not a big factor here. Should she stay here, I would cover all her expenses. Moving her isn't very expensive either.

Any thoughts? I'm really torn...

I'm not sure I have great advice here... just more to think about. Have you also looked into the requirements of entering the specific country you are going to with a cat? If you are going to China, for example, China may (probably does) have regulations in terms of what shots the cat would need to have, etc. Also - the airline. The airline probably also has requirements for which you will need to show proof.

I think those should be your first steps. Call immigration for whatever country it is and find out the requirements. If you haven't already done this, bringing the cat may not even be an option at this point. Then the airline.

It's a hard question, for sure. Under normal circumstances it can be limiting having a pet (finding the right apartment, etc). It will be even more so in another country. And is that country even accustomed to people having cats as pets? I don't really know - but there could be a culteral divide there too. And your bf is allergic...

I really kind of think you should find a temporary placement at home until you get back. I know you love your cat... but... that's a lot of work. And if your cat gets sick there? Can you afford/find a vet? One that speak English? It's a lot.

Do you have parents/siblings who could take the cat?

I'm not sure I have great advice here... just more to think about. Have you also looked into the requirements of entering the specific country you are going to with a cat? If you are going to China, for example, China may (probably does) have regulations in terms of what shots the cat would need to have, etc. Also - the airline. The airline probably also has requirements for which you will need to show proof.

I think those should be your first steps. Call immigration for whatever country it is and find out the requirements. If you haven't already done this, bringing the cat may not even be an option at this point. Then the airline.

Yes, I've check all the country specific requirements. She's all set to go with her shots, health certificate, etc... Got her approved by the airline- she would be flying in the cabin with me.

All my friends/family who want cats already have one. Yes, we could afford vet visits and language would not be a big problem as my bf speaks the language there.

For the sake of your cat, I would find her a home here. Moving long distances is very traumatic for cats, more so then you leaving them. I will never leave my country because I refuse to put my cats through that. I also have nightmares about them losing them. I moved accross country with my dog several times when I was younger and it was a nightmare. Once, at the last minute, they made me put her in cargo because she weighed 1/2 pound over the weight allowance. When I went to pick her up, I saw the employess kicking the pet kennels around if they were in their way. I took my little Chinese Crested with me when I flew to Detroit for an extended work assignment when I was a bit older. Saw the kicking of the crates again. Never again will I fly with a pet of mine.

Yes, I would be able to bring her back after she's cleared by a vet there. As for flying, she's be in the cabin, not cargo.

This would be a bit easier if I knew the move was permanent. But I would hate to put her through it more than once in less than half a year.

OG: What would you do something different if your SO was allergic to your cat? At this point, we don't know how severe my boyfriend's allergies are, because he hasn't spent that much time with us (max: 1 month). It seems manageable, but I'm also concerned that it may get worse. I know some families that deal with it by keeping cats in separate rooms, but I'm not sure how realistic this is. I hate this...

I think it's a really hard decision because I've personally heard of stories where pets have died in transit, it's a risk you would have to be willing to take. I'm moving overseas next year for a year and I need to decide what is best for my dog. I would LOVE to take her with me but if something happened on the way there I don't think I could live with myself.

If you think the move is just temporary, I would see if I could find a relative like your parents to temporarily take the cat. 7 months to a year will fly by fast, and I don't think you should adopt out your cat if it will be that short of a time. Keep in mind also, the shelters are very full with cats and the chance of your cat finding a home is daunting. I would even see if you could make an arrangement with someone you trust and pay the cat's expenses, etc, for him/her to stay. Also, if the person takes your cat that long, you can't expect them to stay home 24/7, if they would have someone come to feed their own cat while they were away, they should be able to do the same with yours. I would try not choosing another student, but like I say, do you have parents, etc, or a sis/brother whi is past college age who would do it?

If you were going to the UK or Canada, I would say it would be a safer bet because China is not as pet friendly. But if you did take your cat, you MUST make sure she does not slip out, even if you have to shut her in the bedroom while you are opening the door, etc. Better safe than sorry.

Also, is there an alternative? Are you going to school in China with your boyfriend or are you just going there to be with him? Could you take visit, and then come back home and go back if it is just visiting and not going to school?

Thank you for your replies. One note, I'm not moving to China (I would definitely not take her there), and there are no logistical issues hindering her travel, or return.

Right now, I'm looking at the option of having someone take care of her here. A shelter is not an option (I would definitely take her in that case).

Archived