Bi-Polar does it go away??

My friend is up and down alot lately and one minute she seems like she's on top of the world the next she is angry and yelling at me for stupid things. She was diagnosed with bi-polar a long time ago but she stopped taking her medicine and claims it went away. Like for example we were hanging out the other day at my house and she kept saying how tired she was and she always seems tired ( which could be a sign) She said she never gets any sleep and when we hang out she complains how tired she is. It's like don't you like hanging out with me?? Sorry if I am boring you....

No, it does not go away. It is a life time chemical imbalance. What most likely happened was she felt good and stopped taking her medication, it happens all the time. They feel good and think they are "cured". My dad was diagnosed at 20 and he is almost 66,he is still bipolar and always will be and he has done the on and off the medications when he felt great hundreds of times. She is still bipolar, she just would rather not admit it. If she was taking the right medication for her she would not have these highs and lows. If she is not sleeping she is mostly likely in a manic phase.

That's what I think! Like one minute she is this happy,happy person and the next she gets into these moods where I said what's wrong?? She will go nothing! Okay...... Then we are watching movies or just plain hanging out and all of sudden she says I am really tired I am going home. It's not like it's midnight or anything. It's 8 clock at night. Seriously no one can be that tired.

That's what I think! Like one minute she is this happy,happy person and the next she gets into these moods where I said what's wrong?? She will go nothing! Okay...... Then we are watching movies or just plain hanging out and all of sudden she says I am really tired I am going home. It's not like it's midnight or anything. It's 8 clock at night. Seriously no one can be that tired.

They CAN be that tired when they NEVER sleep.

Ya I know that but isn't it true when you don't sleep it is caused by depression??

When my dad was in a depressed phase he would sleep endlessly. All day every day,literally for months on end. When he was manic he was on top of the world, he could conquer anything, he did not sleep.

You need to realise that the way your friend is behaving is due to the illness, not to you, and different people manifest bipolar affective disorder in different ways. Without medication, this isn't going to change.

You need to ask yourself if you want to continue this friendship if your friend is so dead set on not taking the meds; if she can be persuaded to go back onto them, then all well and good. However, people vary enormously in their degree of insight into their problems, and it doesn't sound as though she has a great deal at the moment.

You need to realise that the way your friend is behaving is due to the illness, not to you, and different people manifest bipolar affective disorder in different ways. Without medication, this isn't going to change.

You need to ask yourself if you want to continue this friendship if your friend is so dead set on not taking the meds; if she can be persuaded to go back onto them, then all well and good. However, people vary enormously in their degree of insight into their problems, and it doesn't sound as though she has a great deal at the moment.

When the bipolar individual is who taking medz starts to stabilize because he/she is taking the medz they start to feel "normal" and don't feel they need the drugs now, TOTALLY FORGETTING THAT IT IS THE MEDICATION THAT IS CAUSING THEM TO GET BETTER. This phenonomen occurs frequently with bipolar individuals. The feel empowered with the use of medication and feel so good they think they don't need them anymore. This is what your friend has done. I think I would give her an ultimatum in this case. Tell her that her stopping the medication is very noticeable to you when she stops the medication. You want her to get back on the medication program because you can't deal with her otherwise.Bipolar individuals don't get well, but their condition can be treated with medicatiion. My daughter is bi-polar, so know a lot about it........chi
When the bipolar individual is who taking medz starts to stabilize because he/she is taking the medz they start to feel "normal" and don't feel they need the drugs now, TOTALLY FORGETTING THAT IT IS THE MEDICATION THAT IS CAUSING THEM TO GET BETTER. This phenonomen occurs frequently with bipolar individuals. The feel empowered with the use of medication and feel so good they think they don't need them anymore. This is what your friend has done. I think I would give her an ultimatum in this case. Tell her that her stopping the medication is very noticeable to you when she stops the medication. You want her to get back on the medication program because you can't deal with her otherwise.Bipolar individuals don't get well, but their condition can be treated with medicatiion. My daughter is bi-polar, so know a lot about it........chi

I am experiencing this very thing, I feel absolutely wonderful and amazing right now and want to stop my meds...I will proceed with caution.

Yep - I've worked in acute mental health wards for years now, and far and away the most common reason for patients being admitted is non-compliance with medication - which has led to the deterioration in their mental health.

Conversely, I also know people with the condition who have managed it really well over the years; I once asked a wonderful lady - a service user herself - why it is that some people can maintain successful, high-functioning lives and others will spend much of their adult life in hospital; she said that self-awareness and insight are the key things here that make the difference.

Yep - I've worked in acute mental health wards for years now, and far and away the most common reason for patients being admitted is non-compliance with medication - which has led to the deterioration in their mental health.

Conversely, I also know people with the condition who have managed it really well over the years; I once asked a wonderful lady - a service user herself - why it is that some people can maintain successful, high-functioning lives and others will spend much of their adult life in hospital; she said that self-awareness and insight are the key things here that make the difference.

Exactly. My father has lost everything and everyone in his life other than his father for not taking his medication.

I am experiencing this very thing, I feel absolutely wonderful and amazing right now and want to stop my meds...I will proceed with caution.

Please, please don't stop without your doctor's approval and supervision. This can all go south very easily if you attempt to do this on your own. I am concerned for you

Archived