Upstairs noise from young kids running-how evil is this response?

I"ve got a family on top of me with kids. The kids run, bang, and slam. I have PTSD and it only diminishes, never really goes away. Bangs and slams make it much worse.

I've tried direct communication with the family and basically they said thats apartment living. The building where I live require 80% carpeting. I've written a letter to the management company and called them on the phone. They've been unresponsive. I break my back to pay rent in this place and all i want is peace and quiet when i'm home.

I will not move out. Moving cost lots of money, I have a 2 year lease and if i try to leave early they will come after me legally. Even if i'm justified i have to get a lawyer to defend myself.

Those kids need sleep. I'm planning on waking them up every couple of hours tonight with light tapping on my ceiling. If the kids get no sleep, the parents get no sleep...maybe they'll get the point.

Thoughts?

What did the direct communication consist of?

A letter explaining my situation and 3 face to face visits in front of their apartment. Each time i was polite, humble, and civil. The first 2 visits they just said they'd try to keep it down. The 3rd visit they said, "thats apartment living, we can do what we want during the day."

The thing is if they are not creating noise after the time required by bylaw there is not much you can do. Also children have a right to play and run in their home. This is what children do and they should not be expected to tip toe and not play because someone else has a hard time with it, that is entirely unrealistic. This is basically living in apartments. You have to deal with other people and some noise. However if you make noise after the bylaw time you will get sited for making unreasonable noise.

They are required to have carpeting and they have none. If they don't follow rules why should i? I once had a sgt in the marines who said people will mistake kindness for weakness. And i feel by trying to be nice at first they decided to just shrug me off.

They assured me they were getting carpeting 2 months ago. So i let things slide for awhile. My last visit, which was a few days ago...they had none and when i mentioned i don't see any carpeting I could tell by the look on their faces there is none coming.

Then go to the land lord and say they have no carpeting. Deal with it through the land lord, but making noise in hopes that they will stop will create more issues and it won't solve the problem.

Been there done that. See above posts. I will be creating controlled limited noise to disrupt their sleep. Tonight is a school night. Lack of sleep is a morale killer. They will think about taking me more seriously in the morning.

Escalation is what i want. Duress and confrontation are no big deal for me short term. By increasing the stress of the situation it will lead to a resolution. Their kids are their weak/vunerable point. I'm not happy about doing this, but its time to fight back.

Oh, goodness. I agree with Victoria66. I don't think it's a good plan to retaliate. I think this should be done by the landlord.

Honestly? I would be in the landlord's office every day. Dropping by. Filing complaints. I'd also go to a tenant's advocacy group (you'll have to search for them - but they exist). If your landlord does not live up to their OWN rules, you can be entitled to a reduction in rent and/or be able to break your lease without recourse.

I think you SHOULD move - even if it's within the same building. Talk to the landlord about getting an apartment on the top floor. If you have PTSD and quiet is important to you, I don't know why you didn't think of that right away. A corner unit and/or a top floor unit has less neighbors and is less prone to noise.

It really IS apartment living. Children are children and they WILL run, scream and play in their own home despite what you do. I'd concentrate the complaints on the carpet issue. That's something that can easily be resolved.

... but the way you are planning to go about it is ill-advised. They will simply up the noise during the day and buy the children jump-ropes.

Handle it through the landlord who can actually DO something.

I appreciate the response RedDress. But see my above post about futility and expense of dealing with the landlord. The people upstairs aren't playing fair. When someone doesn't play fair, they must know you are willing to step outside boundaries also. I just feel bad for the kids, because i can be quite terrifying when i want to.

I would not threaten their kids. They can then call the police on you. I know I would if someone was "terrifying" or "threatening" with my kids. These kids should not be used in your plan. The problem you really have is a lazy land lord.

I don't make threats. Screams from a movie i'm watching late though...thats not a threat just noise. Also in the city where i live, threats made thru an apartment wall aren't considered unlawful cause there is no way to prove it was directed at them. I have friends that are cops and they respond to neighbors fighting all the time.

If you start making noise they could make complaints against you and it will just make matters worse. And usually the sympathy goes to the kids.

I suggest writing a letter to the landlord saying that unless they take immediate action to remedy this situation you will seek legal intervention to enforce your right to quiet enjoyment of your unit which is now compromised by their failure to enforce the terms of the lease of the upstairs tenants.

If you start making noise they could make complaints against you and it will just make matters worse. And usually the sympathy goes to the kids.

I suggest writing a letter to the landlord saying that unless they take immediate action to remedy this situation you will seek legal intervention to enforce your right to quiet enjoyment of your unit which is now compromised by their failure to enforce the terms of the lease of the upstairs tenants.

I've written to the landlord. Legal action is lengthy and expensive. I prefer using fear.

Archived