my gf gets severely depressed. lastnight she attempted suicide by drinking and taking pills, and this hasn't been the first attempt. she tells me when she's not depressed that she wants me to try as much to be around her when she gets depressed, but when she is she won't let me near her. i don't know what i'm supposed to do. she says she'll feel weird around me if she tells me what is going on in her head. she has told other people what she's thinking but that's only because other people told her that they had problems first. i feel that she's taking it out on me because i don't get depressed so there is no way that i could possible understand or attempt to help. now she won't even talk to me, she says she just wants space, but i'm afraid that there might be another repeat of lastnight and this time it might actually be successful.

It sounds to me that she is crying out for help. Not that she would do anything too serious, or mean to. She wants to put an end to her emotional pain by inflicting pain in other ways. I think you should try to be open with her about what your concerns are. Whether they concern her, the world, your problems. Tell her when you are upset about anything so she may feel that she can relate to you in some way. If you dont think that will work, gain her confidence and trust by telling her that you will not think any less of her if she opens up to you. That you are worried and that you care deeply and want to help in any way you can. Even if you dont understand the situation or emotions, you can be there as comfort for her if nothing else. Everyone needs a shoulder to cry on sometimes. There isn't a whole lot you CAN do other than be there for her as much as you can. If she doesnt feel comfortable talking to you, then that has to be respected. But you ccan still offer as much sympathy and comfort as possible.

I had similar experience. She would call me on the phone that she's comtemplating suicide, and we were long distance. It was very tough on the both of us. I think you have to try to find the cause, is it because of school, work, family, etc... Try to find professional help, cuz it's serious issues, and it's best leave it to social workers. Also a word of cautious, watch out for yourself as well. Don't let your gf's depression controls your emotion as well, try to be rational about it. I know the emotional toll on both of you can be overwhelming. Hope it's only temporary, and best of luck!