my boyfriend will not accept our relationship request on facebook. He has it privated and will not make it public even though i've asked him too. Whenever i ask him to change it he says he will but never does. We have been dating for 4 years and have had problems in the past with girls on facebook disrespecting our relationship. Am i overreacting or should he respect my wishes?

I don't think it's a big deal. Some people don't like publicizing their relationships, and even more don't like having to announce they are single after a breakup. It would probably be easier if he just told you why he didn't want to make it public rather than you getting mad at him.

Now, if he is keeping it as 'single' then that might be an issue. An even bigger issue is if he has it as 'looking for a relationship'.

I am also one who doesn't like to publicize my relationships... I don't like the facebook drama of "in a relationship", "single", "in a relationship", "single"...

... but... you've been dating 4 years. That's an exception in my books...

Has he explained why he doesn't want to do it?

Honestly, after 4 years, I'd be pretty upset about it as well.

I can't help but wonder if he's trying to hide you so he can still flirt with other people or don't want others to know that he's taken?

Does he post up pictures with the two of you?

Good point and good question.

I'm a bit on the fence about publicising my relationship status on facebook. On one hand I want everyone to know that I love this person and am committed to them. On the other hand it's a bit embarassin for family members and everyone to know that it hasn't worked out. I like to deal with my breakups in peace. But the fact that it's important enough for you to bring it up many times and he's ignoring your request is very shady. Usually guys like everyone to know who they are with as in "this is my woman", so there's something going on there and it would make me insecure too.

i think that's not a big deal at all.

i never publicize my relationship with anybody in fb. For example there re a lot of people from my work i don't want people on my work discuss me and my relationship which i know they like to do about people who publicize pics etc.

I have my "in relationship" status but not with the exactly person. I think that's more than enough.

Archived