How do you deal with nasty comments from toxic family members?

dramallama

Might I offer a different perspective?

In every situation, family, school, work, recreation, etc.--there will be rude people you're going to have to contend with...in a perfect world they'd be polite and "not say anything, if they have nothing nice to say" BUT unfortunately they do have a lot to say and will take their misery and project it onto the world whenever possible!

You can't avoid these folk & you need to learn to deal with them yourself--as opposed to asking anyone else to do it for you...your sister has tried & failed....maybe it's about time you take matters into your own hands? Try saying something directly, you don't have to stoop to his level and be insulting--but draw the line in the sand and if he crosses it--leave!

Tell him you aren't comfortable with PDA from him when he attempts to kiss you--there's no law stating you have to be and if you aren't you're entitled to say so & he has to respect that.

When he's insulting--tell him you find his comment distasteful and you think it's a shame when ppl have to put down another to make themselves feel better abt them-self.

NANsense - I told him not to say those things to me and he laughed in my face. He doesn't respect me so anything I say he will not only put me down further, but try to turn it around on me. My sister is the one that chose to marry into that family, not me, so I see no need to attend events where they are. Besides, they sap all of the fun from being there because when they are not talking about themselves, they are putting one of my family members down.

turnera - I'm in my mid twenties. My dad is kind of oblivious to what goes on, but I might tell him. I know/hope that he wouldn't like it, but I don't see him all that much TBH. My mum has an avoidant behaviour and NEVER taught us that it is ok to stand up for yourself, even if it ruffles feathers and rocks the boat etc, so she is not really that supportive when it comes to be deciding that I don't want to spend time with them. She will not stand up for me even though it's the right thing to do. And it's not like I want my mummy to come in and save me from a bully (because that's what he is basically) but I want *support* from her and my family. Because I would do the same for them.

Might as well what? Talk to him about it? Tell him to respect me? He doesn't respect me so he will just laugh in my face again if I talk to him about it and turn it around on me, saying that I'm too sensitive. Anyway, I know I've done nothing wrong in this case, and the problem is with my sister's parents in law who are just selfish people. I know what the best course of action is.

Might as well what? Talk to him about it? Tell him to respect me? He doesn't respect me so he will just laugh in my face again if I talk to him about it and turn it around on me, saying that I'm too sensitive. Anyway, I know I've done nothing wrong in this case, and the problem is with my sister's parents in law who are just selfish people. I know what the best course of action is.

You don't need to police this man's behavior. Go to the events, say your hellos from accross the room or patio, stay away from him and turn sweetly deaf to anything he says. There will always be an idiot in every crowd. So what? The degree to which you engage them (or even notice them) is entirely up to you. I pull off a combo plate of stupidity, cheerfulness and remarkable amnesia. It's Teflon, and it works every time.

Head high, and enjoy your family.

Archived