Just found out mom has colon cancer

KeepMe

I hope I put this in the right category...

I just found out yesterday that my mother probably has colon cancer, she went to the emergency room and they told her it was 90% chance ... however, with as bad as things are I know for sure it's cancer. My mother is only 50 years old she just turned 50 last Thanksgiving. She's been living with this for about a year now, and I've done a lot of research and can't seem to find anything on someone whose lived with cancer unknowingly for a year.

I've tried to get her to go the hospital I don't know how many times, she has been defecating blood for about a year. My Aunt lost her job a few months ago and her and my grandmother came to live with my mother. My grandmother got a doctor at the same place my mom has one, and my mom kept promising me she would check into the doctor when she would take my grandma but I think she was too scared. It's so frustrating!

What I want to know now is ... what do you think the chances are if she has been living unknowingly for a year with colon cancer ... how far do you think it's spread? I know it's not for sure, but even speaking hypothetically. Is a year early? Or is it "most likely" too late, I know none of you are probably doctors but I'm completely misunderstood about all of this, I don't even know a guesstimate of how bad she "could" be. You don't have to sugarcoat anything either, I'm okay with being told straight up and bluntly with your opinions. That's all I'm looking for is an opinion, I know none of you can say for sure. I just need "some" kind of help, any response at all.

Her basic health is simple, she's not too unhealthy she's a thin woman. She has smoked most of her life, she quit for about five or six months, gained some weight. She has personal image issues so she started smoking again to keep herself from gaining weight. Smoking is probably her worst unhealthy habit, and not enough exercise. She works at a thrift store in the warehouse area where she stands a lot, walks a lot, prices things. She eats home cooked meals every night but of course she has some candy here and there, but very minimal junk food.

This may not be the case for your mom, but a friend of my bf's had rectal bleeding and diarrhea for about a year, finally had it checked out, and it was colon cancer. She smoked and drank and her doctor said smoking especially can lead to this cancer and it metastisizes quickly. Get your mom into treatment PRONTO! This one can be a killer if it has spread.

As ridiculous as this is, she can't get into the doctor until Tuesday. She went to the emergency room where they had told her it was a 90% chance of colon cancer. At the moment her she no longer can go to the bathroom, the only thing that comes out is a ton of blood. She complains that the pain is like having a baby, she has a mask, or a mass, I couldn't quite understand what she called it, but she said the doctor told her she has a quite large whatever it's called. She complains that it's pushing on all of her insides, so she's been having to lay down. Anyway, the emergency room doctor told her all of this, and also stated that since she indeed did have a local doctor that they would need her doctors permission to do anything for her, excuse me but what the hell is that?

Just like you said, my mother NEEDS help pronto but they won't help her because she doesn't have permission from her doctor who can't get her in for a whole week? However, she was told today on the phone that if she has anymore problems to definitely go to the Emergency Room. I'm going to try and get her in tonight, she needs to get this taken care of. I just hope it's not too late, that's what I'm most concerned about ... I can't lose my mom.

Ugh... I'm soooo sorry for you and your mom. We often take our health for granted and while she has been having problems for a year she has been in complete denial. If she didn't get it looked at perhaps it would go away is the attitude a lot of people have. Unfortunately there are so many things that can be treated if caught early.

You will both be in my prayers. I hope she can find some relief, diagnosis and treatment.

Hugs!

Sadly your mother was in denial. Blood in the stool is a sign that something is wrong and it should be checked out immediately. Your mother will have some tests and if it is cancer she might have surgery and then chemotherapy. They will have to determine what stage tumour it is. My father had colon cancer and they caught it early enough so he is doing fine now. Until the doctors and pathology do the necessary tests and evaluations it is impossible to say whether it has been caught on time or not. There are no definite answers here and the waiting is very hard. There is not much you can do except wait for her to see the doctor and wait for the test results. Hopefully everything will be okay.

What I want to know now is ... what do you think the chances are if she has been living unknowingly for a year with colon cancer ... how far do you think it's spread? I know it's not for sure, but even speaking hypothetically. Is a year early? Or is it "most likely" too late, I know none of you are probably doctors but I'm completely misunderstood about all of this, I don't even know a guesstimate of how bad she "could" be. You don't have to sugarcoat anything either, I'm okay with being told straight up and bluntly with your opinions. That's all I'm looking for is an opinion, I know none of you can say for sure. I just need "some" kind of help, any response at all.

Well colon cancer is typically very treatable. My grandfather had colon cancer, which was found when he was 64 and he is now 80 years old. Blood in the stool should never be ignored, as it can be cancer, though it may also be from other things. It is best to be checked out by a doctor though to know for sure. I hope she can get seen by a doctor soon so that you can know for sure what is going on. Also, if it is colon cancer, it has a genetic link to it, so you will have to be checked, starting at the age of 50(I think that is it). I know my mother and all her siblings have to get checked since my grandpa had it, so that is something you need to know. Hope you get answers soon! be in my prayers.

Ugh... I'm soooo sorry for you and your mom. We often take our health for granted and while she has been having problems for a year she has been in complete denial. If she didn't get it looked at perhaps it would go away is the attitude a lot of people have. Unfortunately there are so many things that can be treated if caught early.

You will both be in my prayers. I hope she can find some relief, diagnosis and treatment.

Hugs!

I thank you so much, my mother and I are like two peas in a pod. I am very close with my parents, and my worst fear ever is losing one of them. I always thought my dad would be first to go, my mothers health didn't even cross my mind because she is so ... prude I guess you could say. She's a homebody she stays with her dog, takes care of everyone, and just so young. My dad has had two heart attacks, flat lined seven times, and the doctors even told him that he shouldn't be alive but it was a miracle that he is. My dad is a super hard worker, he works in a warehouse where he lifts things he shouldn't, he's a heavy smoker and he just isn't in good health.

There are many nights where I cry myself to sleep because I fear of losing one of my parents even when both of them are in good conditions the thoughts just come up, and I realize that sometime or another it's a part of life and I will lose them. It's almost become such a phobia, I'm only 20 years old, and they are really all that I have. Now my worst fear might have already begun, and it's happening and there is nothing I can do about it. I think that is the part that stings the most; she may have it and if it perhaps "is" too late, I can't do anything but let it run it's course.

I really thank you for your reply.

Hi KeepMe,

I'm very sorry to hear this. There isn't much I can say except that you and your family are in my thoughts. I hope things turn out for the best and that the doctors are able to treat the cancer.

My father had a similar situation with colon cancer where he didn't get it treated soon enough. Unfortunately I don't think you'll like the results that I would be able to share with you. I don't want to scare you.

Sadly your mother was in denial. Blood in the stool is a sign that something is wrong and it should be checked out immediately. Your mother will have some tests and if it is cancer she might have surgery and then chemotherapy. They will have to determine what stage tumour it is. My father had colon cancer and they caught it early enough so he is doing fine now. Until the doctors and pathology do the necessary tests and evaluations it is impossible to say whether it has been caught on time or not. There are no definite answers here and the waiting is very hard. There is not much you can do except wait for her to see the doctor and wait for the test results. Hopefully everything will be okay.

Thank you.

I know a year is a long time, my gut instincts are on the fence. I normally have pretty good senses, I usually won't panic on certain things that may go wrong or bad, and usually they turn out okay. A part of me at times doesn't get worried about it I have feelings that she will be okay, but at other times I get into deep thought and I have this horrible heavy pain on my heart.

My brother was telling me about his friend who had a 22 pound tumor on his colon and the doctors were able to remove it just fine and he's okay til' this day. We will know Tuesday what's going on, and what her chances are ... it's just one of those cases that you don't think it's ever going to happen to you. =/

Hi KeepMe,

I'm very sorry to hear this. There isn't much I can say except that you and your family are in my thoughts. I hope things turn out for the best and that the doctors are able to treat the cancer.

My father had a similar situation with colon cancer where he didn't get it treated soon enough. Unfortunately I don't think you'll like the results that I would be able to share with you. I don't want to scare you.

At this point I want to be prepared for what I may be facing to be completely honest. The thought that my mom is going through this scares me alone ... I've done this research and it seems like everything is so vague, I have one site telling me one thing and another telling me another. I think that's what drives me crazy most because I don't know. The anticipation with the waiting for the doctors is enough to make me want to jump out of my skin, I'm really antsy and one of those people that if something is wrong it has to be fixed right here and now before it gets even a second worse. I've been trying to talk my mom into going to the emergency room just so they will admit her to the hospital and get an early start on it.

I'm fearing the worst, and a part of me feels like it could be too late. At this point though I know nothing, I don't know how soon "catching it early" is, I don't know how long too late is. I'm just hurting, and like I told someone else ... the hardest part is this is happening and there is nothing I can do to change it I have to ride it out.

Is your mom's only symptom bloody stool?

It could be from chronic internal hemorrhoids which is another possibility other than the possible cancer diagnosis, along with anal fissures, diverticula, inflammatory bowel disease, etc., all of which can cause a person to have bloody stool/blood on the stool. Has she had a colonoscopy done? Had blood drawn? Typically, colon cancer isn't as aggressive as other forms of cancer. It's one of the more treatable ones. They can remove polyps or anything else they have to, which can decrease the spread of it. Medical technology today has come a long way, so even if caught later, there is a lot they can do.

Is your mom's only symptom bloody stool?

It could be from chronic internal hemorrhoids which is another possibility other than the possible cancer diagnosis, along with anal fissures, diverticula, inflammatory bowel disease, etc., all of which can cause a person to have bloody stool/blood on the stool. Has she had a colonoscopy done? Had blood drawn? Typically, colon cancer isn't as aggressive as other forms of cancer. It's one of the more treatable ones. They can remove polyps or anything else they have to, which can decrease the spread of it. Medical technology today has come a long way, so even if caught later, there is a lot they can do.

I sure hope so, right now she is unable to go to the bathroom. When she does, nothing but blood comes out. For about a year now she has been defecating blood, a pretty decent amount at that. She lives 30 minutes away so I don't see her everyday, in fact with weather it's been a couple weeks. I was informed by my dad that she went to the emergency room, when I spoke to my mom she said she had horrible pain and all that was coming out was blood. She then told me that the doctors denied her since she has a local doctor and they couldn't do anything without her doctors permission.

They said that with her symptoms they were not going to sugar coat anything and that in reality it's a 90% chance it's cancer. They would like to hope and think that it's either a cyst, or a bad infection, but my mom said they pretty much told her it was cancer. She is on hydrocodone because the pain has intensified not only does she have bloody stools but she says she can't walk because she feels like she is having a baby. She says it feels like something is pushing on her insides and pretty bad pain. She isn't eating because she can't produce a stool therefore the food she eats just causes more abdominal pain.

I've looked and looked and looked to see how fast cancer can spread, and if a year is too late. I know there are a ton of variables to what stage colon cancer may be at, I've read through several "stages" of colon cancer but no one even gives a guesstimate which is all I really want. Is it most likely a year too late? Or in most cases does it take a couple years? I did discover that colon cancer spreads slowly, it starts out as Polyps that turn into cancer that start mutating and duplicating. They say with screenings these can be detected and it could take years before colon cancer gives any symptoms because as another person said it's the "silent killer."

That only makes me wonder if now that she has had all these symptoms and the symptoms are bad enough to where she can't even produce a bowel movement are we most likely looking at a stage four or stage five cancer? I know none of you are doctors and can tell me anything for sure, I just don't even know what to expect or how bad this case really is.

Our friend that had colon cancer was producing blood, but also she had horrible diarrhea and that "full/pushing" feeing you describe. She was Stage 4, and it had spread to her liver. I hope that your mother's has not spread. If it has not spread, colon cancer is very treatable. You have all my prayers and good wishes.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived