Wisdoms are coming out!

So I'm going in a few days to get my wisdom teeth out (all 4).

I'm really nervous. I am familiar with the procedure but I'm worried about the pain. I also have never been under anestesia.

I will be "consciously sedated"...so I'll be conscious, but yet I'll have amnesia so I won't remember anything anyway. Is that how that works? That's what I've read.

My friend had them out and he popped Vicodin for a week (then promptly bragged on FB "lulz I iz like House!"). My boyfriend scoffed at that and said "I didn't need pain pills at ALL when I got mine out". My boyfriend also had stitches that needed to be removed but that was in the 60s so is it different today? My other guy friend had his out and had stitches that didn't dissolve so he had to go back and have them removed. But he said that was "weird" because he had some major complications (he has bad teeth).

1) So what's it like being "consciously sedated"?

2) What is the pain like afterward?

3) Will I have stitches that will dissolve on their own?

I'm scared but I know I NEED to have these puppies out. 2 are pushing through the gums and causing me pain.

I'm such a baby when it comes to physical pain and I'm stressing about it. Good thing I can't eat anything before because I'll probably get sick or something.

I think this will vary with everyone, but my experience was not a terrible one.

I had to get all four out, and two of them required stitches. I was put under completely and then given medication for pain after (just Tylenol 3, I think), as well as antibiotics incase I got an infection (because of the stitches)

I didn't find the pain bad at all. Sure, it wasn't comfortable because it made eating certain foods difficult, but I thought it would be MUCH more painful. I got mine out on a Wednesday and I was back at school that Friday.

I didn't swell at all. The only bad thing that I experienced was the effects of the antibiotics. They left me feeling a bit sick to my stomach and tired a lot. Otherwise, no real side affects.

Also, my stitches just came out when they were ready to.

I wouldn't worry too much.

I can only comment on my own experience. I had all four removed at the same time, and two had to be cut out because they were impacted.

The worst part was the litocaine. They had to inject my jaw and gums about a hundred times I swear, to make sure I was numb wherever I needed to be.

Afterwards, I was in a lot of pain for a few days, and had pain meds, but like I said, two were impacted.

If yours aren't impacted and you aren't getting the litocaine, you should fair better than I did.

I couldn't have to wait to have mine out!!! Any pain was better then the pain I was feeling with them there, I tell ya! I'm a baby when it comes to pain too. I must say the pain I felt afterwards was nothing like the pain I felt before. However, like the above poster said....mine were not impacted.

Got mine pulled out in college. I was knocked out when it was done. Woke up mouth full of gauze, blood dripping on my favorite V-neck tshirt. One of lower gum bled for a month. My face swolled up, looked like the next generation elephant man. Ate soup for a couple weeks. But you're gonna be fine really!

Ooh, fudgie, do you really have to have all 4 done at once? The advantage of having one side done at a time is you have the other side to chew with. Also the pain (if you have it) is half as much.

I had two at a time out (iall 4 were impacted) and after the novocaine wore off (that evening) it was a dull pain for about 12 hours, but not so much pain that I needed any medication or painkillers.

The most annoying thing was that I couldn't open my mouth enough to put food into it easily for about 48 hours. I felt like my jaw was wired shut. I still don't understand that. But anyway, 2 at a time twice I think is worth "less than the sum of its parts".

Oh, also, you will probably the kind of stitches that dissolve (or rather, one day you'll be rinsing and the tiny threads will end up coming out).

1) So what's it like being "consciously sedated"? Don't know, I only had local anaesthetic in the gum so remember the whole thing when I had one wisdom removed a few months ago. I actually preferred this in the end because the dentist did a great job and I know not to get so worked up if I have to go through it again. At least you're getting all of them done at once and out the way now, I won't be surprised if I'm back in the chair in a year or so lol! There was no pain for me during the procedure, just drilling and "shoogling" by the dentist to loosen the tooth. Kept my eyes closed for most of it and the hour passed relatively quickly. So, as for conscious sedation I'd imagine the time would go very quickly and you won't be aware of much.

2) What is the pain like afterward? My extraction was apparently a difficult one. It was pretty much horizontal and had to be cut into sections to pull out of the socket. No jawbone had to be removed thankfully (I think this can worsen the pain). I coped on over-the-counter ibuprofen for a week or so and didn't feel the need to try anything stronger. The worst bit was the stiffness of my jaw after being stretched open for so long and I found opening to chew really tough for about 4 -5 days afterwards. I was allowed to eat solid foods on the other side of my mouth the same day as the procedure but I really didn't feel like it! Soup will be your friend. I guess my pain wasn't comfortable, more like a dull ache but it was managable!

3) Will I have stitches that will dissolve on their own? I expect most clinics nowadays use soluble stitches, but like your friend mine didn't dissolve completely and got them removed during my checkup a fortnight later. This took like two or three minutes to take out. Just keep the extraction sites clean. If they have to make a large incision in the gum like in mine they will probably use stitches to allow the hole to heal quicker and bleed less.

Good luck! And don't stress, as you say you need them out, just imagine a mouth without those menaces and I bet you'll be looking forward to the procedure day

PS. be ready for golf ball cheeks though, so have those ice packs ready! My cheek swelled up the next day after extraction and went down a couple of days later. I looked like Rumer Willis!

I can't answer your first one because when I had mine out I was under general anaesthetic because the extraction was difficult. The pain wasn't bad, and I had Co-codamol link removed. I think I reduced what I was taking a few days after the operation and after 7 days I didn't need any painkillers at all. It's more that your jaw does feel strange after and I had bruising all along my cheeks which was a bit sore but really it wasn't bad considering. Every day it got a little better.

You'll probably have dissolving stitches, I did and almost everywhere does these days.

I'm such a baby when it comes to physical pain and I'm stressing about it. Good thing I can't eat anything before because I'll probably get sick or something.

I think the anticipation is probably often worse than the actual event. With the painkillers I was never in any real pain just a bit sore and stiff for a few days. Oh and make extra time for eating as it takes much longer for a little while after!

1) So what's it like being "consciously sedated"?

it's like having a dream. bring your ipod and mellow music to enjoy. you will hear them talking and enjoy your music. you really won't give a crap about anything.

it's sore. try not to swallow the blood since your body can't digest it. I was spitting into a cup (gross I know) but swallowing it is worse since you throw it up anyway (which i did too) It was uncomfy, not horrible.

Most doctors use stitches that dissolve on their own.

Get ready for puffy cheeks, liquid food, some discomfort, and lots of drool while you sleep.

Hey there

the worst thing you can do is come on a forum and ask what it is like!! I did this when i was about to get all 4 out earlier this year and read absolute horror stories.

2 of mine were impacted. I was put under a General.

All i remember is them giving me the general, telling me i would feel something cold go up my arm and bang I woke up with a very numb jaw. They wouldnt let me leave for like 2 hours and i wanted to go home. had a massive headache but nothing unbearable.

For the next week i was sore and numb and couldnt eat much. I was on Nurofen for 1 week after but there was definitely no horrible pain. The stitches disolved after a few weeks but it was pretty gross cause food kept getting stuck in the holes and between stitches. In the end i gave the stitches a little tug and they came out. There was a lot of bruising on my face for 1.5 weeks after.

I had to fly 5 days after my procedure for 24 hours and actually fainted after waiting 30 minutes in the queue so remember to keep your fluids up and try to eat even if its hard.

So, dont worry. Its inconvienient but bearable!

Let us know how you go

oh also mine had not grown in yet so they made an incision on each of the four gums and shattered the tooth and scraped it out. at one point they did have to up the gas, but like I said you are going to be feeling so out of it and good from the drugs it won't even matter.

Thanks for all the good info, guys.

Mine are not impacted. Should be fairly normal and go well. Just a little nervous, that's all.

Unfortunately, I do have to get them all out at once. This was the only date I could get for the extraction before late August. Gosh, they were booked.

Thanks for all the good info, guys.

Mine are not impacted. Should be fairly normal and go well. Just a little nervous, that's all.

Unfortunately, I do have to get them all out at once. This was the only date I could get for the extraction before late August. Gosh, they were booked.

After it's all done and you're healed I'm sure you'll be thankful you got them all out at once. Cause you won't have to go back again! That's how I felt anyway.

I was put under...I do not remember a thing aside from them putting something on my nose and then BAM..waking up. I have negative reactions to anaesethetic, so I was puking minutes after waking up. It was awful!

Aside from that..the pain was managable. I was back at work a few days after, with just a sore jaw. I had one that was impacted, and that gave me the most pain, but it wasn't unbearable.

My stitches dissolved/fell out on their own, and had absolutely no issues with recovery.

If I wasn't puking when I woke up, the whole thing would have been a breeze!

PM me when you've had them out and I'll tell you a really awful story about conscious sedation

Don't worry, it's nothing you'd need to worry about, which will be clear when I tell you it, but it's not really public-forum friendly either.

If they're not impacted then you'll probably have an easier time than some with it! My sisters are impacted and she's dreading having hers out. But honestly, with the sedation it'll be a lot like a dream afterwards. Some people remember snippets, others remember pretty much nothing.

Okay thanks, again. I will PM you once it's over with, HouseKitten. Any horror stories now would not be good. I'd like to get my teeth out first.

So I'm under the impression now that the stitches dissolve totally, but if they don't and just "fall out" like some of you said, is it possible to choke/gag? I'm quite gaggy.

The stiches weren't huge. The one of mine that fell out, was a little piece. Was like finding a dried herb or something stuck in your teeth. Not a giant 7" piece of string floating around in your mouth.

Only one of mine had stitches. It was impacted and he had to cut into the gum because the tooth was growing under the other tooth. The others remained just open holes.

Are all four bothering you and also growing in a direction they absolutely have to come out?

I only want to ask since depending on the dentist some will make you take it out 'anyway' while others will recommend only if it's bothering you or will bother you in the future. I haven't taken mine out and the dentist don't see the need to either.

Are all four bothering you and also growing in a direction they absolutely have to come out?

I only want to ask since depending on the dentist some will make you take it out 'anyway' while others will recommend only if it's bothering you or will bother you in the future. I haven't taken mine out and the dentist don't see the need to either.

Yeah, he saw the x-ray. 2 were currently bothering me, 1 was GOING to bother me for sure in the future, and 1 was jut a "Maybe" so yeah they all came out.

I am D-O-N-E. They are all out. I even got to save my teeth.

Honestly, the worst part was the Vicodin. I felt fine but a little tired after the surgery but I tried Vicodin twice at home and I threw up several times. I believe I am sensitive to narcotics.

The last thing I remember before the surgery was the surgeon telling me "Oh here's your Versad" and put it into my IV and then me saying (soon after) "OHHHH boy I feel SLOOOOOW" and then I giggled and passed out shortly. Whew.

I am now resting at home. Just spending some time on ENA and then it's off to bed.

Oh I'd be the same probably as far as throwing up, not good with strong pain meds.

Take care & hope you feel better soon. So funny about the IV. When I had a wrist surgery it was the same. The anesthesiologist told me "oh in about five minutes you'll pass out". I just remember him saying that and split second later being woken up. So weird!

Archived