Swimsuit Question:

I am horribly self conscious. I have never actually swum in public. Slowly I'm getting over myself, and I want to get to the beach and feel more normal. I want to feel a bit of sun on my skin, and swim in the actual ocean.

Swim suits terrify me though, especially the bottoms. I don't understand how the women can be at the beach with most of their pelvis showing and not have even the slightest hint of hair or camel toe. I bought a suit, tried it on, and it seems I would have to shave myself down there completely bare just to not have a faux-package or hairs sticking out. That's not an option for me, I don't like the look and I'm prone to ingrown hairs.

It seems that an obvious solution would be a pair of swim trunks, like men wear, only a bit shorter. Or maybe a really short skirt. Anything that would go down to the bottom of my lady parts.

I haven't found anything like that despite tons of searching. Either the swimsuits expose the pubic region or they are analogous to mens trunks. I don't want to wear mens trunks because they would look VERY masculine on me, my six packs, and my mean biceps. I just wish there were more options for young women who don't like showing their downstairs to the public.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm not sensitive to advice, feel free to say anything. Especially if you have a search-term or an online store for me

I don't know how you feel about bikinis but some come with boyshorts as the bottom instead of a regular 'panty' shape. That might help.

Most swimsuits I've tried, the material isn't thin like underwear so you shouldn't get hairs sticking through. If you get in-grown hairs, maybe you could trim the hair down so they don't change your shape so much.

Aww, don't feel that way! I totally get where you're coming from, but you shouldn't let it keep you from enjoying the beach.

My friend has a big butt and thighs so she wears a swim-skirt (not old-ladyish at ALL, it's super cute on her) and a bikini top. There are plenty of swimsuits out there, so you should be able to find one you're comfortable in.

I recommend getting a 2-piece, even if you don't want to show your stomach. I wear a tankini (I'm totally not comfortable showing my stomach) now so I get the support from the top and my choice of cute bottoms. It's easier to mix-and-match this way.

What's your price range?

I think there are a lot of cute options (skirt bottoms, boy shorts, etc.) What does the one you found look like? A lot of women use a delapitating cream (like Nair) instead of shaving to avoid razor burn. If you're not comfortable with the exposure of some bathing suits, maybe wear a cute cover-up (sarong or skirt or shorts) that you wear until you go into the water and can put right back on (leave it with your flip flops and towel just out of the water).

Best wishes...I hope you get to enjoy the sun and water this summer!!

I can't wear normal bikini bottoms b/c of hoe fat my legs are. I feel really self-conscious of them. Even the boy cut shorts are too showy for me. My bikini now is a normal bikini top (b/c I enjoy how my stomach looks) and a skirt for the bottom. The skirt is a good length. Probably mid thigh. No issues with shaving or anything b/c you can't see anything. The only issue I have is when I'm tanning (b/c the skirt does cover part of my legs and I want them evenly tanned) and swimming (b/c when I get in the water, the skirt floats up and looks stupid. I just tuck it into the "pantie" part of the bottoms though while I'm in the water and untuck it before I get out).

I think there are a lot of cute options (skirt bottoms, boy shorts, etc.) What does the one you found look like? A lot of women use a delapitating cream (like Nair) instead of shaving to avoid razor burn. If you're not comfortable with the exposure of some bathing suits, maybe wear a cute cover-up (sarong or skirt or shorts) that you wear until you go into the water and can put right back on (leave it with your flip flops and towel just out of the water).

Best wishes...I hope you get to enjoy the sun and water this summer!!

Yeah, totally. I have 4 or 5 different sarongs and I absolutely LOVE them.

The company that I'm linking you to, Title 9 Sports, makes swimsuits that are made for athletic endeavors and not for looking sexy on the beach, so they are quite modest, cover you well, and stay put. There are also swim skirts (with a bottom included) and a boyshort style or two, and then board shorts that you can wear as a swim bottom or as a cover up, and skirts to cover up as well. Board shorts seem to be fairly in on the beach, so you won't look odd if you're wearing the shorts with a bikini top.

It sounds like the suits you must be trying on must be teeny tiny. I think most women do need to shave their bikini line in order to wear a swimsuit without worrying about unsightly hairs, but I have not seen many problems of faux-packages or other such things when I go to the pool.

link removed

My friend has a big butt and thighs so she wears a swim-skirt (not old-ladyish at ALL, it's super cute on her) and a bikini top. There are plenty of swimsuits out there, so you should be able to find one you're comfortable in.

Thanks Jenn.

I can't wear normal bikini bottoms b/c of hoe fat my legs are. I feel really self-conscious of them. Even the boy cut shorts are too showy for me. My bikini now is a normal bikini top (b/c I enjoy how my stomach looks) and a skirt for the bottom. The skirt is a good length. Probably mid thigh. No issues with shaving or anything b/c you can't see anything. The only issue I have is when I'm tanning (b/c the skirt does cover part of my legs and I want them evenly tanned) and swimming (b/c when I get in the water, the skirt floats up and looks stupid. I just tuck it into the "pantie" part of the bottoms though while I'm in the water and untuck it before I get out).

Where did you get the skirt? Is it normal swimsuit material? I have to admit I've never seen a skirt on a swimsuit...

I think we have the same body type. I've got some pretty gigantic thighs. I don't mind wearing shorter skirts anymore, but only if my waist is showing! Cycling helps, by the way. Won't make them skinny, but it makes them shapelier.

That totally hits the spot! Thank you SO much. Apparently what I was looking for was "board shorts", and there are some super cute ones for girls!

Yeah, I have some super thick hair. A little PSOS goes a long way;-)

Ugh I'm sorry. Swim suits can be so stressful. I actually just got a Victoria's Secret catalog today and could not believe what the models were wearing. I've always liked their suits, but I feel like they've gone WAY too far. Maybe I'm just a prude, but I'm decently thin and would feel absolutely naked in one of those!

Glad you like what you see on the T9 site. The customer service is SUPER helpful if you call with any questions. They'll talk you through the catalog and know a ton about fit. The thing I don't like about T9 is that the shipping is quite expensive, and you have to pay for return shipping (if you do return something, go to the post office and buy your own label, don't use the SmartLabel they provide, it's a rip-off!) BUT on the other hand you can return something at any time. So you can try your stuff out at the beach, and if it disappoints, send it back (yes, even after you've worn it), and they'll either refund or send you an exchange back with free shipping. They're also fine with you returning stuff if you have an oops with it right after you buy it - ie if you spill coffee on your brand new swimsuit or whatever, you can send it back and get a new one minus the stain. That's pretty cool.

(I realize I sound like a spokesperson but I swear I'm not!)

Where did you get the skirt? Is it normal swimsuit material? I have to admit I've never seen a skirt on a swimsuit...

I think we have the same body type. I've got some pretty gigantic thighs. I don't mind wearing shorter skirts anymore, but only if my waist is showing! Cycling helps, by the way. Won't make them skinny, but it makes them shapelier.

You can get them anywhere from Target to Macy's. They're really becoming popular. The ones I've seen are swimsuit material.

Ugh I'm sorry. Swim suits can be so stressful. I actually just got a Victoria's Secret catalog today and could not believe what the models were wearing. I've always liked their suits, but I feel like they've gone WAY too far. Maybe I'm just a prude, but I'm decently thin and would feel absolutely naked in one of those!

Yeah, most of the swimsuits are painted on. Where I live, around half of the women wear thongs to the beach. I'm always thinking "The sun shouldn't shine there!!!".

Glad you like what you see on the T9 site. The customer service is SUPER helpful if you call with any questions. They'll talk you through the catalog and know a ton about fit. The thing I don't like about T9 is that the shipping is quite expensive, and you have to pay for return shipping (if you do return something, go to the post office and buy your own label, don't use the SmartLabel they provide, it's a rip-off!) BUT on the other hand you can return something at any time. So you can try your stuff out at the beach, and if it disappoints, send it back (yes, even after you've worn it), and they'll either refund or send you an exchange back with free shipping. They're also fine with you returning stuff if you have an oops with it right after you buy it - ie if you spill coffee on your brand new swimsuit or whatever, you can send it back and get a new one minus the stain. That's pretty cool.

(I realize I sound like a spokesperson but I swear I'm not!)

I'm really liking

link removed

and

link removed

But they are a little expensive... Fortunately the exchange rate is favorable!

I do NOT have the thighs for a bikini anymore. Had to adapt as well since I love to be in the water.

Me, personally, I get the kind with a bikini top and a skirt swimsuit bottom. Underneath the skirt it's like a bikini, only difference is it literally looks like a skirt and covers up lady parts and a little of the upper thigh.

I also recommend a thank top-style swimsuit (literally a bathing suit top that is like a tank top) and the skirt suit as well. Those boyshort style swimsuits someone mentioned earlier are good too.

Please get popular, please get popular, please please pretty please... Although I suppose I could always be a trend setter

They are pretty popular here where I live (in the south). Most of us southern girls are curvy and they tend to sell them more then the string thin bikinis.

Archived