Is it worth it for the money...?

Last night I heard about a job opening that's coming up in a few weeks... I know someone who works at this place and is high in the pecking order. He could probably get me a job there if I really wanted him to.

This job pays more then I can even imagine making. I am serious... The money is insane. They are also in the Union and the benefits are excellent.

Anyone reading this is probably wondering why I am debating... The biggest reason is the hours. The job post says between 32-40 hours a week with occasional overtime offered. My roommate worked there for one summer about 10 years ago. That 32-40 hours went up to 60-70 hours really fast. There were even weeks when he put in 80 hours. He eventually couldn't take it anymore and had to quit. Even though the paychecks were huge he just couldn't stand the physical exhaustion and not being able to have any life outside of work and sleep.

My girlfriend was friends with this guy in high school who's Mom worked there. She told me that guy's house was always the party house because his Mom was a singe mom and she was never there. And when she was home she was so exhausted that all she did was sleep.

The guy I know told me they have gotten a little easier on their workers. Before they used to do all this mandatory overtime. I guess now they offer the overtime to people who want it, and they've hired more people.

Another thing that's making me think twice is this being a third shift job. I would hardly ever see my girlfriend... and I would have to pretty much give up the work I do at the shelter. I know the work I do at the shelter doesn't pay, but it's something that's important to me.

I am also planning on going back to school in September. I doubt I could work at this place and be a student at the same time. I did think about working there up until I go back to school though, saving up a lot of money, then quitting when I start college.

Idk... what are some opinions on this?

I would take it. if the money is good, at the very least you can start saving up some money. in case you decide that it's too much for you and you want to quit.

i frequently work 60-70 hours a week. you can still make time for friends, hobbies, etc. but you just have to plan.

I would take it. if the money is good, at the very least you can start saving up some money. in case you decide that it's too much for you and you want to quit.

i frequently work 60-70 hours a week. you can still make time for friends, hobbies, etc. but you just have to plan.

I've worked 60+ hours a week before. But that was at an office job. This is physically demanding factory work. There's a lot of heavy lifting and it's really fast paced. I think there's a difference there.

My roommate at I lived together that summer when he worked there and he really was exhausted all the time.

I've worked 60+ hours a week before. But that was at an office job. This is physically demanding factory work. There's a lot of heavy lifting and it's really fast paced. I think there's a difference there.

My roommate at I lived together that summer when he worked there and he really was exhausted all the time.

Well take some vitamins and start lifting weights.....LOL

You can do this.

ok..honesty here. Sounds like you want us to talk you out of it, because you really dont want to take the job, but since you've been looking for so long, you feel pressured into taking it.

So, if you dont want to do it, DONT.

I don't expect you guys to talk me out of anything. I am having this inner debate with myself and I just wondered what other people thought. Now I know.

I can understand your feelings about it because you will miss your gf. I went through the same thing when I decided to take a 3rd shift position. I cried because I knew I wasn't going to see the bf as much, but it really did make our time more special because we would each take a day to spend together. These were days that were planned and it was such a wonderful thing. We just grew together, to make it work for the both of us.

I don't expect you guys to talk me out of anything. I am having this inner debate with myself and I just wondered what other people thought. Now I know.

I didnt mean to make you angry. It really sounds like you dont want to take the job and you have very valid reasons for not taking it. Do not discount your gf, what makes you happy (the shelter), your physical and mental health and your future school goals. they are very very good reasons for not getting this job. What does your gf think? Can you plan out a week, based on about 50 hours of work and incorporate in gf time, shelter time and everything else that you need? I mean seriously plan it out time-wise and if it doesnt work, then you have your answer. And dont use the phrase "what if", base it on what you KNOW. This is a hard decision and it shouldnt be taken lightly. It's easy to say take the job for the money. But I've quit jobs that made me awesome money, simply because the job itself made me miserable.

i think you should look at your budget. how much money do you have, how long can you afford to look for a job before having to take something? this job sounds like it would pay for your bills and basics and then some. if you don't take this job, how much longer can you stay unemployed without digging into your credit cards?

Anyone reading this is probably wondering why I am debating... The biggest reason is the hours. The job post says between 32-40 hours a week with occasional overtime offered. My roommate worked there for one summer about 10 years ago. That 32-40 hours went up to 60-70 hours really fast. There were even weeks when he put in 80 hours. He eventually couldn't take it anymore and had to quit. Even though the paychecks were huge he just couldn't stand the physical exhaustion and not being able to have any life outside of work and sleep.

Take it for a few months - save money for school or travelling home for a vacation

Helly,

I would suggest trying it out at least. It will probably be rough for awhile, and it's not something you are jumping out of your chair to do, but I think having a job will help you feel better about your situation.

I concur with an above poster about making your time with your GF that much more special because it's rarer (and the job won't last forever). My hubby and I work opposite shifts and don't get a lot of time together, but just spending one evening every two weeks cuddling and watching movies is awesome.

Whatever you decide, make sure it will be right for you and you don't beat yourself up either way.

You've been unemployed a while right?

The recommendation is to take this job and work it until you find something better or you start school. If you're working 60 hours a week, you'll save up some serious money in six months, and can use that for tuition or just a cushion for the next time you're out of work.

If your girlfriend can't tolerate a few months of seeing less of each other because you need to work and earn some money, then she wasn't a keeper to begin with.

You should never turn down an opportunity because it *might* not be what you want based on something someone said in the past... perhaps the environment has changed a lot, and it will be a good thing. If not, you can just keep looking for another job and work this one til you find it.

You already have a leg up walking into it, if you choose, knowing someone high on the pecking order! And it's a union job - things can be changed as you go.

It sounds like one of those things where they work you hard to earn your 'stripes' and if you stick it through, you can be looking at a sweet set up in not a long time. Depends how much you are willing to put in early.

Archived