Male perspective on girls & the way they dress.

ay0_x

Hey all! (eek, it's been a while). I'm single & I've been talking to a few guys [nothing serious], and something's got me curious, in regards to both dating, attraction/approaches, and serious relationships.

Fellas.. If a girl is in daisy dukes and a tank top (but still casual.. we're not talking stripper-wear or anything), and is pretty attractive, are you more likely to approach her than a pretty girl in jeans and a tshirt? Do you judge girls who you deem are dressed too revealingly? Do you ever see a girl, and because of how she's dressed, think "That's definitely fling material.. but gf material".

On the same note, does it bother you if your GIRLFRIEND in a serious relationship dresses that way?

I ask because the guys I grew up with liked modesty, and now some of the guys who I'm talking to like girls to dress sexy (they like the whole trophy girlfriend kinda deal), and then there's guys who seem to genuinely not care, and then there's guys who tell me "Bs, no guy wants other guys looking at their girl, jeans & a top should be uniform".

SO! I need everyone's perspectives on this. I'd also like some female perspectives (Have you ever been with a guy who controlled how you dress etc?)

Personally, if I see a girl who's wearing trashy clothes, I think she's easy. My mind immediately goes to sex, but at the same time, I don't think she's someone who would be good as a long lasting relationship.

Girls in t-shirts and jeans, or casual clothes...now that's more of what I'm attracted to. The girl I'm interested in right now dresses that way, and pretty much every girl I've had a crush on dresses like that. I've never been attracted to the ' * * * * ty' type.

One, I'd never be with a guy who told me I could or couldn't wear something. Hands down.

That said, most of my wardrobe consists of jeans, short shorts, and tank tops. When single I'll wear what I want but in a modest way. Like as you said above, I'll wear the daisy dukes but with a complete t-shirt to not show that much skin.

When your in a serious relationship (as I am now) in a way you do have to be considerate of the fact that you ARE in a relationship. If I wear a tank the shorts aren't too short and if I wear shorts I'm more then likely wear a full t shirt.

I do believe there is a difference in being controlled or made to think you have to dress a certain way and doing it out of respect for you SO. I mean, I wouldn't go around town in shorts and bikin top!

Okay, first off let me clarify something.

When I said my mind immediately goes to sex, that's just how I feel. If I saw a girl dressed in a bikini top and shorts one day, and then dressed casual the next day, my impression would change.

It's just hard to take a girl seriously when she dresses like she wants to take off all her clothes. You think, "Oh, she wants to attract male attention," but it's not really dating that those guys have on their mind.

AHAHA. Yeah, I dress the same way as you pretty much, and I usually have the same attitude when I'm in a relationship, but now I've met guys who are all "No. I want my girl to dress sexy and I want other guys to do a doubletake and be jealous".

AHAHA well I don't know, not to offend anyone, but shorts + bikini top is kind of over the top. And yes, I totally understand the last part.

I wouldn't ever tell my partner what to wear (or what not to), and I certainly wouldn't verbalize any opinion I might have about the way someone chooses to dress (as I would consider that rude), but the clothes a person chooses to wear will often communicate something about them - and by extension, will impact on my level of attraction to them.

I mean, until one gets to know a person on a deeper level than the merely and blatantly superficial, there is little else to base any attraction (or lack thereof) on besides appearance (a category which includes manner and body language in addition to clothing and appearance).

In any case, I am definitely more attracted to women who dress with a degree of class, style, and effort than I am to someone who reveals a great deal, or who puts in very little (or no) effort toward dressing well. It's not earth-shattering, but it has an impact.

AHAHA. Yeah, I dress the same way as you pretty much, and I usually have the same attitude when I'm in a relationship, but now I've met guys who are all "No. I want my girl to dress sexy and I want other guys to do a doubletake and be jealous".

AHAHA well I don't know, not to offend anyone, but shorts + bikini top is kind of over the top. And yes, I totally understand the last part.

Do you WANT a serious relationship out of any of these guys?

There is a difference in dressing sexy and * * * * ty. As I said, you can wear the short shorts but cover up the top so as not to show too much skin or vice versa.

Yeah, the only time I would ever wear a bikin + shorts is at the beach, and even then I'd probably have a light shirt on unbottoned over the bikin top.

On the same note, does it bother you if your GIRLFRIEND in a serious relationship dresses that way?

When it comes to my "girlfriend" (yes I use that term loosely) I have surprised myself at how shallow I really am, given life has told me I don't have that luxury.

I do not care about showing her off to the public, though I can see how that would be a nice ego boost nonetheless. What can I say? I just like someone who is a little vain, and tries to stay healthy (and thus good shape) and can at least dress for occasion. It sounds very shallow for me to say right now I am bothered by the fact I've never seen my "girlfriend" dressed to impress, not even for a dinner date, and yes I was dressed with flowers and all.

Do you WANT a serious relationship out of any of these guys?

There is a difference in dressing sexy and * * * * ty. As I said, you can wear the short shorts but cover up the top so as not to show too much skin or vice versa.

Yeah, the only time I would ever wear a bikin + shorts is at the beach, and even then I'd probably have a light shirt on unbottoned over the bikin top.

Oh no not at all. I despise being a trophy of any sort, intellectually or physically. Those guys are instantly friendzoned.

When it comes to my "girlfriend" (yes I use that term loosely) I have surprised myself at how shallow I really am, given life has told me I don't have that luxury.

I do not care about showing her off to the public, though I can see how that would be a nice ego boost nonetheless. What can I say? I just like someone who is a little vain, and tries to stay healthy (and thus good shape) and can at least dress for occasion. It sounds very shallow for me to say right now I am bothered by the fact I've never seen my "girlfriend" dressed to impress, not even for a dinner date, and yes I was dressed with flowers and all.

I don't think that's shallow at all (but then again Im surrounded by much more blatant superficiality on a daily basis). If you take pride in your appearance you have a right to prefer someone who does the same. I couldn't be with a guy who was always in sweats.

I have known some very "easy" women who actually dressed very toned down not revelaing too much. Having said that, people dress to give a certain image, whether that image is truly them or not...some dress a certain way to attract attention from men but may not be as trampy as they appear. However, appearances do count...if a woman dresses in short shorts, she is going to attract male attention and they will not be thinking about the woman's personality, they will be thinking about how good she might be in bed. When you go for a job interview you dress in a suit to give a professional appearance...in reality you may be totally worthless on the job but the appearance gives a certain impression and potential employers will judge you on the appearance. Same with dressing for social reasons...dress in short shorts and a tank top and a man will get a certain impression vs someone who dresses in longer shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

Well yes, naturally the image one projects might be a false one, but without the facility of psychic ability we run this risk when we interpret most anything. A person's entire persona may be fake, but that doesn't render the importance and the impact of personality, as a whole, void.

It's just more information - neither conclusive nor irrelevant - and I'd be lying if I said I do not process this information.

Archived